Gas bottle stoves(DONT TRY THIS AT HOME)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
life started off like this

Image080.jpg

little bit of sanding

Image081.jpg

made out all the templates in paper then cut out of 3mm flat steel.

DSCF1019.jpg

found a suitable chimney of 4 inch x 3mm pipe and cut to size.

Image162.jpg

off to the workshop she goes.it really started to take shape at this point.

Image165.jpg

the finished product painted in silver 980 degree very high temp enamel paint.

DSCF1023.jpg

alot of time and effort and especially patience to get it to this level.

DSCF1022.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

hope this helps anyone looking to build one from scratch.
If you have any questions give me a shout.

Enjoy
Cheers DRMsarge

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To anyone who thinks they can't weld - get someone to show you - you'll learn to arc weld in an afternoon, then it's practice.

I must have been really slow then cos with arc welding all I learned in an afternoon was to produce pidgeon ****e, took me about a year to get my Lloyds coding when I was a young traineee.

Migs a doddle to pick up in comparison.

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
cheers demographic

its a real clinker when stoked up to the max but its great for those BBQ nites when it gets a tad nippy later in the evening.

cheers
DRMsarge

i've used a lot of those on site and squats. used to know a guy who'd make a simple one for £40 with no chimney (use a bit of flexipipe)

they're pretty ubiquitous on site. and dangerous too. i've seen those things glowing redhot in caravans. that's when i go and fetch water.

can't be too careful with them flames

fine outdoors tho

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
Instead of using a gas bottle, would an old stainless steel beer keg not be safer (non-flammable gas etc)?. Friends of mine have made bbqs and braziers from them.
Happy trails...torc.

Noooooooo! Stainless steel beer kegs are for stills. All you need is a little copper and a place to hide it from whatever your equivalent of the BATF is. :)

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
Hey guys
Just make sure you take it indoors when your not using it.
If possible put it in a shed because it will rust like a mofo if you leave it out even though it is painted with enamel paint.

NOTE!!!

MAKE SURE IT IS COLD AND ALL EMBERS ARE OUT BEFORE STORING IT IN A "WOODEN " SHED LOL

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
Hey Folks

glad to hear your giving this a bash because not many have the time,skill or the interest to start something like this and see it through to the finished article lol.

ok on the cutting side of things I was very lucky because when I picked up the bottle from the scrap yard it already had the valve off it for some time and it was upside down in a large metal skip and by the looks of things it had been there for quite a while so when it came down to the cutting I was confident enough that all traces of gas were gone.

even with that though I still filled it with water and let the hose run inside it and overflow for about half an hour before I put a blade near it.

hope it turns out well and keep me posted with a few pics during the build process.

if possible try and make the vent at the bottom as wide as possible as mine doesnt let enough draft in.I have to keep the door open slightly to get enough draw.
also I used cast trailer hinges for the door hinges as they work great even at high heat.

I hope you've got alot of patience to sand that bottle down to the bare metal.reason for doing that is the paint coating that calor use is like a galvanised based paint that will burn off when you lite it for the first time and destroy your good paint job.
also when you do paint it I would reccomend black enamel log stove paint.
I tried the silver at the start but it didnt kick out enough heat so the black worked a treat at the end. 4 coats should do it and will be more rust resistant.mine has been out all winter and it still looks great. make sure the china-man top on the chimney is removable as its only to keep the rain out of it when its not in use.

thought you's mite want a few pointers on things I got wrong with my own when builbing and rectified.

speak soon campers and good luck
SARGE

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
front room woodlander

I would make you a small one no probs but you'd probably be better asking rancid badger as he lives in england compared to myself from ireland.
production cost and postage mite be to high lol

good luck
SARGE

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
I have done a few of these the way I did it was. I vented the remaining gas out of the bottles valve by pressing the valve off its seat with a nail. When the hissing stops I remove the valve with a spanner and a wooden mallet. These can sometimes be stubborn so i have resorted to a drift to get things moving. The blue butane cylinders have a righthand thread but i have heard that some propane bottles can be lefthand thread but i dont know this from experience as i have only used the other kind. Once the valve is out tip the bottle upside down and run off any remaing lpg then fill with water to the top to displace any remaining gas i leave them like this for a day or so and all should be well.If there is a suspicion that there might be gas remaing leave the cylinder upside down for another day and give it a chance to vent which it will because the gas is heavier than air and will flow out.Remember though this has the potential to maime or even kill you so if you are in any doubt leave it alone .Atb Grip

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just to clarify; I don't make these stoves my brother made them from bottles from the scrap yard.

Apologies to anyone who has asked questions that haven't been answered but I hadn't noticed the thread come back to life:eek:

You're cetainly right with the safety pointers, not to mention the time it takes to make these things.

As for the skill involved, well that comes with practice, patience and the confidence that builds with familiarity.

He always uses a stick welder for these, mainly because that's what he's got. He has access to mig welding gear and often uses this for other work but prefers the stick for these:dunno:

The other point about leaving them outside; well this one was never painted as he didn't have the money for the paint at the time it was made and he wanted to use it straight away so of course it has a nice "patina":D

see here:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81995&p=993456&posted=1#post993456

Cheers

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE