GB carving axe sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Hi, I've had my GB carving axe for a couple of weeks and its been great the only thing is I can't seem to sharpen it very easily I can get it to an OK state of sharpness but the heel feels (it could just be me) less sharp and i'am getting light spots bouncing back at me. I have used a 1000grit wetstone and wet and dry for higher grits(1200etc) coloring in the bevels to make sure i don't change the angle. I've never had this trouble with any of my other axes for if anyone has any tips it would be hugely appreciated. Also (it may just be me but the curve on the edge doesn't look completely smooth i'll try to get some pictures on tomorrow)
Cheers.
Alex.:)

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hard to say without seeing it but my guess would be you need to use a lower grit to establish the edge. 1000 grit is pretty high for an axe (unless you plan to shave with it) :)

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
I have yet to use a stone on my carving axe with regular stropping being the key to avoiding using stones. A shaving sharp edge is essential for any edged tool used for woodcarving and is most easily achieved by using a wooden backed leather strop loaded with Starkie Blue honing compound or similar. A google search will turn up sources of both these items.
When stropping I find it easiest to pass the strop over the axe bevel rather than the other way around. I also tens to strop the "nose" of the cutting edge slighty more than the heel giving me a finer sharper nose for finer work and a slightly beefier heel for splitting off sections I have feathered first with the nose. That's just my preference though and has taken a while to achieve that differential edge through regular use and stropping. I only ever need to use a stone if the tools gets dropped by a student or dinged which is thankfully rare.
Drop me a PM if you need any clarification of what I've burbled on about as it would be easier to describe on the phone :)
My best, Stu

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As stuey above. One thing I may add it I much prefere DMT diamond hones over stones. You get so much more control.

I go with a course cheapo hone diamond to polish out any chips, mostly micro and then onto the fine/extra fine DMT. Then starkie blue and one of Longstriders strops.
I've tried a dozen or so Polishing compounds and nothing compares to the cut and finish speed of starkie. You really can get horrendously sharp with the above combination.

British reds tutorial on the sticky section is also well worth a look if you've not seen it already although I do realize its a carving axe.

P.s its not unusual to find the grinds on GB's a bit up and down. Maybe that's whats throwing it out a bit.

Last edited:

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Thanks guys dunno what changed but i seem to have it sharp! Its a relief to know that it wasn't me that made the grind go a bit up and down. I've just recently finished making a new strop for the smurf poo and it certainly works well.:)
Cheers.
Alex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE