gettng a knew sofa

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
i'm about to get a knew sofa and a chair in a couple of weeks.my question is,is it worth "skinning" the old leather one and as a beginner what would be good to make any ideas/plans would be great plus what basic tools i would need

cheers andy

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
nice idea that it looks like its a great way to use the wood. never even thought about the wood frame :)

cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
speak to John Fenna , he loves a bit of old settee action,...haahaha
Damn right!
If the leather is of decent quality (more modern sofas can be VERY thin leather on a fabric backing) then you have the source of unlimmitted pouches, bags, jerkins, moccs etc etc
Most upholtry leather can be sewn on domestic sewing machines so no special tools are needed :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There's loads of good stuff in a sofa.

Leather, wood, rubber straps, stuffing even springs occasionally.

(Think bags, pouches, shock cords, handles, carving materials, insulation, padding and a myriad of small tools like awls and the like. The list is endless.)

Just break it all down, keep the best bits and then chuck the rest into the dustbin. Once you get your eye in you'll never throw such useful stuff out again.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
thats what i'm hoping, to recycle as much of it as possable, i'm going to do the folding buck saw idea or 2
but never done any leather work before but i am bidding on a old hand operated singer sewing machine to use

what kind of thread would you recommend,i was thinking about pouches just wondered if there were any sites with ideas and designes for other things and tips

as for the leather it seems good quality we are the second owner
(for last 4 years) and its only the arms that are showing real ware'n' tear(so take it means its good stuff:confused:) but been offered a nearly new chesterfield for free. dont think anyone will want my old one but i hate throwing anything out

cheers andy

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
All you really need for leather work is an awl, some needles and some waxed linen thread.

some really nice work there wayland bit out of my league but has give me an idea for a pouch for my ikea hobo stove and also going to make an air rifle pellet pouch and may be even a laptop sleeve (modern bushcraft :rolleyes:) after seeing how to make one on google

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE