Ghillie suits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I suppose I've made a ghillie cape,
Using British full size face veils to which I tied different colours of jute string (garden twine) in greens, browns etc. It is surprising how light the greens need to be to blend into grass. One thing that struck me after doing the first one was that the colours need to be blotchy, not thouroughly mixed, as it shows up as an out-of-place blob if its all mixed up. I started using it for shooting, but now use it for wildlife watching as well.

I got a fright though one time, when a bird landed on the back of my leg as I was laid down - I don't know who got the worst supprise, me or the bird who just landed on a live log!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Cheers for all the ideas and advice guys. I've spoken to Wildlife Watching Supplies (great site and really helpful) and have bought some leafcut scrim in Advantage Timber ( lightweight and non-rustle) with a thought to cutting it into strips and adding it to the Web Tex concealment vest that I've already bought.

All I've got to do now is go and cut off ll that itchy jute fabric that I've already tied on :rolleyes:

(If I get it finished in time I'll try and bring it to the BCUK meetup in July)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
7635767-preview.jpg

Courtesy of Jerven :D

leon-1

I attended course number 3 on the L96 held at Officers Division The School of Infantry, Warminster and was then employed in the role of sniper for 11 years.

Some of the others have already mentioned that you do not need a Ghillie suit for watching wildlife, the quickest and easiest method of doing things is to use a face veil (scrim net) just thrown over the head and shoulders.

A better understanding of cammouflage and why things are seen will be a lot more use than a ghillie suit, the use of shadow and depth is the the best bet. Stealth in movement and route selection will be another major factor.

Above all else try and keep anything that you use light in colour as all of the major cammouflage patterns appear black at distance when the pattern merges, a good ghillie suit is shredded with a wire brush so it is a series of fibres, try and keep the length of the fibres short, no more than six to 8 inches in length, only green and sand colours will do as the shadow they cast will be the only dark areas that you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE