genuine hudsons bay point blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
looking for a uk source of hudson bay point blanket.

I know that for the last 30 years Atkinsons have had the licence to produce these blankets and then export them to Canada.

Im looking to get a 4 point blanket in either grey or green/black in the uk to save on the import costs, anyone know of somewhere in the uk that sells them....only interested in the genuine blankets, not some of the "these blankets are just as good"

Col....

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
£400 fer a BLANKET!!! :eek:

i was browsing the tamarack site a while back and seen teh duluth bed roll and it mentions its ideal for these Hudson bay blankets and i looked them up and was like ***!

anyhoo my mum does voluntary work in the charity shop and i said is there many wool blankets come in she said aye one or two a week but we generally sell them for 50p they make good dog beds, im like right, well SHOULD any come in with hudson bay on them nab em for me ! :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
this isnt aimed at the OP but if your looking for a decent blanket, i just got a dutch picnic blanket from endys, its big and quite a dense weave, 100% wool. i got a supergrade one for £11. The picnic blanket bit sounds cruddy, but its great, old skool type wool blanket, with nice vintage labels and what not. will post up a pic if anyone wants to see, its whats currently making my bedroll up

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The Dutch blankets are just about the thickest you can get from what I have heard. I have quite a few different types but I am thinking of getting a Dutch blanket myself.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The Dutch blankets are just about the thickest you can get from what I have heard. I have quite a few different types but I am thinking of getting a Dutch blanket myself.

phill, speak to kev at endys, ask him to describe the blanket he sold to Ed, i got it cos i want a blanket rather than a sleeping bag i to use in the spring/summer/autumn and this fits the bill. its vintage and good. it seems quite warm though as its quite a dense weave.

will get a pic up tomorrow for you, it was very good value for money, he has various grades atm

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Well, I have some lighweight and medium weight woollen blankets and an ex Brit Army blanket which is about the heaviest/thickest blanket I have but I hear the Dutch ones blow them away. I tend to use them in layers though, and a fire is always required when i blankets but I think you get a better experience in blankets.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
cool, just need to get a ground sheet for the laavu, but might just use my basha instead, or a thick layer of ferns or something

Groundsheet? Call yourself a bushcrafter? :rolleyes: Make some mats from cat tail leaves or maybe some woven birch twigs that you can roll out like those bamboo table mats. Steer clear of the bracken, you'll get issues with ticks later on in the year.

I like the Polski Laavu though, I might have to get one and get an ammo box stove made too!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
ok cheers for the the tick tip! might go with pine boughs then or just pick nice spot and clear the ground lol before putting the blanket down :D

gotta have a groundsheet, dont want my 12v leisure battery and tv getting damp or dirty......

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
ok cheers for the the tick tip! might go with pine boughs then or just pick nice spot and clear the ground lol before putting the blanket down :D

gotta have a groundsheet, dont want my 12v leisure battery and tv getting damp or dirty......

It's a bit destructive to be honest, but they do keep you off the floor. You can make a bed from pine needles that have been shed or from leaf litter but you need to contain it or they'll just spill about and you'll be back on the floor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE