Geese- Fair Game ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I've noticed that geese come in very low across the fields near me, at a sit spot i was using in the summer, under a single oak tree, set out in a large field.
At dusk large flocks of geese come in , swooping low over the field and splitting around the tree, to land on a marshy field and lake over the river.
Now these geese are low enough, and in such dense flocks that i reckon i can easily take one down with a throwing stick.
I kinda fancy trying it, to see if it would work, but I'm not sure.
I don't think my dog is smart enough to pin the bird down, and i don't know I could dispatch it quickly. They are large birds and as i recall from my childhood quite vicious.
Is this fair game?
Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Sounds like fair game to me. :-D

I should perhaps point out that to take game (including wildfowl) in Britain you are legally required to possess a valid Game Licence. Available from the post office for £6 per year, July to July. You also need the landowner/tennant's permision. Fuller explanation on the BASC website.

Good hunting,

Dave

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I don't think a game licence is required for wildfowl. The Game Acts define game as hares, pheasants, partridge, grouse, heath or moor game, black game and bustards.

Alasdair Mitchell in his book Goose Shooting describes how he once had geese fly so close to him he could have taken them with his walking stick.

Legally, you can take quarry species of geese (pinkfoot, greylag and canada) during the season if you are an 'authorised person' ie, the landowner or someone with his permission. You can't sell dead wild geese.

They are tough birds however. I think a shotgun of 12 bore or larger (ie 10 bore to 4 bore) would be more humane.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I should add that you are doing very well to get within throwing/shooting range of wild geese. They are exceptionally wary. hence the use of decoys for most inland wildfowling.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
If I stand out in the field, the flock will actually split and go around me. They are only at a height of about 15 feet at this stage.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I may be wrong abouit the wildfowl, if so I appologise profusely. I will read the back of my game licence tonight and see what it says.

Personally I'd take 1 1/4 oz of No4 or larger shot for geese, 12 bore minimum.

Dave

silas

Nov 23, 2003
Staffordshire
If these are Canada Geese don't bother = they tast absoloutly disgusting (I was going to say foul but saw the unintended pun as I typed it.

Silas

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
Silas, that might be a result of what those particular Canadas were eating. We often eat Canada geese, and they are wonderful. Just like other goose meat.

silas

Nov 23, 2003
Staffordshire
You may well be right, perhaps the one we had had been eating old tyres and unwashed socks! :-D

I will try again, this time from a different scource.

Thanks

Silas

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh, but u think i,m far more proficient with a heavy stick.
So whats the best way finish a goose off? Quick and painless as poss
Rich

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Roving Rich said:
Yeh, but u think i,m far more proficient with a heavy stick.
So whats the best way finish a goose off? Quick and painless as poss
Rich

IWhen I watched geese being slaughtered on my friend's farm they had their legs tied together and were hung upside down on a tree and were killed with a sharp blow to the head with a stout stick - when hit right they died instantly and blood spurted out of what I imagined was the temple. The person doing the killing was one of those very experienced, grizzled old farmhands who'd been doing that sort of thing since about 1795

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE