Georges mushrooms

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Just picked a nice batch of St Georges mushrooms today there really tasty anyone else found nice edibles.just looking for the lead to my camera and I'll post pics

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Pignut the other day. Nibbled on some hawthorne and ransoms buds.
I'l have to make a proper wild salad in the next few days, with some bannock and choritzo.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
St Georges already! never found them this early... mmmmm... :)

been on a nettle beer mission since I discovered how easy it is to make lovely booze that's practically free ;) but off home tomorrow to hunt for morels and apparently St Georges too!

Have been testing some of Roger Phillips recipes from the "Wild Food" book too, mostly dead simple, but good ideas, like the fact that hawthorn is good with beetroot :) so many edibles just everywhere that I didn't even notice til I got that book :D

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Pignut the other day. Nibbled on some hawthorne and ransoms buds.
I'l have to make a proper wild salad in the next few days, with some bannock and choritzo.

Sssssh don't mention ransoms as scrumpy is driving himself mad trying to find some.:D

Dec showed me the difference between the midland hawthorn and the regular I must say the midland one with its much smaller leaves and buds are much tastier

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
St Georges already! never found them this early... mmmmm... :)

been on a nettle beer mission since I discovered how easy it is to make lovely booze that's practically free ;) but off home tomorrow to hunt for morels and apparently St Georges too!

Have been testing some of Roger Phillips recipes from the "Wild Food" book too, mostly dead simple, but good ideas, like the fact that hawthorn is good with beetroot :) so many edibles just everywhere that I didn't even notice til I got that book :D

I,ve found them around this time before saying that this is Coventry it has its very own weather system whats the recipe for the nettle beer.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sssssh don't mention ransoms as scrumpy is driving himself mad trying to find some.:D

Dec showed me the difference between the midland hawthorn and the regular I must say the midland one with its much smaller leaves and buds are much tastier

I love the midland hawthorn, a nice tree and not many wild ones around here, so a suprise when found. Shame old scrumpy cant find the ransoms, tripping over the things here :D

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
here are some pics of the said shrooms I ate them all yesterday and they were delicious

Attachments

• new 008.jpg
    new 008.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 81
  • new 006.jpg
    new 006.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 82
  • new 007.jpg
    new 007.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 81

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That last one looks big! I got me first haul today :) smaller, but beautifully formed.

Now I just have to find something to do with them. Would like them to be "star of the show", rather than a side dish, first batch of the year and all that. There's a load of jew's ears too, might be brave and try Roger Phillips recipe for jew's ear rolls... he makes them sound almost paletable...;)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
That last one looks big! I got me first haul today :) smaller, but beautifully formed.

Now I just have to find something to do with them. Would like them to be "star of the show", rather than a side dish, first batch of the year and all that. There's a load of jew's ears too, might be brave and try Roger Phillips recipe for jew's ear rolls... he makes them sound almost paletable...;)

The last one was 10cm across I went and picked some more today im not to keen on the jelly ears pretty tasteless

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I know, usually don't bother, but am game for a challenge... And like I said recipe actually sounds quite nice.

Will report back :)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
well looks like that's what Im stuck with for the mo, my st georges were maggotty :( despite being seemingly small young firm little beauties...

xylaria

I looked at the my local patch toaday,they are too small to pick safely at the moment. They look like they might dry out too much before they get bigger though. They grow right next to ramsons which is handy because they taste brilliant tossed in butter together.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
GRRRRRR been looking all over for them, no signs yet! I'll keep looking... when I do find them I'll eat the bloody lot!! that'l teach them for hiding.

Or you could hide from them that would teach them but don't eat them all Thats what they want the devious little devious green Bar stewards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE