Galloway things to see/do & maybe as far north as Glasgow holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Heading up to Gatehouse of fleet later in the year & will be pootling around that sort of area of Scotland for a few days.

Apart from the cream of Galloway ice cream place & Sulwarth brewery haven't got anything planned. probably head up as far north as Glasgow & west to the coast.

If there's anything people think I shouldn't miss please let me know.
this especially includes any camping/shooting/surplus/fishing/food/whisky/etc type shops :)

Any walks will be day walks only & as I'm a none smoker now will definitely come complete with midge repellant, head net, & deet!

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Wigton for bookshops and usually Osprey on camera in town hall, whisky place nearby in Bladenoch?, Gunshop,fishing and a camp shop in Newton Stewart.
Plenty walking all around but your close to the hills too for a wander up the Merrick or others, rspb reserve at wood of cree, newton stewart are good woods for a wander.
You should see Red Kite without trouble,feeding station near Castle Douglas.
Forest drives are around too, Raiders road,Loch Doon etc.
Used to be a surplus shop in Lanark,hidden up a close, haven't been there in years though.
That's all i can think of for now.
Tom

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sounds good, thanks for your suggestions :You_Rock_ Keep em comming.

Be lucky to get SWMBI up the Merrick, made her do 6.5 miles on the flat the other day & she was moaning bout her legs aching then.

Used to holiday at Blackwater yearly as a youngun, the dam keeper was an old scouting friend of my dads, fine memories of my first trout caught, frogspawn in the burn, dipping sheep, collecting the hens eggs and a childhood crush on a young farm girl called Anne Brown :eek:

Magical memories of a time before work and worries.

Have done the Merrick, the Grey man, back hill of the bush bothy, some famous swampy land "silver" something?? & Loch Enoch on walks as a kid may try & have a look again.

Be interesting to spend some time up there & see how the past 25 years have changed it.

I last drove through the area 16 years ago & went to visit the old couple in their tiny little cottage that they moved too when he retired from the Hydro.

From passing through in the car it certainly didn't look like I'd remembered it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE