GB Small Hatchet - any feedback?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Hi all,
find myself lusting after one of these babies, I have the small forest axe and the splitting maul and they are fantastic but I was wondering about the useability of something this size? Anyone got one or tried one?

many thanks

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Steve,

Some like them since they are so light and portable, others err to the "slightly too light" camp. My stongest suggestion is to handle one if you can and draw your own conclusion. As always when you have to carry something there is a weight / utility trade off.

I looked at a lot of axes (even more than I own :eek:) when designing the Hunters Axe with Cegga and ended up somehwere between the Wildlife Hatchet and the SFA. That provided the best balance of utility and weight for me but its a personal thing. If you see the photos of Old Jimbo splitting a big tree with a Vaughan mini, it proves that skill in use is more important than size!

Red

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
If it's the GB mini you're referring too, yes I have one. It's great for doing carving type work and small tasks like splitting kindling. That's really as far as it goes. There's not a great deal of weight in the head to do anything more serious. I put it in the "nice to have but not essential" category.

The great advantage is its size and weight. The most off-putting thing is the price. If you've got the money, go for it and carry it in conjunction with a smaller fixed blade. If you've got a decent blade and SFA and money's tight, I wouldn't bother.

Cheers,

Pablo.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
not sure if you mean the mini hatchet or the wildlife hatchet, i have both

the mini is a bit small for me, more suitable for carving.
the wildlife hatchet is a better size but its much heavier. if i was splitting wood for the fire etc i'd use this

however, those skilled with an axe (not me) would probably be able to do a lot with the mini. there's quite a big difference between size and weight

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got the mini hatchet which I find excellent for carving and kindling but little else. Given the choice, the SFA would always find a space in my pack (though it's lost out to a Cegga gem recently) simply because it's a more versatile tool. The mini hatchet is, however, very nice to use and handle.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Of all my axes the GB mini is by far the most used, but then I am more into wood craft than chopping down or limbing trees....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I love my little Mini hatchet. It goes on the response pak and will always come along on a day trip. Nobody will feel threatened by it because it looks so cute, so I don't worry about carrying it around public access woods and the like. I feel it is a very useable hatchet considering its size. It punches well above its weight, the cutting ability has to be sen to be believed. I wish I had used it to fell a few trees at Delamere, it would have done it too! Unfortunately, I was just to pre occupied with using the Small Forest Axe to take some trees apart, lopping off branches and cutting the logs into man handling sizes!

:D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I didn't use my first one so i sold it and then missed it so i bought another ....... which i still don't use much :rolleyes:
Cute wee thing but not something i have a lot of use for.
401_0164_1.jpg

I enjoy using it if im doing a bit of carving but i havent much time for that at the minute.
I just ordered a GB splitting hatchet tonight and am already thinking about my next axe :eek: , just treat yourself a new sharp thing is always nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE