Get your beards out for the girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
314.jpgDammit - I have been on Orkney for 3 weeks - photo taken half way across Hoy (no - I am not the Old Man of Hoy) and just got back.
You can stroke my beard any time :)
Drawback of a beard - icing up in the winter .. I have had my beard freeze to my balaclava before now!

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I am also one for letting nature take it's course and shape the face, beard stroking is welcome especially after a trim and a wash when it is all soft but not after 5 days camping when it has formed a wind defense wall like a thicket hedge.

Drawbacks of the beard, until recently half of society shunned you for wearing a good chin pelt

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Drawbacks include drooling in your sleep and waking with soggy beard. Immediate wash required!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Hahaha you all make it sound charming! I guess its one of those trials that's worth living with, we lasses have a few of our own ;) Graham, I am devastated to say I won't be at the next couple of Northwoods.... the last bite I got there in Apr has only just started to heal after infection set in, even garlic oil struggled to control it. I just can't do the mozzie meets so I'll see you when the first frosts have hit and your beards good and bushy :)

Ahhh I sooo wish Hubs would grow his beard in! Or my mates marvellous multi-coloured one hadn't been prematurely shaved. I quite understand why you lads often sit there stroking them, I would do the same if I was a lad )

Yup, your beard definitely suits a dude :) Thats what I'm saying about different trim patterns. They enhance sooo well, so individual... but a whole beard is charming and so appealing to look at and I presume, touch too :) A lot of the young uns who are wearing them because its a fashion haven't developed their own style yet. I bet shaving the goatee area prevents the worst of the balaclava icing?

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Me a bit spaced out on a recent camp:

10441956_10203416867056122_6638177560353815355_n.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Half way through my last attempt, I never remember to get a pic of a beard in full flow...

I enjoy straight razor shaving far too much to grow beards more than a couple months at a time.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah TurboGirl disadvantages of growing a beard. Well whilst at secondary school they tried to make me shave mine off as it wasn't considered part of the uniform. I got out of it by pointing out that they weren't making Mohamed (a chap in my year) shave his off (due to religious grounds) so they couldn't really enforce it on me. One of the reasons I actually grew it (apart from the fact I liked having one) was that my chin stiffened up in the really cold weather (like my broken fingers did) and the beard gave me some insulation. Remember hearing of a polar explorer who's frozen beard broke his big toe when it snapped off and fell on it. Seemingly caused him some grief in getting around up there. Have also set fire to mine when I smoked roll up cigarettes - well badly singed, and it's proximity to my nose made it smell awful. Like others have had it freeze up badly when winter climbing. Looked gnarly in the photographs though!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In the interests of equality I thought I'd put up a picture of Josephine Clofullia, The Bearded Lady of Geneva.

Josephine Clofullia (1827–1875) was a Swiss-born bearded lady who toured with P. T. Barnum's "American Museum".
Madame Clofullia was born Josephine Boisdechêne in Switzerland. She was born hairy and reputedly had a two-inch beard at the age of eight. At the age of fourteen she began to tour Europe, first accompanied by her father and an agent and then with her father alone. In Paris she met painter Fortune Clofullia and eventually married him. She also gained extra fame when she fashioned her beard in the imitation of that of Napoleon III. In return, the ruler gave her a large diamond.
Josephine gave birth to two children; the first, a daughter who was born in 1851, died in infancy. Her son Albert, who was born the next year, was as hirsute as his mother had been.
All four — Clofullia, her husband, son and father — moved to the United States where they joined forces with P. T. Barnum. Barnum had her beard officially measured as 6 inches, gave Albert a new name — "Infant Esau", after the biblical character — and took them to his American Museum.
In July 1853 William Charr took Clofullia to court, claiming that she was actually a man and an impostor. During the case doctors examined her and verified that she was a female and the case was eventually dismissed. Some have suspected that Barnum arranged the whole matter himself as a publicity stunt.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I am all for equality and freedom of expression and hair and all that but i could not go there, every girlfriend i have ever had already left enough hair in my bath and around my home without her having a beard too

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm amazed I don't shed like my sons girlfreinds do but then, I don't nuke my locks with every manner of heat and chemical known to science :) Not managed to grow a beard yet but I did fulfil a dream today, c/o the wonderfully easy going and unscareable Teepee of this parish at White Rose where we had a short visit... I forewent the usual manly hug and was permitted to twine my fingers through his lovely beardy growth and scratch his chin and cheeks :) Ohhhh absolutely in heaven!! He looked amused, anyone else would have been in abject terror I'm sure ;) I was so enraptured I forgot to take a pic of him for the thread. Don't they feel wonderful?!!

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
I have my own chin pelt at the moment, but I remember as a young lad going into a pub in Camborne in Cornwall, to be greeted by the barman who looked like he was chewing a badger. It was a bit disconcerting because his greeting was "hello moi luvver".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE