GB axes

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This may sound a controversial observation but Gransfor Bruks axes almost seem like a currency on here.

They seem to change hands an awful lot. I'm guessing it's because they're now a bit of a bushcrafting badge that is bought with good intent but never/hardly used. That and they hold there value well.

The reason I bring it up is that I would like one myself, but on reflection I don't actually use the axe I already have so I can see myself falling into the same trap. (I prefer my laplander and DWC combo to carrying a heavy hatchet)

So if you have one, why aren't you using it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have one - and I use it a lot!
At home I use it for cutting down the trees in my garden and hedge, trimming off the baranches etc and using the wood for firewood. Cutting the twigs up for kindling is easiest done with the axe on a block.
In the woods the axe (an SFA) is probably the most versatile tool I have and as well as dropping dead standing firewood that is wider than my Laplander wants to play with, it is ideal for trimming off the branches and OK for splitting logs.
I also use the axe to rough out carvings/spoons etc.
I bought the axe after trying several different ones. I have a selection of hatchets and a Billhook at home but sold on my GB Wildlife hatchet when I found the SFA better for my needs. A GB hand hatchet lives in my van as a discreet firewood collector (alongside a folding saw). The hatchets at home have different profiles (cutting/splitting) and one is slim enough to fit into my canoe pack easily.
OK my Billhok often replaces my SFA on trips where I know the SFA is overkill .... but I still find that an axe or hatchet of some sort is a trusted and well used friend on most trips, along with my knife and Laplander saw :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I use mine a lot. Lots of GB carving axes and wildlife hatchets for carving courses though I use lots of other cheaper axes too. GB splitting maul for many tons of firewood though I used cheap splitting mauls for years and they work well. They don't devalue because one that is a few years old is every bit as good as a new one.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You may be right that folk feel an axe is a necessary part of the complete kit but actually sees little use on a normal camping trip. I would ask the question where do you go camping? are you allowed to cut trees? if not leave the axe out. Having said that I don't see a problem if folk want to buy one, keep it for a while find they don't use it much and sell it on for a few quid less than they bought it for.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I tend to use an axe more than i do anything else tbh. I love em. I bought a SFA about 4 years ago now, and since then i have bought maybe 15 different axes to try out. Out of them all i've only kept the SFA and a cold steel trail hawk.

The best ( by best i mean the one i liked the most) axe that i had, believe it or not was the argos axe. Once the edge is sorted they are excellent tools, nice size, nice profile, nice weight, good cutter, good splitter. I gave mine away and still regret it to this day. They had stopped selling them when i went to buy another.

I have a love/hate relationship going on with the SFA though, i love the size and the feel and cutting power, but i hate the fact that its one of the the poorest splitters i have ever used. I'm still looking for that one perfect axe. I thought i had found it in the Hudson bay pattern by snow and Neally, but i never bought one as i heard their quality had gone down hill. The Wilderness axe on RM site looks handy but at that price it will have to stay looking handy. :D. The outdoor axe tickles my fancy too, so i reckon one of them will be my next axe purchase.

The thing with axes is they are the most difficult and dangerous tool to master. So while they are one of the "essential" tools of bushcraft, they are also the one that get passed over a lot for the safer and easier learning of knife and saw. But if you can get your head and skill around axe use, they do pretty much everything qucker and more efficiently than the knife/saw combo. :)

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I use mine almost daily..collecting deadfall for an elderly neighbour, woodcarving, whittling and a shed load of various tasks. If I am going camping I take the GB and my main bushcraft knife a 30 quid Condor bushlore which outperforms many of my more expensive knifes, with these 2 tools I am satisfied that I can deal with most eventualities.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Maybe a little off topic , but very relevant, a few years ago whilst out felling a large oak , we foolishly forgot our splitting maul and wedges.
It was much quicker to go to a local hardware store than go home , so i bought a new maul with 2 wedges taped to the shaft for about £20 , got back inserted the wedges and began whacking the hell out of them , all of a sudden my pal let out a yelp, a small slither of steel had shot off the wedge and imbedded itself in his chest !
Off to casualty , small surgical procedure under local , a few stiches and back to work .

Moral of tale DO NOT ! buy cheap chinese steel axes and expect them to be any kind of substitute for a GB or similair .

Anyway back to topic, i have a SFA , which is a lovely thing , but is too short for splitting logs , unless of course kneeling , as the handle length and weight in my opinion make it dangerous , i slipped when stood up splitting some beech rings , and if it had not been for my bates boots and a glancing blow , i would have had a serious injury , deep in the woods miles from anywhere !

Since that episode , i have not used my axe , but can't seem to part with it .

Brilliant bit of kit for all the obvious and listed reasons, but would strongly advise not stood up splitting logs , other than up to 6inch , straight grained ash ! because i think it could end in tears !

Horses for courses , of course , you wouldn't use a toffee hammer to break up concrete !!

Ivan... ( i might swap it , oh i dunno ! )

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I don't have a GB axe but do have plenty of other older British axes.
I use them quite a lot at home for making up handles for other axes and for the odd bit of carving roughing out. Have also cut down a dozen trees in my garden.
I do take one with me when I camp, it is sometimes essential for cutting firewood.
As to people buying then selling the GB axes, I reckon they think they need it as a piece of kit then find they don't really have a use for it.
Having permission to camp AND cut down trees is not always possible.
If I came across a GB carver going for a reasonable price I would take it as I would like to see how they fare.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I try to keep my kit to minimum and Light so never used my axe, if fact sold it a long time ago, for my purposes it was overkill.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought an SFA after much deliberation last year, loved it cared for it and the first time I used it(with some trepidation I have to add) I nearly lopped off the top third of my finger. Tempted to say burger it and sell it on I went and did a weekend Axe workshop at Venture Bushcraft(not attached just a really satisfied customer) and learnt how to use it from felling, splitting, carving and care. Since then I feel happier about using it and carrying it. For some I guess they buy it then find there's nowhere near them where they can actually get access to wood to use the axe and so sell it on.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
yesterday i used mine for, chopping up kindling, shaping the belly of a flat bow and making the shaft for a flint axe.

i cant really remember how many times i have used it, but ive used it more than any other tool

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I have had a few different axes over the years but keep going back to a GB ( just got another one thanks Paul )

I also know that I can get my money back if I do fancy a change

The point is to use them not just polish the thing ,after all that is what they were made for, and in real terms there is not that much difference in cost between a cheep one from B and Q or a GB

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Loads of good reasons people hold on to them. Doesn't really explain why you see so many for sale or trade though? I think although I want one, my need isn't sufficient enough to justify the purchase.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I have had a few different axes over the years but keep going back to a GB ( just got another one thanks Paul )

I also know that I can get my money back if I do fancy a change

The point is to use them not just polish the thing ,after all that is what they were made for, and in real terms there is not that much difference in cost between a cheep one from B and Q or a GB
I think that handle makes a great difference, the hickory of GB is great, i don't get pains from shocks up the handle. The axe head is very easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. Its balanced just below the axe head so controlled swings are a breeze, the axe head is secured very well and best of all its comes with a lifetime warranty and is hand made with the makers initials proudly stamped onto it. I'd love to see one from B&Q live up to anything like a GB axe.

Ste

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Loads of good reasons people hold on to them. Doesn't really explain why you see so many for sale or trade though? I think although I want one, my need isn't sufficient enough to justify the purchase.

My honest opinion on what your asking is that people just buy one because they think they need one. Lots of people have them and then Joe Bloggs thinks " if they have them I must need one" said person buys one then realizes they don't need one after all.

I have one and it gets used, not as often as many users here but all the same it is used. I find I can do many of the jobs with my SFA that I can do with my knife, I recently got a wildlife hatchet and that gets used plenty.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am no statistician but considering how many folk are on the forum and how many axes there are out there and that GBs probably account for a high proportion of those axes it doesn't surprise me that they also account for a lot of the for sale adds. Can you think of another piece of kit that is so easily turned into cash when the need arises and where there are so many of them about? It's hardly worth selling your mora clipper and I doubt the same number of folk can afford a woodlore knife, that leaves tarps, sleeping bags etc where there is no clear market leader. I may be wrong but I would say the number of adds is not out of proportion to what we would expect and doesn't support the idea that lots of folk buy then regret.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE