Glen Etive / Glen Kinglas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Many thanks BeerMonster for the Glen Kinglas tip. I took a trip up there this weekend, heading out on Saturday and returning Sunday. It's a stunning walk up there from the Smokery Inverawe. On the walk up, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye and turned to see three sets of antlers silhouetted against the sky. There were three deer just above me, peering over the brow of the hill, watching my slow progress.

With all my stops to look at each new sight, I only made it this far ...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

... before it got dark, well I did walk a bit further along, as far as the old furnace, but I didn't like the look of my hammocking opportunities. The trees looked like they might shed branches easily, big old gnarly oaks and beeches I think. So, I wandered back and found a flattish spot to bivi.

The trip was a good opportunity to try out a few new toys:

The volcano kettle - I'm sold on these, the volcano effect is seriously impressive to a pyro like me :D Even with a few damp-ish twigs and and good handful or two of dry bracken it got my water boiled in no time.

I also brought along my Nanok -10, while it's a good bit heavier than my summer bag the difference in warmth makes it well worthwhile. I don't know what the night-time temps were but I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped below zero briefly, certainly when I turned in it was getting very chilly and there was still a bit of ice in the shady patches on the route up there.

What I enjoyed the most about my night out was falling asleep to the sound of owls hooting, sounded like there were 3 or 4 of them within earshot, as well as some other night calling birds. I even managed to catch sight of one owl as it floated ghostly white and silent through the branches just a little further up the Glen.

I'll get a couple of pics up once I get a chance to see if any came out, I only carry my camera phone so they may not be the best.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
I went to Loch etive last year, camped on the northwest side of the loch.

hoping to go again in a few weeks once my elbow has healed.

Was it quite flat where you camped, cosfrom the OS maps im finding it hard to find a flat area ?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I went to Loch etive last year, camped on the northwest side of the loch.

hoping to go again in a few weeks once my elbow has healed.

Was it quite flat where you camped, cosfrom the OS maps im finding it hard to find a flat area ?

It's good on that side too, easier to get to as well ;)

Where I camped was just flat enough for a bivi, but not for a tent. If you're hammocking then it doesn't matter so much.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Glad you had fun Andy! :D

Its even more beautiul in spring ........:D :)

(oh and there is normally a breeze blowing down the loch so midgies aren't too bad on the shore)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I took a drive down to Kilchrenan on the Sunday, as you suggested. I had thought to get a bite to eat in there but there was a band off-loading into the Inn, so I didn't go in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE