getting started

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

waynerck

Mar 25, 2007
lisburn northern ireland
right i was having a hoke through my fathers shead as i forgot i left all my fishing stuff there when i moved house a year ago, between the goodies that i found in my shead and ebay i have gathered together a few things to get me started.
please let me know what you think and what i need or dont need if that might be the case doh!!

I have:

my tent (which can fold back into a half tent thingy)
frosts mora knife
swiss champ
gerber gator axe 2 & saw combo
gerber ceramic knife sharpener
l.e.d torch/lamp
repro trangia cookset (which is actually quite good)
3L water bladder (is that enough how long would that last) :eek:
collins gem tree id book
essential bushcraft by good old ray m
75l rucksack

was also thinking of getting a first aid kit, purifiication pump,sleeping bag, roll mat,ziplock bags and survival kit/tin? :twak:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I prefer two smaller water bottles so if one gets damaged I still have the other, plus I put one in each rucksack pocket so I can drink from both and it doesn't go lopsided.

I think a First aid kit is essential.

A sleeping bag is really useful for sleeping out, but expensive, in the summer I get by with a just fleece liner and use that in winter outside my bag to stay even warmer.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
6 - Keep you eye out for an cheap stainless steel pot or vessel to use as a billy, but not too big as that takes longer to boil.

Morrisons supermarket, £3.99

3 - Crusader Cups (£12) and Military Trangias (£12) are both extremely good but you dont need then at first, unless you like toys, in which case the trangia is good play value.

A swedish military trangia, inlcudes billycan, and a mess tin set for £12.95.
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2630.html

Nick :)

waynerck

Mar 25, 2007
lisburn northern ireland
anyone else want to comment :)
waynerck said:
right i was having a hoke through my fathers shead as i forgot i left all my fishing stuff there when i moved house a year ago, between the goodies that i found in my shead and ebay i have gathered together a few things to get me started.
please let me know what you think and what i need or dont need if that might be the case doh!!

I have:

my tent (which can fold back into a half tent thingy)
frosts mora knife
swiss champ
gerber gator axe 2 & saw combo
gerber ceramic knife sharpener
l.e.d torch/lamp
repro trangia cookset (which is actually quite good)
3L water bladder (is that enough how long would that last) :eek:
collins gem tree id book
essential bushcraft by good old ray m
75l rucksack

was also thinking of getting a first aid kit, purifiication pump,sleeping bag, roll mat,ziplock bags and survival kit/tin? :twak:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
With respect to 'getting out and doing it', you have some very knowledgable BCUK members in your neck of the woods. It might be an idea to keep an eye on the 'meet up's' section on this forum to see if there are any in your area.

Don't worry about being the 'newbie', everybody has to start somewhere and this lot are very understanding and like nothing more than 'Imparting Knowledge and advice'.

I've heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question, remember, if you don't know, just ask. At least one of the members will!

Oh, before i forget, welcome to the world of Bushcraft; enjoy! :D

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Geuf said:
I don't think you actually 'need' anything really

I'd agree with that. The most important thing you'll need is time. Give your self plenty time to just walk and sit and look and listen while you are out. Everything else is an added extra.

Time. Oh, where does it all go...

I'm a beginner too, so this is an interesting thread. I've small children, share running a business and have committments at our church, and so there is never enough time. But enough excuses - I'm hoping for some good weather this weekend and the chance to go and spend some time investigating local woods :)

Thanks again to everyone on this site for being so welcoming to us noobs.

Ben

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
before you blow cash on survival kits
it's much better to make your own based on where you go the most
a survival bag
a whistle
phone and bag to keep it dry
sak (swiss army knife)
fire steel or lighter or both
that covers the uk
also your gear is your survival kit and it costs a lot
you maybe lose bits n bobs
but loseing your rucksack only happens in airports i hope
i may have up set some tin lovers
(i was one too)
but you will find it's something that you buy and never use
i've tested them and boken most stuff in them or found them useless

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE