Getting a new knife and kid i a sweet shop

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
It's come to that stage where I feel it's time to move on ,after starting of with a mora which is a credit to the people who make them for the price I feel I want to take a step up, so after looking through verious site's I'm still no nearer, what with this name and that name and some price's you could by a new car for. Any chance of a couple of pointers for a reasonably good quality all rounder knfe .Thank's chap's and really enjoying the site.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mark Hill (aka HillBill) is a good maker. He made a damascus steel knife for me and it gives damn good service.
Highly recommended.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Depends what you want my friend, and what price you are willing to pay.

We have some of the best makers on here, plus there are loads on BB.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I stuck with a Mora for 18 months, so I could learn how to sharpen a knife properly but broke it at the Moot last week, so have recently had an upgrade myself. Mr Budd was there the day after payday, so I treated myself to one of his forge made blades with a fire blackened ash handle. It's a great knife, something a bit different & is lovely to use. I have just come back off the downs after a whole day using it to carve things & I love it, so can recommend them.

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Does depend on how much you want to spend. I have a Woodlander knife made by Ben Orford (http://www.benorford.com) came to hear about him via the guys at Woodsmoke. A lovely knife, was £195 and had to wait a while so if that's your budget and are prepared to wait a few months I would recommend it.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I would reccomend FYGT, I bought myself a lovely blade from him did the handles and getting a sheath soon all for the cost of £60- handled one of his puukko blades aswell stunning bits of kit.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Personally I would set a price that you are not willing to go above. Once you have done this have another look around. You can get some very, very nice and useable knives that are factory made. Most expensive isn't always best, just look at the Frosts Mora knife for an example, although a general rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. I can recommend Black Fox knives from http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Blackfox-Knives/c-1-92-589/ as I have just purchased one myself and am very happy, I also use a Fallkniven F1 which are a bit more expensive but simply bomb proof.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was just wondering about something after seeing this thread. Where do you find out about makers wares? Makers market I suppose but do any of hte makers on here have sites or some thread showing what they make? I mean on the makers market there are a few knives shown others seem to post on the edged tools section. Also the current knives for sale might only be the latest thing they made. Perhaps looking through you might find what you are looking for but perhaps someone making one type of knife might have made another type that you are looking for. Also what are you looking for? Sometimes you only know that when you see it. That "it" might be an old project for some maker.

Rambling I know but someone said a maker made a knife which that person put together to make up a good kit for £60. How much was the knife and a sheath? I've been looking at a lot of handmade knives there seems to be a price point at about £130. Someone mentioned about knowing your top price. If mine was say £60 for a knife and sheath is that a possibility? Should I just pm a few makers with my price and some info to see if they are willing to do something for me? Is £60 too cheap for a simple knife for general duties. Kind of a more plus. I doubt I would ever be into a drawer queen as I prefer my stuff to be purely functional. Take my car for example I own a diesel estate, I'm never going to want to own a lambo even if I could afford it. Afterall you can't drive over 1000 miles on a tank and a half with four people with their backpacking AND car camping gear in a lambo. Although in future I will not carry that in my car afterall it is not fun driving down some minor country road bottoming out on every little bump in the road.

Sorry if I'm rambling or going off topic but I just wondered if like the OP I was ready to step up from my Mora how to go about it and who to go to. Afterall I do believe in supporting people on this site with my business afterall people on this site have given good advise in the past.

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
paul B you've hit the nail on the head ,It's just a nudge in the right direction with what to look for , you don't get the shops around where you can pick up a knife and feel the wieght and the contor of the handle anymore and being a loner most the time i don't get to many meetings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE