Gap Year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
i am taking a gap year next accedemic year and was wondering if anybody had any advice or really great experiences any where.
so far im going to the french alps for a season of chalet work, and possiblu a trip to new zealand (sp?) after, but other than that am not sure
any thing at all would be good
thanks
tp

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would suggest a trek in Nepal. Look at the Annapurna circuit rather than Everest. The trek to Everest Base Camp is often referred to as 'the Kleenex Trail', with good reason. I met quite a few gap year students on both the times I've been there. A great adventure and once you get to Nepal it doesn't cost the earth. :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
fred gordon said:
I would suggest a trek in Nepal. Look at the Annapurna circuit rather than Everest. The trek to Everest Base Camp is often referred to as 'the Kleenex Trail', with good reason. I met quite a few gap year students on both the times I've been there. A great adventure and once you get to Nepal it doesn't cost the earth. :)

From what I understand, Bhutan is much more "untouched" ecologically and culturally than Nepal is these days. Can't verify that myself though as I have unfortunately not been in either of the places.

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
My advice is go with an open mind and you can have an amazing time wherever you end up. Everywhere has its beauty. If you engage the locals then you can't lose. Read up about the place but don't go with the guide book to much and you'll be cool and have some original adventures. If your travelling by yourself be safe but you should meet loads of people in the same position if you’re not going to be in a very remote place. Common sense and friendliness goes a long way.

Here’s a short summary of my experiences. When I took my gap year I went to Australia to visit my Godmother, Vanuatu to return to my birthplace (my parents were teachers with the overseas development agency and I stayed till I was 4 then moved to England), Fiji and then to New Zealand to meet another family friend and a final few days in New York. I went with my brother and New York was more so he could meet his girlfriend. I spent between a week and a month in most places and could have spent more time in the majority of places, particularly New Zealand.

In Australia Perth was a cool city and by all accounts the west coast is fantastic as is the south though didn’t make it outside of Perth. Alice Springs was a bit depressing full of thoughtless tourists paying no attention to the down and out aboriginals and when we got to Ayers rock acting as though the signs saying please no photos were invisible. Our guide was a top bloke and had no time for disrespectful tourists. At the east coast we ran into the English backpacker culture and escaped it by going to a sleepy retirement town called Forster-Tuncurry for sea kayaking and bodyboarding. In Vanuatu we met old friends and caught up with many important people and saw a simpler way of life, ground oven cooking, cava drinking and outrigger paddling. Fiji was cool but again a backpacker place but the local diving guys were ace. New Zealand was a great country and hope to return one day. Great scenery, amazing things to do (kayaking, caving and so much more) you will not be disappointed. New York was a big bad city and I have to say I don't plan on going back. But even there I met some great people (most them South American and a Philippino) and saw an opposite way and impact of life to Vanuatu.

Since my gap year I've had the privilege to spend a week in the primary jungle on a university field course in Borneo at Dannum valley. Before this I spent time in the Philippines. The Philippines is a great country with many problems but the people were positive and unbelievably friendly. Never received so much generosity and genuine friendliness from people I didn't already know. Got taken out for meals, given free guides and helped with a villages fishing. The Philippines had mountains, caves, surfing, diving and hardly any backpackers (a friend and I saw one or two in the cities only) but sex tourists about. Borneo had amazing jungle, beautiful beaches, fabulous diving (Sipidan Island is in the top 3 in the world) and a lot of palm oil plantation.

SO many places to go though; South America, Sweden, Africa, Asia, Canada, Indonesia are just a few I want to head too, but I'm thinking I should calm down the old CO2 emissions now and am focusing on places closer to home. Hope the ramble has given you some ideas. Spent some long shifts in the fish and chip shop for runds but was all worth it and makes you appreciate it.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
wow, thanks alot every one, lots to think about, thansk esp to joseph, for sharing his experiences. now i think about it i do have relations spread arround the globe, so it would be a good idea to visit them, didnt think of that.
thanks again every one
tp

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
torjusg said:
From what I understand, Bhutan is much more "untouched" ecologically and culturally than Nepal is these days. Can't verify that myself though as I have unfortunately not been in either of the places.
You are probably right here. However, to trek in Bhutan you need to be part of a group, I understand, and it costs quite a lot of cash. I treked in Nepal with one of my sons. All the cash we spent there went into the pockets of the Nepalese and not into the pockets of the tour operators. Most of them are based outwith the country and the locals never see most of it. Depends on how you feel about that I assume.:rolleyes:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
There's a place i know of where proper civilisation has yet to reach. The natives, while in the most part not exactly hostile, can be hard to understand and communicate with. The weather can be changable from one day to the next, which IMO adds to the excitement. The local fauna can be unpredictable and the flaura a bit wild, but once you have been there you'll never forget the experience!

Where is it? Oh, yes. Sunderland!

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE