Giant puffballs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have been watching a quiet, rarley visited area near me where puffballs grow in profusion every year waiting for them to appear, however for the last couple of weeks due to being very busy I have not had the time to go and check up on them...... untill yesterday.

where lo and behold over a hundred had appeared! unfortunately I had missed most of them and they had almost all gone or were starting to go to spore :(

I did however find three large ones that were still good to eat, which is more than enough. I dropped one in at my parents house, and took the other two home.

P1010059.jpg

P1010068.jpg

fried up with some salt, pepper, and a little chicken stock they were absolutely delicious and extremely filling! :D

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Nice one Stuart they grow near me but in a well walked bit of spare ground freqented by many so if you dont see em first they are picked or worst kicked around by kids . The chicken stock for flavour sounds like a great idea as they seem to take on flavours well. Soon as im mobile again Im gonna get out foraging.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Oh no!!!! who let stuart into the kitchen!!!

Good find there..... some one already got to them down here ..... looks like I'll have to find another patch for next year.

:)
Ed

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Nice find Stuart. They are an under appreciated fungi yet one of the easiest to identify :) Good recipe tip too.

For those that may not know it, here is a link for the fungi here 'Giant Puffball (Langermannia gigantea)

Don't despair if you missed them right now as they can appear anytime now and into the autumn.

Some nice info from Roger Phillips, Mushrooms:
The word 'puff-ball' is a corruption of Puck or Poukball, anciently called Puck-fish. The Irish name is Pooks-foot from the Saxon, `Pulker-fish', a toadstool. The American Indians used various species of puff-balls, eaten in their early stages of growth, either raw, boiled or roasted. The Zunis dried them for winter use, while the Iroquois fried them and added them to soups. The Omaha Indians cut the giant puff-ball into chunks and fried it like meat. When picked for consumption the flesh should still be pure white. As they age, the flesh turns yellowish. A good, young specimen can be kept in the fridge for a few days.

I found a great way to eat them is fried in bread crumbs and here is a recipe again from the same source:

Crunchy Puff-ball

Make fresh breadcrumbs and toast them under the grill. Make a batter by whipping the egg lightly with a little water, then gradually mix in the flour. Flavour with pepper and salt and leave for 20 minutes for the flour to swell. Clean the puff-ball (it is usually unnecessary to peel it), then cut into slices about ½cm (¼ in) thick. Dip first in the batter and then in the breadcrumbs and fry in the fat created by frying the bacon, until they are a lovely, golden brown. Serve with bacon, for breakfast.

Young puff-ball
6 slices bacon
1 egg
50 g (2 oz) flour
Fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
Salt and pepper

Serves Four

Do make sure you only use the young and firm specimens for eating to fully appreciate them. They are somewhat like Tofu in texture so would suit veggie recipes using that perhaps.

They apparently have antiseptic properties and can be used for field dressings but I don't have any info to hand.

I wonder whether dried ones could be a source of tinder? Never tried that.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Alas the Giant puff balls are now gone till next year :(

but 100 meters away from where I found them a crop of shaggy inkcaps has sprung up :D

Torin and me collecting some for dinner
(torin is supposed to be supplying the rabbit, but was preoccupided with pulling the mushrooms apart!)
shaggy.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Neil1 said:
Stu , they look more like shaggy ink caps, still good to eat but don't have alchohol in your system.
Neil

Ah well spotted Neil, I meant Shaggy inkcaps, Thats what happens if you post in a rush I suppose. :tongue-ti

I think and I may be wrong here so correct me if I am, that the problems with alcohol are restricted to the common ink caps (Coprinus atramentarius) and are not found in the shaggy ink cap (coprinus comatus)

I dont drink so its never been a problem for me :rolleyes:

(I have edited the original post so as not to be confusing)

shaggy parasols are of course completly different and look more like this:
(note these are normal parasols not shaggy parasols, I dont have any pictures of shaggy parasols)

foraging.jpg

P1010064.jpg

the small mushrooms in the bag are fairy ring Champignons (Marasmius oreades)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thanks Stuart and Neil I've learnt sometihing new today already :You_Rock_

From Wikipedia
The genus Coprinus (commonly known as Ink caps) is a group of basidiomycete fungi, having the principal characteristic that the gills deliquesce (turn to ink) at maturity. The spore colour varies from blackish brown to black.

There are many species of Coprinus, but the only good edible one is C. comatus (the Shaggy Ink Cap) which must be eaten very young. C. atramentarius (the Common Ink Cap) and C. micaceus (the Glistening Ink Cap) may possibly also be eaten but provoke cardiovascular problems if alcohol is drunk with them or even if it is consumed up to several days later.

had a look round and if this is a correct quote it should clear things up even further

James

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
stoddy said:
Stuart

Is Torin a Harris Hawk?

he's beautiful

Torin is a 18 month old Male Harris Hawk, we go out for a least 2 - 3hrs a day everday so most of my bushcrafting is done with him.

he often supplies rabbit for dinner too.

there are pictures of him in the gallery

P1010153.jpg

P1010149.jpg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well you learn something new every day!
I thought it was all ink caps, thanks for that.
Strangely last week I found some parasol mushrooms growing under some conifers, never known this before, I thought I had got it wrong but I had been collecting some in a pasture a couple of miles away, so I had them there to compare and they were definately the same!
Neil

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
hmm I have never seen parasols any where but open grassy ground, mainly on the grassed areas of the dunes at myther mawr.

were they parasols or shaggy parasols?

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Shaggy Parasols, I have only ever found them on old pasture (usually if the ground has been disturbed in some way), but they were definatley the same.
Neil

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Extract from

Collins

Mushrooms of Great Britain and Europe
Shaggy Parasol
Macrolepiota rhacodes

Habitat: Conifers, especially spruce....
A good edible species but beware of var. bohemica.........(which) appears to be more or less indigestible, especially when gathered in very disturbed sites.

please be careful

Tant

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
About Champignons - I heard they can be easily confused with a poisonous species. What is that species and how do you tell the difference?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE