"Galemys fire piston tutorial", making a fire piston out of hardware store material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands

This is how I make my own fire pistons out of normal commercially available hardware store material & is meant as a guidance. There are off course numerous other ways to make working fire pistons. Clicking on the pictures will lead you to my photobucket account with bigger sized pictures

Tom Lourens AKA Galemys, 2008

How to make a simple fire piston out of hardware store material

Materials needed

•copper tubing Ø 12 mm (inside ± 10 mm)
•brass end cap for 12 mm tubing
•wooden piston rod ( ± 10 mm)
•wooden knob
•rubber o-ring (Ø <10 mm)
•saw for metal
•file or sandpaper
•good glue (or soldering gear)
•oil or grease (for lubrication)
•charcloth or other tinder
•drill bits 4-7 mm, 10 mm & conical shaped sanding bit for tapering (optional)

Method

Use the saw to cut of a length of copper tube ± 9-12 cm (the inside is smooth enough of itself)

Use a file or sandpaper to smoothen the rough saw cuts on both ends

To allow easy entrance of the piston rod, taper the first 1-2 millimeters of the inside on one end with a special drill bit, a file or a piece of sandpaper folded into a cone. Remove any metal dust

Rough, smooth & tapered

Solder or glue the brass end cap onto the the smoothed (not the tapered!) end of the copper tube, the tube is now finished. Another option for sealing the tube at one end is to plug the end with a piece of wood or metal rod, make sure the wood is treated with superglue or similar to make it non-porous

Saw the rod to the correct length; a few centimeters longer than the tube. Smoothen the rough saw cuts with sandpaper

Insert the piston rod (just as a drill bit) into a handdrill powertool, you can now let the rod spin and use a file or fine toothed saw to make a smooth & even ringed incision at ± 2-3 mm off the end of the piston rod (if the rod is just a bit too thick for the tube you can also sand it down very evenly by using this method)

This incision is meant for the o-ring & both have to match exactly. the purpose is to get an even incision that is the exact same depth all around the rod, if this is not the case the rubber o-ring will stick out at some place or leakage will occur underneath the o-ring when trying to compress the air inside the piston. It is a precise job and it requires lots of trying out by putting the o-ring in place and trying to make it slide into the tube. When searching for the perfect fit, the piston rod should be entering the tube without trouble and moving freely up & down the piston tube (use oil or fat as lubricant) with not too much resistance when pushed. The groove can also be made by hand (hold the file or saw in the same position as the picture and turn the rod with the other hand)

Drill a shallow hole into the working end of the piston rod (the end with the rubber o-ring), 4-7 millimeters wide with a depth of a few millimeters, this is the 'tinder cavity' or tinder cup in which the tinder is placed

As most woods are porous you'll have to make the tinder cup and surrounding rim airtight by applying some superglue, several thin layers may be needed. Make sure that the o-ring isn't glued! Let dry

Drill a hole in the wooden knob and glue (or screw) it onto the handheld end of the piston rod, make sure the piston rod is still long enough to reach the bottom of the tube

Put some lubricant on the o-ring and test the air compression of the piston by inserting it into the tube.

When you try to push it in fast you should feel the ‘cushion’of compressed air at the end of the stroke that forces the piston rod to bounce back. In the ideal case you shouldn’t be able to touch the bottom of the tube with the piston rod, not even when pushing it in slowly (most of my working fire piston do this only when I push the piston rod in very fast, so don’t despair if yours is leaking air at slow speed). If there is no rebounce, apply more layers of superglue and check the attachment of the endcap. If you do feel the 'air cushion' you are good to go.

The piston after rebounding:

Fill the tinder cup with charcloth (I roll a little piece into a loose ball and push it in) or other good tinder, lubricate the rubber o-ring and place the piston rod in the tube

The most ergonomic way of striking is to put the tube upright on a hard surface, holding it steady with one hand. Use the palm of the other hand to push the piston rod with a forceful & -very important- speedy stroke into the tube & pull it out again by gripping the wooden knob with the fingers in one smooth movement, the faster this move, the better. If the stroke is too slow the coal will extinguish itself by consuming all the available oxygen in the enclosed tube. Practise this movement a lot! (in the beginning I got an ember once in every 50 tries...now mostly in one strike)

If everything went right you can now see a smouldering ember in the tinder cup. Use a pin to transfer the ember to a tinder nest and blow this into flame

There you go, a simple homemade fire piston out of hardware shop material:

A more traditional gasket; winding thread

To make a more traditional gasket, as used in the original Southeast Asian fire pistons, a thread can be wound around the piston end instead of using an o-ring. Originally waxed silk or other thread was used to form the gasket.

You will need a broader (4 mm or more) and shallower incision for winding with thread compared to the rubber o-ring method. There is no absolute need for knots; if you make a slightly deeper groove at the upper and underpart of the incision you can bury the beginning and end of your winding thread in both grooves

I have used ordinary cotton thread and there was no need to treat it with wax to make it airtight

Just moisten the thread by running it trough your mouth and then wind it tightly (starting at the tinder cup end) around the piston

Wind tightly and press each turn to the previous one with a fingernail for a closer fit. If the fit is too loose try winding more turns or try winding up the thread itself (making it slightly thicker) before turning it around the rod. When you reach the end of the incision hold the excess thread with one finger

Lubricate the wound gasket and push it into the tube with some force, turning the piston rod in the same direction as the winding. The windings will be kneaded into the right shape, forming an airtight closure. If it really doesn't fit into the tube, the gasket is too thick and the winding or the groove must be adapted. It will take some time to find the perfect fit

If the gasket fits well, the excess thread can simply be cut off

Load the tinder cup with some charcloth, and try the fire piston out. Each time you insert the piston use a screwing motion in the same direction as the winding (if you turn it in the opposite direction the winding may become undone)

A simple homemade fire piston with a more traditional gasket:

Cheers,

Tom

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Brilliant tutorial very clear instructions and clear pictures.
Guess what I'm doing this weekend.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm, that looks interesting.
What is a fire piston and how do they work?
Anyone know of a YouTube with one?
Am very intrigued. Never heard of one before, so can someone give a full debrief of what they are/do/how they work etc?
Cheers.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Am very intrigued. Never heard of one before, so can someone give a full debrief of what they are/do/how they work etc?
Cheers.

A fire piston is a device to make fire, a kind of 'primitive' firestarter.
It uses the heat that is generated by the compression of air to ignite sensitive tinder such as charcloth. It basically consists of a tube, enclosed on one end, and a piston that uses an o-ring or a gasket to make an airtight seal. Swiftly compressing air rises the temperature following the adiabatic gas law.

Fire pistons made out of hardwood, bone or bamboo were found widespread in use by different tribal communities in South East Asia in the 19th century and a similar device was invented around 1800 in Europe where they were made commonly out of metal. The use of fire pistons dwindled after the introduction of safety matches and lighters. However, BOD of this forum met a few Jakun tribesmen in Malaysia, that could still show him their traditional fire pistons and had the knowledge of making one themselves. As far as I know these are the only people that still use it in a traditional context, most users nowadays are European/American people that buy modern fire pistons via internet.

See also :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

or search for fire piston on youtube and you will find several videos of them in use

There are some people on this forum that make beautifully turned fire pistons out of hardwood or horn and you can even find clear plastic ones on the internet

Here are some others; two hardwood ones made by Mario Zwaneveld (one is in the sheath), a clear acrylic one made by Ed Read and some various ones made by myself, there are also shown some different kinds of fire piston tinders: charcloth, cramp balls (Daldinia concentrica), 'chaga' (true tinder fungus, Inonotus obliquus) and the trama layer of the horse hoof fungus (Fomes fomentarius):

Cheers,

Tom

PS If you PM me your E-mail address I can send you some more background information (articles about fire pistons by Henry Balfour and by Richard Jamison/Mel deWeese)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Excellent post!! I'll have to try this out, I've wanted one for a while for fancy cigarette lighting and general showing off :eek:

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
...I've wanted one for a while for fancy cigarette lighting and general showing off :eek:

Haha I quite like that phrase!:lmao:

Here are two other possibilities for making an airtight gasket:

A piece of leather pushed into the tube while wet will dry up with the correct diameter & shape, see the following link: http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/firepiston/rw1/index.html)

I haven't tried the following but it sounds plausible enough to work:
use an extra piece of tubing as a casting mall, grease it and fill it with glue, epoxy or a resin/charcoal mixture too make a perfect fitting cast

Cheers,

Tom

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Great post Tom.

Do you think it would work with a metal piston?

My other hobby is making steam engines so I thought about turning a piston on my lathe to suit some brass tube I've got.

I usually use Graphite yarn to make a piston seal.

I think I'll give it a go:rolleyes:

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent thread Tom, thanks for sharing

Can`t believe this one slipped under the radar

:You_Rock_

Five star rating from me

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Do you think it would work with a metal piston?

Richard

Metal will work, the first European fire pistons fabricated at the start of the 19th century all had pistons made of metal with a metal cilinder to match. Later, there were also fire pistons with glass or crystal cilinders marketed so the bright flash of the compressed air could be seen.
Anything non-porous (or made non porous) and stiff enough should work.

Thank´s for all the kind words guys, cheers,

Tom

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Tom, any chance of getting the further reading you mentioned earlier.
I've made a few out of alluminium or plastic air hose inside wooden supports. Had various degrees of success, but even with commercial items it takes a few days of practice to become proficient before I can claim regular success.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi Tom, any chance of getting the further reading you mentioned earlier.

Hi Ogri,

if you send me an E-mail at t.lourensXsanquin.nl (replace the X with an @) I will mail you some information on fire pistons including "The Firepiston" (Smithsonian report 1907) by Henry Balfour.

Needless to say that this offer is for anyone else interested as well

Cheers,

Tom

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Cheers.

Heres a clear plastic one so you can see whats happening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Win_t0xtcQs

or using
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3OU7ib1NSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNO6Jtcg_B0&feature=related

J. Falk's Fire Piston Tips & Tricks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EnhgRUgdl8&feature=related

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE