Ghillie suits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I'm looking at making my own ghillie suit to use whilst watching wildlife, tracking and generally being sneaky beaky. Similar suits I've seen and used in the past tended to be very itchy due to the material being used shedding its fibres :eek: . Does anyone know either how to make this material less itchy or are there any other suitable materials that could be used instead? :confused: .

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Wolfie, Bambodoggy has a homemade gillie suit which is an old dpm smock with material strips attached. I can't see why this would be itchy at all.

The top tip was using a glue gun to attach the strips to the smock which is much quicker than stitching.

As far as I can see all you need is a smock and some old sand bags or well used dpm kit to cut up. A surplus shop should have some rough trousers and stuff to sell you for peanuts.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
The material used us usually Hessian (burlap) and is cut into strips, brushed with a wire brush to make it more "shaggy" and then sown or gluegun glued onto an old combat jacket. Not forgetting to also sow or glue on strips of elastic to use for attaching local vegitation to so that you blend in better.

You need quite a lot of hessian to make them. They are not at all itchy as the scraggy material is on the outside of the jacket.

Put most hessian on the shoulders, down the arms to just below elbow, upper and lower back and across the chest (don't worry about the tummy as you'll be lying on it mostly). You're also either going to need a hood (The German Flectarn combat jacket is good as the pattern is very good to start with and it comes with a hood - this is what mine is made from) or a jungle hat with an all round softish brim and hessian that up the same so it flows off your head onto your shoulders and breaks up that unmistakeable human outline.

hope that help Matey...

Bam.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
Wolfie, Bambodoggy has a homemade gillie suit which is an old dpm smock with material strips attached. I can't see why this would be itchy at all.

The top tip was using a glue gun to attach the strips to the smock which is much quicker than stitching.

As far as I can see all you need is a smock and some old sand bags or well used dpm kit to cut up. A surplus shop should have some rough trousers and stuff to sell you for peanuts.

Hey Bill...lol...you beat me too it :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
FreshMint said:
any address where i can buy a cheap ghillie suit ?

You can only really buy the naff "modern" ones which I personally don't like..

On this link click, "Camouflage systems", and then "body veils"....but they aren't cheap... I don't know of cheap ones as they as labour intensive...cheapest way is to make your own :D

US outfitters

but a Google search will find you others.....I bought one to try out but prefer the one I made while in the TA.

The genuin hand made ones do come up on ebay from time to time....

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
tenbears10 said:

Cheers tenbears10,

I'm going to base my suit on the Web-tex concealment vest http://www.web-tex.co.uk/accessories_webbing.asp?ProdID=14. I'm looking at making a lightweight suit rather than the walking bushes you often see. I think this vest will let me do this and give me the option of using local vegetation as well.

The material I was looking at using is Jute thread. This is the stuff that tends to shed and get itchy. I have though about using strips of old cammo material but I think that the more grassy effect of the thread type material is what I'm after.

I have been wondering about using a cotton or wool thread instead. Any thoughts anybody?

Wolfie said:
I'm looking at making my own ghillie suit to use whilst watching wildlife, tracking and generally being sneaky beaky. Similar suits I've seen and used in the past tended to be very itchy due to the material being used shedding its fibres :eek: . Does anyone know either how to make this material less itchy or are there any other suitable materials that could be used instead? :confused: .

To avoid itching is very simple and i have made a few ghillie suits whilst i was serving and you do not need to spend alot of money.
Buy yourself an exarmy (can be olive drab) boilersuit or a very cheap DPM tropical shirt.( buy a size that is abit bigger as you will find it easier to get into once you have attached the scrim) and a cheap pair of DPM trousers.

You then need to get your hands on lots of torn/rejected DPM and Olive drab trousers, shirts, what ever you can get.( i use to take a trip up to the QM's dept and raid their bins).
Ask around some army surplus shops or army cadets/TA centres( get it for free!).
Also buy some green and brown jute string and some black or OD elastic strips(this is used for attaching vegitation).
Hopefully by mixing and matching the rags and jute string you should be able to construct a suit that is fairly itch free.( i found in the past that using hessian made the suit itchy).
Failing this you might just find it cheaper to buy a camo net and drape it over yourself( don't forget to use camcream on your hands and face).

P.S. if you do alot of crawling in your ghilie suit you will need it sew on some extra material on your front/elbows/knees to act as padding.

Good luck :)

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
To break up the typical head and shoulders outline I've got a length of black elastic and tied it in a knot to make an elastic loop that fits over my hat and around my head just at brim level. cut loads of strips of asstd bits of camo/mud coloured/hessian cloth about 2 to 3 feet long. Fold them over the elastic and just staple them so they cant come off. You should end up eventually with something that looks like a bunch of dreadlocks! I arrange them with longest strips to the back and sides and shorter ones over my face.
if you stretch the band around your hat then the "dreads" can be arranged to fall in front of your face like a veil and can drape over your shoulders to break up the outline.
You can insert various bits of foliage, bracken etc into the band vertically as well - works well, dirt cheap and dead easy to make.

George

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Wolfie said:
I have been wondering about using a cotton or wool thread instead. Any thoughts anybody?

Cotton often changes colour when it's wet, you could find yourself very dark green in a light green enviroment.

Wool would be a bit warm maybe and will hold water so be heavy in the rain.

Both would work though.

Hessian really is about the best you can get...cut into foot long strips about 1.5" wide and then brush with a wire brush.

:D

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
The PRI Chameleon system is a pretty good modern version that I've used successfully for sneaky beaky purposes - looks a trifle odd on the high street but very good in the woodland.

Deinfitely more fun and more personal to make your own. It's also a lot cheaper and it's a real test of the imagination to make. Best advice has already been given so all I can add is that it really helps with comfort to sew knee to ankle padding into the legs, and elbow to wrist padding into the arms. Depending on personal feelings towards comfort, I'd also put some around the hips.

One last thing - never make a suit that you can't get out of in a hurry when nature calls...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Military style Ghilliesuits are of little benefit for observing wildlife, Ghilliesuits were intended for concealment from people not animals. an invention of scottish game keepers for the perpose of catching poachers and then later used in WW1 by snipers (many of whom were ex scottish game keepers).

1. They are really only of benefit when almost stationary (moving about in one near brambles etc will soon get you caught up).

2. The majority of mammals don't see in colour, so all the effort of getting the right greens, brown etc goes to waste.

3. They are heavy and you will scare small children :)

For observing animals the only thing you need to attend to is breaking up your head and shoulder profile and keeping down wind.

If you do decide to use a ghilliesuit be aware of the fire risk, a number of military snipers have been killed when their burlap ghilliesuits caught fire, in one case a swedish sniper ignited his suit whilst cooking and his partner (also wearing a ghillisuit) also caught fire whilst attempting to put him out.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
What Stuart said is true ....... would still be fun to make one though ........ then you could flog it on ebay for millions of £££££'s! :D

I saw this a while back and thought it made sense:- Bag Hide
The whole website has some good stuff/ideas on it ....... aimed at wildlife photographers/cameramen:- Wildlife Watching Supplies

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
If you are in Norway any time you might be interested in the Jerven Fjellduken Hunter. It's designed to be a hunting garment, rather than a military garment, and the camouflage is second to none. It's very baggy, more like an enormous poncho than anything else, which means you can easily answer that call of nature without having to even take it off, and it's not flammable so there's no fire risk. They are ideal, really, and I know a few people who have tried the lot and reckon nothing touches a Fjellduken Hunter. Their site is www.jerven.no, I can't do a direct link but it's on the "Fjellduken" page, and scroll down. Unfortunately they do not ship to the UK :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE