getting started

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

waynerck

Mar 25, 2007
lisburn northern ireland
as you will prob see in the welcome page im new to this :) and i was wondering if any of you could give me an idea of the kit i need to buy first to get me started with bushcraft because i know i will prob buy lots of stuff only to realize a year later when im a bit smarter that i wasted my money on lots of thing i didnt really need im a bit of a magpie you see (oooo shiny things) . please :You_Rock_

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well, you need a knife, something like a frosts mora is perfect and costs a tenner
leon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Wayne,

I'm not in a position to dish out advice as I'm pretty fresh into the world of bushcraft but I'm sure everyone will agree that the first thing to collect is a bit of knowledge.

Invest in some decent books and that will stand you in good stead for the future. Then you will be able to make better choices with regard to shiny things but I think it's fair to say that most people - me included - fall victim to rash decisions and impulse buys at some point, it's just a part of the learning process.

There is plenty of advice on the forum regarding which books to get hold of and there are also some good articles on the website under the articles tab at the top.

Good luck and welcome.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Welcome wayne! great to hear you're also interested in bushcrafty things.
I don't think you actually 'need' anything really. Not regarding to stuff. besides.. it all depends on what you would like to do? Browse around the forum I'd say and look at what interests you. And if you want to see anything you would like to do, then begin thinking about what you actually need to do it. I know the feeling about wanting shiny things, but not actually needing it. I made my first bow drill from stuff around the house. It didn't cost anything! :cool:

cheers!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i'd get the frosts mora - i'm sure everyone will say the same, they're excellent.

a good book on the subject is probably best, but nothing is better than just heading out somewhere for the night and see what happens.

in terms of kit list as such, check out the woodlore website for their kits lists section. most books will give you an idea too.

time out or 'dirt time' as its sometimes called is the very best way to learn tho!! even if its just going for a sunday stroll and sitting somewhere very still for an hour or so to see what you can see in the woods. great stuff!

BOD

When I saw this thread I thought that you'd be swamped with lists of kit to get.

Instead you have got good advice from these guys. Go slowly and get out into the woods.

Practice the knots and other skills with simple stuff and you'll find you need less kit. Improvise. And you'll have more money for trips or courses.

The kit can come later. A SAK or Mora is all you need to start

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Part of bushcraft that really gets me going is the awareness of, and connectedness with, nature. Get yourself a sit spot, somewhere you can sit quietly for an hour or so. Find somewhere that's a transition between different habitats, a forest clearing perhaps, or a hedgeline, your garden maybe... Sit there for a while, allow yourself to focus outwards, notice everything, see how the birds, mammals, insects behave and interact. start to notice the calls of the birds, figure out the alarm calls and what they mean. and of course on the way in and out try to walk as quietly and peacefully as you can.

On the other hand, get some wood, practice making feather sticks, and in an appropriate place, make a fire and a cuppa! :D

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I love the awereness thing. When walking in the woods with other people I'm suprised how little they see, smell, hear. Most of the time I'm constantly showing them things. Look here.. can you smell this.. Do you hear that bird.. etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Some good, advice, and you could start with what you have in the house. Maybe take a pan to cook some stuff up in, nick the cutlery drainer to make a fire in, a couple of blankets if you want to stay out the night, take a small paring knife for food prep. Once you've been out a few times and you know it's in your blood, start replacing some of your kit, get a mora definitely to replace the small paring knife, maybe some cheap mess tins from a surplus store to cook in. A cheap tarp also from a surplus store and a cheap bag to carry your kit in.

Before you buy, ask on here as to what you want to get, prices you've seen it for and any other info you can include. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and it would be daft not to take advantage of it. With regards ex military kit, there are a lot of serving, ex and soon to be ex servicemen ( ;) ) on these boards so you will get good advice.

Hope you enjoy your time in nature!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One thing to remember is that we have all been in exactly the same place as you are now, listen to what the previous guys have said and don't be afraid to ask even the simplest of questions no matter how dumb you think the question is, someone on here will answer it for you.

I wish I had found this site when I started, I would have a hell of alot more money now, knowing that I didn't have to buy half the stuff that I have although I think there are some guys on here who have a hell of alot more, not mentioning any names-'TOO MUCH KIT TO CARRY' Oooops I said it:lmao:

Just enjoy the journey!!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
They are all taking sense, which is more that I normally do :)

I have a "possibles" list for my explorer scout as follows:

Get first :

1 - Frost Mara knife (£10), I love mine :)

2 - A print of http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=11571, it tells you how to sharpen a kife cheaply (£5!)

3 - Collect bits of string, boot laces etc for experimenting with.

4 - A couple of cheap lighters (70p) are more waterproof that matches, but keep keep one unused for when the first wears out

5 - Collect plastic bottles and small containers (like baccy tins) for keeping things like washing up liquid and toilet paper in.

6 - Water bottle, you can reuse plastic coke bottles a few times altough I hear that this is not recommended now. Avoid cheap sports bottles, they tend to leak and trap dirt.

6 - Keep you eye out for an cheap stainless steel pot or vessel to use as a billy, but not too big as that takes longer to boil.

7 - First aid kit, £1 from Wilkinson or make one up in a small tin. Include a dozen medium sized plasters, a medium bandage, triangular bandage, small tweezers, a few non-alcohol wipes, a few hydrocolloid plasters if you plan to walk far, a couple of small bags for medical rubbish. I also carry a couple of eyewash pods for when I get grit or ash in them. Learn to use the kit properly on yourself.

8 - Stainless steel spoon (50p from charity shop?)

Later on when you have money:

1 - Ray Mears's Buschcraft Rucksack Edition (£10). Its well written and assumes no prior knowledge or experiance

2 - 58 pattern water bottles are really good but only buy one with "Keep Away From Heat of Flame", the NATO crows foot symbol and a long number embossed up on the surface, anything else is a clone and not as good.

3 - Crusader Cups (£12) and Military Trangias (£12) are both extremely good but you dont need then at first, unless you like toys, in which case the trangia is good play value.

4 - A day sack (£10) to put your stuff in, check the stitching if you can, there will be good and bad ones in each batch. Any sign of a seam fraying or the end of a strap visible where it should not be then avoid it.

5 - Head torch (£12) check cheap ones they tend not to be as bright, these really are a case of pay more get better.

6 - Sleeping bag (£30-70) is a subject in its own right.

7 - Tent and roll mat or tarp and hammock

8 - Bahco Laplander folding saw (£18 from www.amazon.co.uk) not essential until you regularly make fires

9 - Boots....

10 - Coat...

11 - Trousers...

12 - etc....

Finally a subscription to "Bushcraft Magazine", see the front page of this website for deatils.

As a general rule I keep my kit seperate to the domestic stuff, it avoids arguments and I kinow where it is when I need it. Most kit should last for years, but always go out with the thought that something will get lost of broken and try not to get too bothered by it.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I will reiterate what people have already said by stating that 'anything costing more than 20 quid needs to be handled first'. Dont make the mistake I made with knives- Lots of money later I use an SAK everyday and a Frosts Mora for all else. I havent been on an extended trip since I got my Fallkniven f1 so havent really needed it as an essential knife.

The first 4 Bushcraft things I used were these

Frosts Mora
SAK- I like the Alox ones
Firesteel
Tree identification book

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Don't forget when you go and practise your new skills always check with whoever the land belongs to that your allowed to start fires, hunt, sleep etc.

You can also pop along to one of the many meets happen have a look and see if you can find one near you.

Good luck

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
MitchelHicks said:
Don't forget when you go and practise your new skills always check with whoever the land belongs to that your allowed to start fires, hunt, sleep etc.
I need new glasses I could have sworn that said hunt sheep

waynerck

Mar 25, 2007
lisburn northern ireland
thankyou very much for all your advice, frost mora is woking its way to me in the post as we speak, have to go look for a tree identification book (really need one of those) what's the best ray mears book to buy that has everything in it

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
waynerck said:
thankyou very much for all your advice, frost mora is woking its way to me in the post as we speak, have to go look for a tree identification book (really need one of those) what's the best ray mears book to buy that has everything in it
Opinions vary, as does the advice in the books.

0091878861.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Outdoor Survival Handbook came first and is undoubtedly a first rate, comprehensive guide.
For many this is the "must have" book, but it includes a bit more of his own opions about the spiritual side of bushcraft than his other books and some of my Explorer Scouts found that off putting.
0340792582.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bushcraft came later and some of the advice on clothes and equipment especially has been revised bringing it more in line with his current thinking. This is my personal favourite, but it appears to be out of print and is going for £60 second hand on Amazon. :eek: I have a copy of this at home and one at the Scout HQ.

0340829710.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the one I use most, (Essential Bushcraft) it actually lives in my rucksack and has held up extremely well over the years. This is still in print and costs £8.50 new, £5.12 second hand from Amazon :)
0340827904.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0340830166.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0340834811.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Wild Food, Heros of Telemark, and Bushcraft Survival are also very good but are more in direct support of TV programmes. I have them for reading on the cold winter nights (beyind the scope of my kit) but don't actually use them in the woods.

There are several other, "Woodland Creatures" etc, which all seem fine but the only bit written by RM is the foreword. Unless you are a hoarder I would suggest getting them from the public librray before deciding wether to actually buy them

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course, his very first book, The Survival Handbook, is the holy grail of Ray books. Much more info, better than all the rest, and mega hard to find for cheap. Keep an eye out in charity shops and second hand book shops, one may turn up.

For a tree ID book, you could do a lot worse than the Pocket Gems range by Collins. They have all sorts of different subjects with a view to helping you ID whatever it is with the minimum hassle. They do trees, flowers, herbal flowers and plants, birds, mammals of britain and funghi and toadstools to name a few. The RRP is seven or eight quid, but they turn up regularly in book stores for 2 or 3 quid.

Shop around!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE