Gas bottle stoves(DONT TRY THIS AT HOME)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I love things like this , whats the pipe he used for the flue ? is it water pipe , thats one thing I havnt been able to beg borrow or steal :) On the stove we made for the tepi we had to buy the flue

Pop down to your local truck breakers and ask if they have an old exhaust pipe off a tractor unit...might cost around a fiver:D

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Instead of using a gas bottle, would an old stainless steel beer keg not be safer (non-flammable gas etc)?. Friends of mine have made bbqs and braziers from them.
Happy trails...torc.

Instead of using a gas bottle, would an old stainless steel beer keg not be safer (non-flammable gas etc)?. Friends of mine have made bbqs and braziers from them.
Happy trails...torc.

Better reefilled with beer :D plus they are more difficult to get hold of

but its not really that dangerous at all cutting up a gas bottle if you follow the simple procedure of emptying it
of course if you want a darwin award nomination us a full one :D :rolleyes:

its more dangerous wielding a large angle grinder if you dont know what your doing or an Arc welder etc

ATB

Duncan

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Happy trails...torc.

Snag with this; is the welding, if all you need to do is cut or drill the container,as opposed to fix things to it, then stainless kegs would be great. If you have access to stainless welding kit, then your away!;)

Singeblister : I love things like this , whats the pipe he used for the flue ? is it water pipe , thats one thing I havnt been able to beg borrow or steal On the stove we made for the tepi we had to buy the flue

I think the flue pipes he uses, are made from at least 100mm tube:bluThinki I'm not sure of the source but to be honest , He's got all sorts of "handy stuff" lying around the yard:D

R.B.

rancid badger

Better reefilled with beer :D plus they are more difficult to get hold of

but its not really that dangerous at all cutting up a gas bottle if you follow the simple procedure of emptying it
of course if you want a darwin award nomination us a full one :D :rolleyes:

its more dangerous wielding a large angle grinder if you dont know what your doing or an Arc welder etc

ATB

Duncan

That's Why I leave that stuff to him:D
cheers
R.B.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I love things like this , whats the pipe he used for the flue ? is it water pipe , thats one thing I havnt been able to beg borrow or steal :) On the stove we made for the tepi we had to buy the flue

As I heard that the mimimum legal requirement for houshold flues was five inches diameter, me and my mate used six inch steel pipe that he skipratched from a local engineering company, he did ask first though.

rancid badger

I thought I'd share a few pics of the "product improved" version or MkIII:D

I was up at his place on Sunday for an hour or two and this is what he was working on:
4mm flue pipe, door and hotplate. makes it all a bit lighter than using treadplate
PC070023.jpg

this one is designed to be used for heating pots or even as a small griddle, as well as a simple heater. The flue pipe is short so you fit an extension to it. This make it more portable than the first two.

Busy busy:
PC070027copysized.jpg

cheers
R.B.

Kitetraveller

Jul 22, 2007
Norfolk
The whole idea looks great! Just one question; what about the ash?

Demographic has an ash tray in his; how does this one manage?

Thanks.
Andy

rancid badger

The whole idea looks great! Just one question; what about the ash?

Demographic has an ash tray in his; how does this one manage?

Thanks.
Andy

Well I was back up there today again and funnily enough, I asked the same question.
the answer is that there doesn't appear to be much left!
After 4 days of using the MkI to heat his work area, he had Fired up the latest one to test it, this meant that the other one could be cleaned out, 4 days of use had left about 1/2-3/4 of an inch of white/grey dust in the bottom which he was able to simply tip out onto the soil.
I imagine that a heavier design would be better with a tray but these ones are fairly lightweight, allowing them to be emptied easily.

If and when I get hold of one for my workshop, I'll just let the ash build up for a while, then one morning before lighting, and after making certain it's totally out:D
I'll just use my "work" vacuum cleaner to suck the cack out;)

Cheers
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The only thing to be careful of with letting the ash build up, is when you forget and start to blow like hell to get the fire started next morning. Then you end up with a face full of ash, down your neck, up your sleeves, and if it's still hot from the day before it's no fun. (Don't ask me how I know). Very nice though.

One small point Steve. When fitting the chimney sections, make sure the chimney fits inside the lower piece rather than slipping on over the top. Wood fires create a build up of creosote inside the chimney, and placing the section over the lower one will result in creosote running down the outside once it trickles down to the joint. It's better if it trickles down the inside. (Again, don't ask me how I know).

Eric

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I saw a design for a gas can stove a while back but haven't seen it since. It was turned upside down and a car wheel hub was welded onto the top (now the bottom) for stability - you could probably use something lighter and less bulky if it needed to be portable. then a flat metal plate was welded onto the bottom (now the top) to act as a large hot plate and then the flue came out the back. Seems to me this is probably the simplist design with a good sized hotplate.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Snag with this; is the welding, if all you need to do is cut or drill the container,as opposed to fix things to it, then stainless kegs would be great. If you have access to stainless welding kit, then your away!;)

Could be wrong, as i am not a pro, but i have always been told that stainless is by far the easyest material to weld with the same kit as you would use for anything else, as it is purer.
At least me father and uncle (Auto-body garage) and the smith we have at work (farming and gardenry machines) say it to be so.

But then again: i cant weld if my life depended on it, so i wouldn't have a clue.

I know Aluminium needs different welding equipment tho :D

DRMsarge

Apr 26, 2009
N.Ireland
Alrite buddy hows it going

made a start on a design based on your mkll cylinder burner.
its using a slightly larger cylinder.

a couple of mods i'm thinking of doing would be instead of a straight chimney kicking it at a 45 degree angle using the bottles natural curve at the top rather like a domestic chimney.
do you think this mite cause problems with the draw?

also the door at the front will be split just above the intake vent so that it stays shut while restocking up with logs etc so I have 2 doors instead of just the one big door.

would you recommend a valve in the chimney to regulate the output?
also is it correct to use 4" pipe for the chimney or do I need bigger?

if I knew how to post pics on here i'd do a build step by step picture diary lol

cheers
DRMsarge

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Happy trails...torc.

Singeblister : I love things like this , whats the pipe he used for the flue ? is it water pipe , thats one thing I havnt been able to beg borrow or steal On the stove we made for the tepi we had to buy the flue

I think the flue pipes he uses, are made from at least 100mm tube:bluThinki I'm not sure of the source but to be honest , He's got all sorts of "handy stuff" lying around the yard:D

R.B.

If I can just clarify, If you are using a stick welder then you just need stainless rods if you want the weld to be stainless otherwise you can just use general purpose rods, but the weld will not be atainless.

Smoggy.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm on with making another version of my mates garage stove, theres a few improvements that I'm hoping to incorporate into it this time and it should look a lot neater this time, last time was just thrown together and looks it.
Also I got hold of channel instead of girder so the pots that fit on the hotplate are can be bigger as they don't have to fit into the girder web.
I found (in a skip) a very accurate laboratory diaphragm pump with adjustable stroke and adjustable pump speed that I might use so it can also burn waste oil, the usual waste oil burners have a jet orifice or tap that allows the oil to be metered, problem with that system is that when the oil gets warmer, the viscosity gets less and the oil feeds the stove faster.
The stove getting more waste oil gets hotter and so the viscosity gets lower again and the whole thing ends up in a feedback loop and gets silly (aparently, as I've never made one before) and self feeds. The rediculously expensive to buy, but free out of a skip pump should solve that problem.

So far I have only done some chimney cutouts though:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE