Gap Year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Well, I'm contemplating taking a gap year after school, and was thinking I could do a good bit of bushcraft type stuff..
Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to go out somewhere to learn stuff or something.. I don't really know how that works!
If I was to have a gap year I'd want to make the most of it..
I know I've been fairly vague - any ideas would be great!
Allie

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Investigate the possibilities out there for an ... internship. You get lots of experience, some (small) pay, and even more school credits. It's one of those things they love to see on that job resume.

So check out if there are any opportunities in the local plant nurseries, the garden shops, forest management, farms, even check into the fishing industry. And don't forget about various school/gov/research projects. They love interns - cheap extra help from people who are genuinely interested in the work.

The "pay" usually isn't much. But it can often include housing and food, with a little "stipend" on the side for the occasional pub-night-out.

And also check into various "caretaker" positions. You would have to work the normal cleaning/maintenance stuff, but you would usually have housing - often with a stipend to help with food and other expenses.

And sometimes there isn't an actual "job" being offered, but walking up to a local farmer, introducing yourself, and explaining something of what you are looking to do could lead to a position working on a small or "truck" farm (growing veggies for the local farmer's market). Especially if it is an older farmer/couple that is in need of a little extra help, but can't really afford to hire anyone - they might even sort of "adopt" you.

Just a few possibilities to consider.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Of course, there's always that old "standby" ...

signing onto an old "tramp frieghter"

for a trip or three. The little "coaster" ones usually only have runs of a couple days at a time - sticking pretty close to home port. But some make pretty dedicated runs on fairly predictable time-tables. A trip from one of the ports in Britain down to one of the Meditteranian ports and back could be quite an adventure - with room/board provided by the ship, and a little "pay" when you return with that new tan!

Of course, most countries have various laws/regs about who can work on the ships, and then there are the various unions that also would have their say. But there are some jobs that are outside of that stuff - for good or bad.

Just another ... possibility.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
not bushcraft as such but how bout volunteer work for one of the many organisations that work in the countryside? Good way of meeting like minded folk, landowners (you see where I'm going here?) and local rangers. Also it may bulk up your CV for a possible future in the outdoors/countryside industry.

Or

Join an expidition. Just as an example, a few years back a friend of mine joined "The Hot Rock Global Challenge" which was basicaly a tour of the world climbing. He paid a fortune to get on the leg from Austrailia to London (I think) but said it was worth every penny. There's bound to be some kind of expidition looking for people.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Duke of edinbourough award? You need to make a gap year productive in todays climate it can set you back from your goals. Experience is more important than qualifications in my opinion, so if you were planning on an outdoors related field of study, or science, gear the gap year towards that, eg getting diving, canoeing qualifications and alike, or paying for a working holiday expedition and make sure you take notes.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I did an expedition in honduras with Operation Wallecea,, where i learned to dive. If you have enough time and money you can get several dive qualifications under your belt there.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I went on a Raleigh International expedition to Chile when I left school, had a fantastic three months away www.raleighinternational.org You have to raise £3000 (or pay yourself) but its well worth it.
We used Bushcraft skills everyday- cooking on open fires, sleeping in rough shelters, fishing for food to name but a few. These skills were an on the side to the main objectives- community work, mountaineering, sea kyacking- treking etc Check it out. Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE