Giants Seat Dates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Martin

The basha and sleeping kit will be fine, and there's hundreds of trees. There's dead wood, but all fires must be off the ground as the leaf mould is several metres deep in places and behaves like peat if it catches fire. A candle lantern and a head torch will be OK, and none of us will say anything about DPM (unless they want to know where you got it from!)

Theres a water point at the toilet block, which also has showers. See you there.

Alan

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi folks,

I've just been up to Giants Seat this afternoon for another look around, and had a talk with one of the comittee.

We can use any dead wood we find, and there's lots of it, from twigs to full logs.There are a couple of half oil drums in usable condition, and a few brick fire bases in the woodland area which will need clearing out before we use them. Apparently they've not been used for years, so bring some sort of digging tool if you have one.

There will be a tap available for water, and we will have access to the toilets and showers.

The area is a bit wet at the moment, with some snow still lying in the woods, but there are plenty of dry(ish) places for ground dwellers. You might need to be a bit careful when moving around in the dark, as there are some slippery/boggy patches. Other than that the place is OK.

There may be other groups on the site, so we need to make a good impression if we want to use the site again. If you're coming in a vehicle, please be careful when parking as there is only a limited amount of parking space.

The entrance can be hard to spot, especially in the dark. It's on a bend next to a white house called Milestone House. There's a sign for the scout camp which is hard to see if you're coming from Whitefield, but there's a cluster of "For Sale" signs right next to it. Follow the surfaced track to the end then take the left hand gate on to the rough track and follow that to the camp site. Be warned, there's a steep drop on the left as you're coming in towards the site.

This is an open site, as it's far too big to fence off, and a public footpath runs through the area. I will have a map of the area with me for anybody who's interested.

See you all there

Alan

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
hi is there still many folks going to this, me and fox and his nephew are still going just wondered who else is still going see you all there tommorow night.

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
yep, unless the gods of work reign down righteous anger I'm there. but I might only make it on saturday.

is anyone going with experience of MSR whisperlites? I've one and I can't get the thing to run decently - if anyone can give me a some tips I'd appreciate it.

ps yes, I've watched a million youtube vids, primed the beasty, checked & cleaned all I can. still no luck :(
pps yes I will be bringing another stove so I'm not forced to scrounge!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
On our way, chuckin dahn cats n dogs, wiper fallen off, thick traffic....lookin forad to pitchin in ddrk....reyt laugh :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE