genuine hudsons bay point blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
this is what i got from endys, its not massively thick but its quite warm so far and is 100% wool

Blanket.jpg

and i lashed up some straps from it from an old set of leather bag straps
Blanket1.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Another vote for the Dutch blankets, but Endicotts told me they were "waiting" for another load.
They are very warm though, and I recall looking at the Hudson bay blankets in the store in Montreal, and they seemed of a similar thickness, but larger, (and much more expensive) I had an idea that buying in canada would be cheaper...

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Speak to Eric Methven. He set up a mountain man forum and they use these blankets.

cheers,
M

There's nowhere in the UK that sells them as far as I know. Not the originals anyway. There's plenty of lookalikes and for most purposes they do OK. But if you want it with the genuine label, you're going to have to pay big bucks and have it shipped across the pond.

I just missed out on a bargain with these. One of the guys on a US forum went to a garage sale at a motel that was modernising and he discovered they used Hudson Bay 4 point blankets on the beds. He made them an offer for the whole lot and got them for something like $10 each. When I found out they had all gone.

Eric

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ask the little old ladies in your local charity shops to look out for Whitney blankets, they'll understand what you are on about.

I paid £4 for a nearly new off orange colour one yesterday in a charity shop in Accrington. It was still in the original logo'ed plastic bag. There was a even nicer, bigger, thicker one but it was the brightest pink you've ever seen.

It was the manufacturers of Whitney who supplied the North American market and I can vouch on the quality.

I'm going to thin out my stash soon, swap some maybe. The dust from them when stored/ not aired/used regularly brings on my allergy. D'oh!

ATB

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ask the little old ladies in your local charity shops to look out for Whitney blankets, they'll understand what you are on about.

I paid £4 for a nearly new off orange colour one yesterday in a charity shop in Accrington. It was still in the original logo'ed plastic bag. There was a even nicer, bigger, thicker one but it was the brightest pink you've ever seen.

It was the manufacturers of Whitney who supplied the North American market and I can vouch on the quality.

I'm going to thin out my stash soon, swap some maybe. The dust from them when stored/ not aired/used regularly brings on my allergy. D'oh!

ATB

Tom

Your right about asking Tom, I did and got two Whitney blankets "because of the colour is a pound each OK" said the lady in the shop; the blankets are orange but are going to be cut up for a little project anyway.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Your right about asking Tom, I did and got two Whitney blankets "because of the colour is a pound each OK" said the lady in the shop; the blankets are orange but are going to be cut up for a little project anyway.

They'd take a dye readily enough I'd expect, brown would go over the orange well, then wash with a squirt of baby oil in the washer. goodjob

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire

Indeed, as the saying goes, if you don't ask.

I've a idea for another source which I'll share after I've tried it...

In theory all the bright pink ones could be dyed bright red, which would be acceptable to most and a traditional HBC colour. Just I had no joy with the Dylon stuff and ended up spending 6 times what I did on the blanket to dye it a mottled green (from a sickly yellow) I've turned my nose up at any number of prosthetic pink Whitneys in the last few years.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE