Glass blowing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Check out the Art Department of various colleges and universities near you. They MIGHT have glass blowing as part of their art classes. There are a few here in the U S that offer glass blowing - as part of their Art program.

And a web search should bring up several specific art/craft schools. There are several here in the U S. But you might find one near you. These Artist Training groups usually have several different things they offer - depending upon the demand and the time of year. The Pendland school is one. I've heard about them because they offer various blacksmithing classes and/or training sessions.

The other option is to find a working glass blower near you, and see about helping out and "learning the trade".

Hope this helps.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What kind of glass blowing do you want to do as there's 2 types. There's traditional glass blowing where bottles, glasses etc are made but there's also scientific glass blowing where glass vessels, tubes etc are made for scientists.

As for where that's harder to learn over here because a lot of colleges steer clear of it due to H&S issues and costs. If it had of been making stained glass windows I could have helped out as I teach that part time at my local college :)

mountain_necro_goat

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2008
Co. Armagh N.Ireland
its actually scientific glass blowing I'm after as I work in a radiolabelling lab, but the thing is
in this lab being able to repair and customize glassware would really improve my sitution and with the state of the economy and a family to support I need to keep my horizons as broad as possible.

thanks for all the info please keep it coming.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No idea but good luck with it. I used to visit the glass blowing place in Hameln, Germany and it was incredible to watch these guys making their glassware. If you get to do it through work, then you are a lucky so and so!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
its actually scientific glass blowing I'm after as I work in a radiolabelling lab, but the thing is
in this lab being able to repair and customize glassware would really improve my sitution and with the state of the economy and a family to support I need to keep my horizons as broad as possible.

thanks for all the info please keep it coming.

Good idea, and good luck with it..

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There's a good section on making/modifying your own glassware for a home laboratory in the book Granddad's Wonderful Book of Chemistry by Kurt Saxon isbn 0-9602258-0-6. It's mostly reprints from home hobby magazines from the late 1800's and early 1900's. The part on glass blowing is a reprint of ELEMENTS OF GLASS-BLOWING by H. P. Waran M.A., PH.D.(Cantab.), F.INST.P. originally published in 1923 in London by G. Bell and Sons Ltd. It's only 34 pages long, and most is on modifying existing glass tubing to bend it, taper it, flair it, or even bend/roll it into cooling coils. And all geared towards setting up your own lab at home.

But many of Kurt Saxon's books are on those ... banned books ... lists in numerous countries. Ever since he got the book rights and republished The Anarchist Cookbook, those guv types hate him (altho the info in that book is generally more dangerous to the person following the recipes than it is to anybody else). The info he published was common knowlege and freely published and used in the early 1900's. But now some of that info MIGHT be ... misused. So they have banned some or all of his books.

You might be able to find an original copy of that pamphlet. It would still require a bunch of work/experimentation to develope any skill at modifying glass tubing. But it might be a start.

I have my doubts about getting enough "training" through an "art class" in glass blowing for your job. But you might investigate any medical/laboratory tech type classes. Or ask a researcher at a nearby college/university about who makes up their specialty glass wear in the lab. And then talk with that company about how/where to learn the trade.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE