GAAAAAH!!!! Gleg (horsefly) bite woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Biten on the back of the hand a few days ago, its swelled up a bit, I can live with that happens every time I get bitten by one of the wee Blighters, but the itch is driving me demented and I have no antihistamine in the house and the Chemists are all closed.

HELP ME!!!

Andy (going quietly insane)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
If it's weeping from scratching too much, dampen the area and add table salt (my granny always had some in her handbag) other than that try an ice pack!

Hope you feel better - I react to them like I don't know what!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The vinegar should negate any nasties and the ice should cool and reduce any swelling along with numbing thereby reducing the itch. Then dry off and cover with a plaster.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Don't scratch (just makes it worse)
Take a hot sauna
Drink something over 35 proof.

No joke, it works for me. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Plantain leaves is allways a winner for my mozzie bites and easy to find. I get a good handfull of leaves scrunch and squash them up they apply. Giving the leaves a good rinse before hand especially if you the bite is now open.
Failing that i would also go for the 35+ proof anything ;)

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I would recommend an anti venom pump. They don't cost much and are more useful than most would believe. They are really effective if you use them straight after a bite. They suck all the nasties out, along with some plasma, and then you just treat with ordinary antiseptic of topic antibiotic cream. You will be amazed how quickly insect stings and mosi bites will heal after using one of these. You can get one from Boots or most large chemists.

By the way, they also work for snake bites, not a real problem in the UK unless you've had several pints of the stuff.
:lmao:

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I would recommend an anti venom pump. They don't cost much and are more useful than most would believe. They are really effective if you use them straight after a bite. They suck all the nasties out, along with some plasma, and then you just treat with ordinary antiseptic of topic antibiotic cream. You will be amazed how quickly insect stings and mosi bites will heal after using one of these. You can get one from Boots or most large chemists.

By the way, they also work for snake bites, not a real problem in the UK unless you've had several pints of the stuff.
:lmao:
Doe's It work on midge bites as they hammer me?

Bernie

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Bernie, four pints of snake bite and the midges wont bother you, though you'll look and feel like you've been ten rounds with mike tyson in the morning.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE