Giants Seat meet 19th - 21st April, Sign Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
oh and i'll be hammocking as will Stan the ginger ninja lol

Looks like there will be 5 in my group this time around including Stan (only been twice) and 2 complete newbies lol.

If we keep going like this we might need a bigger wood lol

Dave

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I've got some new stuff that I want to try a tatonka polycotton tarp, an MLD trailstar and a newly modded tipi and wood burner. Hmmm decisions decisions. How far is the walk from car park to site?

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I've got some new stuff that I want to try a tatonka polycotton tarp, an MLD trailstar and a newly modded tipi and wood burner. Hmmm decisions decisions. How far is the walk from car park to site?

Not too far if we are where we were last time

oh and i'll be hammocking as will Stan the ginger ninja lol

Looks like there will be 5 in my group this time around including Stan (only been twice) and 2 complete newbies lol.

If we keep going like this we might need a bigger wood lol

Dadadada Stan the Man! Love having Stan around lol

Ive got 2 with me: My brother and my uni friend. S'gonna be fun finding a spot we can camp up near each other :p

lol what axe is it Matt?

what kind of grind etc?

Its a Husqy hatchet mate. Convex grind. I've got it shiny and it should split fine (untested as I live in a flat lol), but I want to get it shaving sharp and after the hours I've put into it so far, I'm going to need some expert tuition otherwise I'll probably end up making it worse by constantly trying to sharpen it lol

Ooo, look at that. Multi-quoted! im getting good at this forum lark :D

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Hammocking meself. Oh, someone is showing me how to sharpen my axe at this meet. Please? :p Getting right peed of at the whole axe sharpening thing[/QUOTEThats cool if you are hammocking, but dont you think it would be good to do the artic set up, Dave Rob and myself are. We are setting up around one fire for practice. Dave and Rob have a polish lavu each to try and we have some ideas we want to share. Hammocking is certainly doable in the artic. Teepe proved that but the amount of bulk required is not to be underestimated. If you are going to hammock in the artic i suggest speaking to teepe {pete}as he has the cold hammocking record, and he knows the score. If you do go for the hammock in the artic remember me Dave and Rob will be close to a big fire and you will have to cold camp, but cold camping is cool sorry bad joke.There are a lot of set ups to choose from and all work differently. Find the one that works for you,and we will help you work it in to are set up. Dave bromley set his hammock up once with a fire and reflector and a lot of the heat from the fire traped under his tarp right were he was sleepng. If you set a tarp up with one side to the ground and one side open to the fire you would be comfy, if the weather was not bad. Mad dave and i were ok with a open bivvey set up because the weather was calm and there was no wind or spindrifts. The lavu idea is new and we are using them for spin drifts and personal sleeping and washing space. They are fire retardent and water proff, light, warm, cheap and repairable. Only down side is they are small but so is Dave LOL and Robs no giant. I will extend mine a bit, im not telling you to get one or telling you what to do i am only filling you in. See you there pall.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
My polish laavu came yesterday from military mart , one half was good grade one the other half was knackered it had buttons missing and some of the buttons that were their were broke in half and the top had a big rip in it , so most likely will be in a tent of ssome sort unless they send me another one before the weekend .

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
@ RedFox

I'll probably be bivvying it in the arctic tbh, so ill miss out the hammock on this trip on your advice. Hopefully my dd should be good with the fire. Me and my buddies should hopefully be getting there early as possible on Friday, so any hint of where the setup will be? Near to where we were last time?

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
@ RedFox

I'll probably be bivvying it in the arctic tbh, so ill miss out the hammock on this trip on your advice. Hopefully my dd should be good with the fire. Me and my buddies should hopefully be getting there early as possible on Friday, so any hint of where the setup will be? Near to where we were last time?
PM sent :) ...

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
My polish laavu came yesterday from military mart , one half was good grade one the other half was knackered it had buttons missing and some of the buttons that were their were broke in half and the top had a big rip in it , so most likely will be in a tent of ssome sort unless they send me another one before the weekend .
Thats not like military mart to send a bad laavu out. I hope you get it in time rob;I have made a couple of chalk boards today i will bring them for us all to get our ideas across on pulks and whatnot. If the weather is going to be wet shall we take the super canvas?

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
yes the big canvas would be worth taking and setting high up in case its persisting down , i recieved another laavu today from military mart and an apology for sending a knackered one ,i checked both halves of this one and one half was knackered it was ripped and the eylets had fell out, fortunatley i hadnt posted the other back so at least i have to decsent halves ,I will bring a tent with me as well as my laavu in case the laavus not that comfy as im having an injection on my spine on thursday and it sometimes leaves me a bit uncomfy for a day or two , What time do you want to meet on friday?

Last edited:

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Ah jeez, the tent I ordered from Amazon has been returned to seller as the stupid couriers didn't bother leaving a re-delivery details card -_- No idea whether I'll be able to get hold of one in time to attend now :/

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Ah jeez, the tent I ordered from Amazon has been returned to seller as the stupid couriers didn't bother leaving a re-delivery details card -_- No idea whether I'll be able to get hold of one in time to attend now :/

What tent was it and how much? I've got a north face tadpole 23 with footprint which I was gonna put in classifieds if you're interested? I can bring it with me so you're sorted!

Runway clearance granted :)

1. Dave +3
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil
5. Welchyd1 (Dave)
6. Mad Dave
7. Crowman
8. Phaestos
9. Noodoo
10. Redfox
11. FireCrest
12. Gurnoid
13. Jim_Aramis
14. The Ratcatcher
15. caernbanog +1
16. LittleChief +2 (Gavdalf the Grey and Offroad Willy)

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
I should get done running my handcuff course by 5pm on fri. Will drive stright over and stay the night. On duty on sunday so only can make the one night.

1. Dave +3
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil
5. Welchyd1 (Dave)
6. Mad Dave
7. Crowman
8. Phaestos
9. Noodoo
10. Redfox
11. FireCrest
12. Gurnoid
13. Jim_Aramis
14. The Ratcatcher
15. caernbanog +1
17. Mentalnurse (fri only)

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
Im thinking of heading up Friday and stay til the Sunday.

1. Dave +3
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil
5. Welchyd1 (Dave)
6. Mad Dave
7. Crowman
8. Phaestos
9. Noodoo
10. Redfox
11. FireCrest
12. Gurnoid
13. Jim_Aramis
14. The Ratcatcher
15. caernbanog +1
18. Fell Monkey

hammockhead

Apr 30, 2012
manchester
1. Dave +3
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil
5. Welchyd1 (Dave)
6. Mad Dave
7. Crowman
8. Phaestos
9. Noodoo
10. Redfox
11. FireCrest
12. Gurnoid
13. Jim_Aramis
14. The Ratcatcher
15. caernbanog +1
18. Fell Monkey
19. Hammock Head +2 (sat only)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
1. Dave +3
2. Cliv
3. Bilmo
4.Kendalphil
5. Welchyd1 (Dave)
6. Mad Dave
7. Crowman
8. Phaestos
9. Noodoo
10. Redfox
11. FireCrest
12. Gurnoid
13. Jim_Aramis
14. The Ratcatcher
15. caernbanog +1
18. Fell Monkey
19. Hammock Head +2 (sat only)
20. Spikey DaPikey.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Lol I'll be bringing my leather working tools with me this weekend, the only things i don't have any spare of are thread and leather. If anyone wants to make anything bring some leather along and we'll give it a go.

Disclaimer: I have not now nor ever professed to be brilliant at leather working, but i can show you how i do stuff. it might also be nice t see some of the tools that are used if thinking about getting into it yourself.

Thanks

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Gonna be a biggish meet this one by the looks, if we have a communal fire there will need to be a fair amount of wood collected. If anyone wants to bring wood processing gear i.e. saws, splitting mauls etc that would be FAB.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE