Glis Glis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
Many years ago as a young Under keeper on a estate in hertfordshire i used to trap Glis glis (edible doormouuse) for the Top House as anyone eaten these if so how did they taste and can you still trap these and eat them?
Also are they still only found the south of england?

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Glis glis are a protected species as far as I am aware. They can only legally be trapped by people with the corrcet licence to do so. A good friend of mine worked as a pest controller in the Tring area and had the appropriate licence to trap them. Householders who needed them removed from their premises (they can be as destructive as rats) had little option other than call him in as he was the only licenced operative in the area. They provided a good income for him as he could charge for removing them, then sell them at silly prices to restaurants in London, who I imagine then sold them, cooked, at even sillier prices to people who would have probably been ill had they realised excatly what it was they were eating! *LOL*
I don't know much about their range, but I do know that there are (or at least were) a good many to found around the Tring area.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Scally. Longstrider is correct re the professional pest control of these enchanting creatures. They have the strange tag of 'protected pest' although this has been regraded downwards as of last year. All around the village in September there are always complaints of Glis trying to find their hibernating spots and as they are nocternal and terribly noisy and destructive they have to be dealt with. We still have a release programme and a colony locally. Sometimes,unfortunatly, the pest control man has to visit.
I have never eaten one but I really should. You probably know the Roman way of keeping one in a clay pot and feeding it up untill it was very fat then cooking the pot with glis inside. Good fresh travelling food.
The worst incidences are when they drown in the water tank in the roof and the whole family gets a tummy upset. :eek:
We had one (may have been more) last year in the eaves of the shed and when gently poked sounded like a giggle stick! I'm sure that the same one was caught in our bathroom having scaled the brick wall to climb in up onto the bathroom shelf and was caught licking my wifes weatgerm oil. I caught him in a towel and put him in the garden. They tend to shy away from our loft as there is ferret poo up there for that reason!
I really should not say this but they make good pets unlike a grey squirrel!
We are south of tring. I do not think that they get beyond Wycombe. Certainy if you mention the glis word there you are asked to explain yourself. (no insult to Wycombe!)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Scally move done

Nice post swyn you must take me out to see if we can find a few i've never seen one running about in this country.

If I'm not mistaken the Glis Glis in the Chilterns are a feral population of either introducees or escapees and the reason they are here at all has a lot to do with the Rotchilds family am i correct?

James

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
jdlenton said:
If I'm not mistaken the Glis Glis in the Chilterns are a feral population of either introducees or escapees and the reason they are here at all has a lot to do with the Rotchilds family am i correct?

I believe you are, I have an english mammal book at home that states that the edible dormouse population in Hertfordshire was introduced by the Rothschild's. I also read somewhere that they are eaten in slovenia so there must be some recipe's from that corner of the world :)

Ah! found a nice dormice link (including: "the dormouse fur hat as a Slovenian curiosity" :p ):
http://www.glirarium.org/dormouse/index.html

Tom

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi James, PM me for foray but they 'aint about at present. The best description is picture a Grey squirell at 18'' overall length and then think shorter at 14'' and fatter. They are the same colour BUT they have poppy eyes as they are night creatures. Pretty too! Swyn.
PS Also would agree with Rothschild theory......They seem to be responsible for a lot of non-native species invaders!

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
thanks for the replys. My encounters of them were around the berkhamstead area!! and you are right about destructive, i can remeber they devoured a full christmas cake within days the blighters didnt leave me any.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I beleive they were originally introduced by the romans as a food source. :D

I read somewhere (Shooting Times i think) that grey squirrels were serving grey squirrel. They appeared on the menu as "flightless partridge" due to the similarity. I think the weird name puts me off! I'd rather eat my trea rat knowing I was doing my small bit against the blighters!

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE