German army sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
I've just taken possession of a mint condition german army sleeping bag..... an absolute snip at £10 on ebay. For those that aren't familiar with them they are sleeping bags with arms!! I've never used one before and was wondering what experiences are out there.

The bag itself seems to be 2-3 season rating at most so is probably ideal for summer/autumn use. I like the idea that the arms allow the user to perform tasks whilst wearing it e.g. making a brew/cooking. There is a horizontal zip at knee level which allows the sleeping bag to be turned into a parker (one less thing to carry!).

I intend to try it out (once the weather picks up) but would appreciate any advice. The potential disadvantages are that the arms may allow body heat to escape.

If they are no good then its only a tenner but I do hope it has some redeeming features!!
:pack:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I had one ages again and I think they are pretty good bags, the bottom half can be folded up so the top can be worn as a parka liner too!!

There does seem to be a lot of new ones on the market at present so i guess the german's are dumping a load of war stock ...... I will have to look into this further me thinks!!

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
There are two on ebay ??

Do they have a waterproof outer ?? :roll:

It looks like it. :shock:

Gary if the price is right I might be interested?? :yikes:

But remember I am a Yorkshireman so don't like to part with my money :Crazy_071

MickT

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi, i used to have one,
not as warm as i thought.

you either love them or hate them, i hate them.

you have to sleep with your arms in the sleeves which isn't as comfy or warm as a standard bag, plus you can get cold hands!

if you get hot you will sweat as 90% of the bag is rubberised.

if it does get soaked it dries very slowly!

they are quite heavy for the limited warmth.

my advice get some warm waterproof mittens not gloves. to wear wilst sleeping.

apart from these problems it's a very good idea which would be far better with modern materials such as pertex, microfibers and goretex!

on the other hand i have friends that have used them and love them!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bothyman said:
There are two on ebay ??

Do they have a waterproof outer ?? :roll:

It looks like it. :shock:

Gary if the price is right I might be interested?? :yikes:

But remember I am a Yorkshireman so don't like to part with my money :Crazy_071

MickT

You'll be calling me Bruce Forsyth next! :wink:

I didnt mean that Mick - I meant for myself, still you never know!

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Gary said:
You'll be calling me Bruce Forsyth next! :wink:

I didnt mean that Mick - I meant for myself, still you never know!

Hello Bruce

Didn't realise what I had put till you just pointed it out. :roll:

If you find a place selling them at reasonable prices, I would be grateful if you would pass the info on. :biggthump

Simple fact is you have more contacts than I, so have a better chance of finding one:wink:

PS .those two Lapp Puukko's I got from you are still doing well, but one got hijacked and ended up as a veggie knife. Remember them??
1st thing I ever bought from a member of this group, and yes the price was right :super:

MickT :wave:

I've had one for years, Only used it a couple of times though. The damn thing weighs a Ton because of all the PU coated Nylon and it fills a 60 litre Rucksack completely. Also Its not particularly warm, but You can fold the Arms underneath yourself if you dont want cold hands.

It is a great Idea and I'm surprised no one has made a version from better materials. 400 gramme Goose Down filled, with a Drilite outer and pertex inner. Optional overbag in Goretex. Anyone want to lend me a few hundred grand so I can build a prototype? :eek:):

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Fjallraven used to make a great version of this bag. Down filled, decent hood and wide enough at the chest that you could bring the sleeves inside and cross them over your chest for extra insulation. A friend of mine had one and I borrowed it a couple of times - great inside a snowhole. Doesn't look like they make it anymore though.

George

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
There is a version of this made by Carinthia called the wilderness, it appears to give the option of using the sleeves or having your arms inside the bag. It says that the comfort rating is -27 (we will probably have to wait till the EU tell us what the rating is later under there new system) but it is £189 in USMC, ouch!
A mate of mine had the German one, great if we had a vehicle to carry our kit but not if you were carrying it. Tomtom, I have a feeling the base on the German one is waterproofed but not certain.

Brian

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
There are 3 versions of this bag.

The old versions issued in the late 1950s were had the waterproof outer cover perminently attached to the bag.

The late 1960's to 1990's version had a removable outer cover which was totally waterproof (top and bottom). As said earlier, sweat can be a problem.

Another version has a wide permeable stripe running along the length of the zip. I guess this was an attemp to solve the sweat problem.

You can often find them in unissued condition. Check the condition of the rubber as some have become brittle in storage making the useless.

The German army later replaced these bags with a mummy type bag in the early 90's

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have been working on a similiar set up where I have a down lower section that attaches to my down parka, attaches with 2inch velcro , when used as sleeping bag, pull sleeves inside coat . also have mittens that attach to sleeves, all from clothes bought at thrift stores. so far only out about 20$ its sitting in a box, waiting for me to get around to sewing it. too many projects, not enough time.!!!!

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
The version of the bag that I've got seems to be the later one with the wide permeable stripe that runs from the neck to the horizontal zip. The bag seems to be waterproof including the base. I can roll it up quite small and it takes up less than the lower third of my 45 litre rucksack. I agree that it would be great if the same design was made from more modern, lightweight materials

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
it all depends on how warm you sleep different people sleep at different temps
i have used one of these ages ago with out a mat and slept very well
but i sleep at quite a warm temp and for most of the time can get away without a mat or too thick a bag even in the uk winter
dont forget army sleeping bags are ment to be slept in fully clothed

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
20 years ago when I still was living in germany I had such a thing.
I didnt know another bag and so I didnt get ****** off about the bag, Today I would say they are cold, swetty, start to stink and you are much better of not having one at all. Most of the stuff is kind of sealed I dont remember if its rubber or something else. But you get wet in it and freeze. Today i live in the arctic north couple of weeks ago I was sleeping on a reindeer fur, having a nice fire and didnt use any kind of sleeping bag in around minus 5. In the german bag I believe I would have started to sweat, and start to freeze my nuts off.

my 2 cents
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE