Giant Puff Ball

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Here's one I found this morning. It was in a group of three. (Only took the one) Incidently, I found more a couple of weeks ago but in my excitement I ate them before I thought of taking a picture!

puffball1rt1.jpg

ready for a dip in egg and breadcrumbs

puffball2io6.jpg

my breakfast...hmmm....yummy

puffball3dt0.jpg

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Why is it not morning yet?....why dont I have any bacon?...why dont i have a giant puff ball? :confused:

That looks delicious :You_Rock_

Can you tell that im just a little bit jealous :thinkerg:

Andy

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Superb specimen you have there Andy :) Great to see some more recipes and photos too. Now you made me hungry again :D

My brothers partner makes a mean giant puffball and Guinness pie apparently. I will try to get the recipe.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Our first ever puffball this year was sadly too far gone to be usable - so we took a section home to see if we could persuade some of the spores to come live with us, and our resident hedgehog raided the compost bin and ate it! :(

I'm now watching out for hedgehog poo in our garden as a matter of interest to see what might emerge....

I really must get a hobby. :sigh:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
We've found about three of a similar size this year. We're having trouble getting through the most recent one before it goes to spore! Delicious resource.

Incidently, wikipedia says these can be used for tinder after they have gone to spore. Will there be anything left by then? Has anybody tried this?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have never liked mushrooms and never even fancied giving one a try until i saw your picture of them lightly fried with bacon DAMN that looks nice !!

You may have just made me a convert... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE