Futurproofing your house

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Not a criticism, just an observation:-

You have obviously drawn out a clear picture of the sort of future that you are looking to.
How certain are you of your investment?

There are other futures.
It all depends on whether tmyou follow the science or not. Other futures? The climate is changing right now as we speak the chemistry of the atmosphere. Is different now to what it was 5 years ago.

I regularly speak with wome of the world's leading climate scientists at least twice a month. What other realities are you alluding to?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Not other realities.
There are other ways of preparing to meet an highly unpredictable future reality.
How willing shall we be to share housing.
How prepared are communities to cooperate in energy efficient group projects and activities.
How ready are we for community life?
I’m not suggesting that my ideas are any more appropriate than yours. They are just illustrating another way of preparing for a future that we cannot yet describe.

What certainly will not work is isolating ourselves and pulling up the drawbridge.
This is not an interpretation of your post. It’s just an observation about some apparent preparations for some people’s assessment of just one of many future scenarios.

And since we are flying credential banners, I contribute to the New Scientist Magazine.

Reactions: Toddy

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Not other realities.
There are other ways of preparing to meet an highly unpredictable future reality.
How willing shall we be to share housing.
How prepared are communities to cooperate in energy efficient group projects and activities.
How ready are we for community life?
I’m not suggesting that my ideas are any more appropriate than yours. They are just illustrating another way of preparing for a future that we cannot yet describe.

What certainly will not work is isolating ourselves and pulling up the drawbridge.
This is not an interpretation of your post. It’s just an observation about some apparent preparations for some people’s assessment of just one of many future scenarios.

And since we are flying credential banners, I contribute to the New Scientist Magazine.

Interesting questions, I have lived in communes. It's true we can't isolate and pull up the ladder.

The answers are in how we explore surviving within our localities.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I saw a video, I've not verified its "facts" at all, so I'm happy to be corrected... it was an aussie guy talking about CO2 which is the big issue we all have been told to fight... he said something along the lines of Aus produces X million tons of CO2 a year, but average trees absorb X amount of CO2 annually and Aus has so many of the average trees that it already covers its output before even taking into consideration mangroves which take in double....

Now, I also am aware of lobbing manufacturing overseas to reduce ones own nations CO2.. but I'd be interesting in doing some more digging on this..

...maybe future proofing could be more trees?

Reactions: ManFriday4

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
I saw a video, I've not verified its "facts" at all, so I'm happy to be corrected... it was an aussie guy talking about CO2 which is the big issue we all have been told to fight... he said something along the lines of Aus produces X million tons of CO2 a year, but average trees absorb X amount of CO2 annually and Aus has so many of the average trees that it already covers its output before even taking into consideration mangroves which take in double....

Now, I also am aware of lobbing manufacturing overseas to reduce ones own nations CO2.. but I'd be interesting in doing some more digging on this..

The science, physics and math, does not agree that the carbon cycle can absorb additional geologic CO2 Coal & oil released from burning fossil hydrocarbons.

I don't want to sound patronising, but the science is complex & it's impacts are too. I have had other people tell me I'm too complicated and they don't want to talk to me & long explanations turn people off & I must be mentally ill to believe in the science. (This has caused people to have to apologise for their behaviour.

So I shall try to put it as simply as possible:

We made a big dirty machine that made a very big mess and most of the mess is invisible. In the process of building that machine we cut most of the planets trees down to initially fuel the machine, killed most of what was left of the mega fauna (whales). Now we want nature to cleqn up the mess and to build new machines to clean up the mess..- it's a physics impossibility. There are Gigatons of human released CO2 in the atmosphere. The current heatwave in England, Europe, Russia, North America, Canada & the Bushfires in Russia & Canada, the fact that the sea surface temp in the Carribean is as hot as a bath 34°C are all indicators that we have crossed tipping points.

BTW, even though we have to consume and take part of this mess, you and I are not responsible for it.

I watch videos on YouTube too from known climate scientsts, who are talking science, not some vague bloke who talks about average trees.

Trees do store carbon. But consider that an oak at 200-300 years is mature.. to soak up the CO2 we need the Carboniferous forests that covered the planet in the Carboniferous period suckingbout the excess CO2 and it eventually became coal & oil along with millions of years of animals and plants & sedimentation, heat & pressure.

If you want real science on climate change on YouTube.

Paul Beckwith
Dr Peter Carter MD
Climate Emergency Forum
Just Collapse
Collapse chronicles

Not on youtube but pubishing papers and other scuentists refer to him. Dr James E Hansen

Guy McPhearson
Jem Bendell on sound cloud talking about his new book on Soundcloud- Breaking Together..
These are by no means a comprehensive list.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor

There is only one problem with this thinking.
The calculations are based on established and mature trees.
How many of those can you add to the system?
How many whips, which are the standard replanting equal one mature tree?
Do we have 20 or 30 years left for these trees to mature enough to make a real difference and start cleaning up the carbon before they are either burned to a crisp or die from drought.?
How many trees were burnt and destroyed in the Canadian wild fires this year alone? All that carbon has been released into the atmosphere, and there are millions less trees to scrubb the air for us.

Solution in the early stages..ie, 40 yrs ago. Now......?
Forlorn hope I'm afraid. It's a tough face up to.

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
If we had started reducing oil consumption and switching to a zero emissions culture in the 1970s then we might have had a chance of stopping abrupt and irreversible climate change.

But the oil companies didn't want us to, & it was all about making money.

We will soon discover that the North American first people said "when all the seas are empty of fish and there is no food, we cannot eat money".

@Woody girl you can lead a horse to water, but if they refuse to drink its worth seeing if they have rabies. Climate anxiety may be a mental illness, but unlike climate denial it does not involve delusion & delusions are a far more serious disorder because they distort reality.

Reactions: Woody girl

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Woody girl you can lead a horse to water, but if they refuse to drink its worth seeing if they have rabies. Climate anxiety may be a mental illness, but unlike climate denial it does not involve delusion & delusions are a far more serious disorder because they distort reality.

I'm sorry MF and WG but just because people do not see the world exactly as you do, does not mean they are ignorant, unintelligent, or even climate deniers. Stop hitting out at others that don't agree with you and you may start discussing some common ground and even start winning some people over - but, I say again, this is not a pulpit!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The public are not interested.
They will be,....when it's far too late, but hey, why worry, let's just keep on keeping on and not bother, and when your home burns down, or there is no water in the taps, let's blame the politicians. After all, it's nothing we've done, we were just living a normal life.
Sorry tengu, I'm not getting at you or anyone else, just don't understand why people just don't care about their and loved ones future, and the future of others in far worse situation than ourselves that are actualy experiencing the drastic effects of lakes and rivers drying up, fires devastating forests and homes, people dying daily.
I just cannot be so hard hearted.
I'm a big softie realy, today in the charity shop, a lady was struggling to find the last pound in change from her purse, to buy a much needed pair of shoes. I paid the pound happily for her. She was realy struggling , trying to find those last few pennies.
I can't happily watch people struggle.
I don't like to preach, but if you don't speak up when things aren't right, you are part of the problem.
Put me and others down all you like, if you don't want to have this conversation stop engaging in this thread, and leave it for those that do wish to talk about it, instead of trying to belittle and tell us we are preaching, conspiracy theorists, have mental health problems, or any of the negative things that have been thrown at us.
Simples
All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing when they see a wrong.
I'd add,
But if you do, expect to be trashed !
Just look at the guy who was an estate agent, turned citizen journalist trying to make sense of the maui fire. He was attacked so badly online that, he... and his son, both lost their jobs.
Thinking intelligently and asking pertinent questions that might go against, or call into question the "official narrative" isn't allowed.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... I'm not the one insulting people for their opinions. In fact, I doubt you've even got a glimpse of what I actually believe about the global situation. But just repeating how everyone else is wrong and guilty for not expressing the same views as yours with reams of repeated statements is not winning the debate IMO.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Never accused you of insulting others opinions brock, nor do I simply repeat that everyone else is wrong and I'm right.
I don't think I should change my opinion to someone else's just because it would be hurting their poor little feelings to disagree, nor do I (from long experience) expect them to do the same for me.
BUT, I do have my own opinion, and that is that. If it can be PROVED to be wrong, beyond doubt, then I'll happily change my mind.
So far, the attitude taken TOWARDS those who are trying to warn of drastic consequences if we do not change our ways , (which has been the way for many decades,) hasn't proved a thing to me, or changed my mind,In fact it has only entrenched MY views, so accusing this side of the fence of doing that is a bit rich, in fact I think it's called gaslighting...(I'm not realy very up to date on modern lingo)
It's all getting very complicated, and maybe I'm not expressing myself too well, but it feels like wading through treacle, while many tell me I'm imagining the treacle. Meanwhile, they just sit in the sticky stuff quite happy, believing its normal, while I'm watching it rise higher and higher. Bit of a silly analogy perhaps, but I'm finding it too hot to realy gather my thoughts and express them in a scientificly acceptable way.
My whole body and soul just "see" it. And I won't say I can't see it, just to keep others happy who don't, won't, or refuse to see.
I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong by the way, and go back to a heavy carbon footprint, but I'm doing all I can to make mine as small as possible, and consume as little as possible, which can do no harm anyway.
If someone wishes to engage with my reality, that's fine, if someone wishes to trash it, and throw insults as has happened here, while telling me I won't listen to them... all I can say, is

kettle, pot, black.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Woody girl
Well, regardless of whether the individual in the video was globally correct or not, he actually stated mature trees in his point.

Anyway...

With regards to futureproofing, prepping, lunacy or smart-acy o_O :confused: , whatever you want to call it. I'd suggest the main thing one could do is organise how one is going to get/store/keep/purify water... Stockpiling 10,000 ready meals, tins of beans, or garden seeds will not help one iota if there is any issues in the world or life, nor will having photovotaic cells or solar cells...

Mankind (and wimminz too..) has already established that we can survive ice ages, and all that jazz without any sort of laptop or running hot tap, we've even staved off famine for times, what we cannot do, however, is survive without water. So perhaps numero uno is clean water system..... or the knowabouts of a neighbour who has one, given how divisive we all are, might as well find a good clonking stick and fit a decent anti-clonking stick lock on your doors and windows too...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
@Woody girl
Well, regardless of whether the individual in the video was globally correct or not, he actually stated mature trees in his point.

Anyway...

With regards to futureproofing, prepping, lunacy or smart-acy o_O :confused: , whatever you want to call it. I'd suggest the main thing one could do is organise how one is going to get/store/keep/purify water... Stockpiling 10,000 ready meals, tins of beans, or garden seeds will not help one iota if there is any issues in the world or life, nor will having photovotaic cells or solar cells...

Mankind (and wimminz too..) has already established that we can survive ice ages, and all that jazz without any sort of laptop or running hot tap, we've even staved off famine for times, what we cannot do, however, is survive without water. So perhaps numero uno is clean water system..... or the knowabouts of a neighbour who has one, given how divisive we all are, might as well find a good clonking stick and fit a decent anti-clonking stick lock on your doors and windows too...
Well, that will help with surviving the first 3 weeks anyway! :)
Yes water is important, and should be your first go to, if you are trying to mitigate things that might (will) happen in the future.
I have two water purifiers, one is a sawyer mini, I forget which make my other is, but it will cope with larger needs. I have also mapped any water sources in my area. First choice is smaller springs, but they could dry up first. I'm lucky to have two large rivers nearby, so that is my secondary go to. After that, it's anybodies guess.
I have some water stored for washing and hygiene needs.
I notice Anglican water have a boil water advisory out today for drinking water.
Just like to point out, not everyone survived the famines, dead bodies littered roads where the poor and starving tried to find food. Water isn't much help after a certain amount of time. Otherwise those alone contestants would not be tapping out with skeletal bodies like woniya had to, after a month or so.
Food is essential too.
A friend of mine has been quietly struggling without food for a long time, she ended up in hospital with severe vitamin deficiency, hardly able to walk or talk.
She wouldn't admit she was in trouble, even to her friends, and cut off all contact, rather than admit she was in severe trouble. Needless to say, she is now being looked after by friends who no longer take ... no thanks, I'm fine .... for an answer.!
I feed myself from my veg garden, throughout most of the summer and part of the winter, though I'm aware things that worked well for years are having some problems . So we do need to think about drought resistant crops, rather than traditional foodstuffs for the future.
If you can't water your veg garden because your water butts are empty, and thete is a hosepipe ban......

Ps, I have a lovely clonking stick, you wouldn't want to argue with the metal bit on the end!

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Amen to that. ;)

If anything, with all the negative posts, the conclusion seems to be why do anything as we're all doomed. Might as well buy that gas guzzler and drive off into the rather splendid sunset.
Hmm yes negative posts. The negative reactions have been aimed at me & WG primarily, I think this might possibly the 1st time I have insulted anyone here, apart from referring to ssome people as uncooth.. 2 suggestions i am mentally ill.. But once again I am the target of Forum seniors telling me to calm down and not insult people.
@Woody girl

Anyway...

Purifying water at scale is actually relatively easy. This summer I ran a short BC course & we looked at alternatives to expensive water filters and very turbid river water (sewage and farm slurry as possible contaminants as well as clay particles in suspension) so the Puribag is an system limited but limited by volume.. the challeng wass can we supply drinking water to 10 people /day = 2litrs/day per person = 200 litres.

The water was cloudy.

The particles suspended in water which defy gravity are known as colloids & gravity has no action on them. To change the water so that it no longer supports the colloids you need a flocculant. The P& G sachets are good for 10 liters per sachet. There are alternatives.

Potassium Alum or Phitkari (often spelled differently) is a flocculant, low cost and readily vailable from asian supermarkets. Potassium Alum KAl(SO₄)₂·12H₂O
The powder form is what you want, stirred into the water at 2 tsp/4.5 litres (Gallon) of water. Dissolve it in a cup of warm water & stir it into the larger volume of water. Flocculation will occur over about 3 hours taking the particulate down to the bottom of the barrel/ bucket. You could then add Chlorine or iodine to the water, boil it and pass it through carbon.

Phiktari christals usually large can also be used as a deodorant and anti septic.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If anything, with all the negative posts, the conclusion seems to be why do anything as we're all doomed. Might as well buy that gas guzzler and drive off into the rather splendid sunset.
That attitude is not negative in itself it's only logical. :cool: If I can't affect something at all why should I still do anything about it?

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
That attitude is not negative in itself it's only logical. :cool: If I can't affect something at all why should I still do anything about it?
At no point have I said you should do anything about it apart from understand the risks you are looking at & therefore what you might need to know do to cope, or possibly survive?

I don't know if @Woody girl thinks we should be protesting, but at no point have I said we should be trying to stop the unstoppable. Having questioned why people here think that's what I'm doing? The response is that social media is a very judgemental place.

To be clear I am interested in how we survive severe heat, severe storms, flooding, increased risk of tsunami caused by cleaving glaciers from Antarctica & Greenland and rising sea levels. I do see that a lot of this has already been discussed and I see lots of opinions but next to no fact supported ones.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
AI do see that a lot of this has already been discussed and I see lots of opinions but next to no fact supported ones.
Opinions are like your lowest placed rear facing orifice - everybody has one.

Except you don't like to accept or consider other peoples opinions if they differ from your own mindset and have continually preached to the good folk on this forum at nearly every opportunity you can, alienating most of them in the process, so any chance you had of a decent debate, has now drifted away in the warm winds of climate change.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
To be honest , protesting is mostly futile. So is trying to have a decent conversation about the problem we have all, myself included , made for ourselves.
I can't do anything about the past, and my efforts to convince others seem to have been mostly futile, resulting in gaslighting and negativity.
Tengu is right, most people are not interested. Life is either ticking along nicely thank you, or people are too busy working to put food on the table and pay their bills to consider that there are huge problems that should have been tackled years ago, and now it's pretty much too late.
The school concrete scenario being a typical symptom of this sort of short sighted thinking. It's only when it gets serious that anyone realy even bothers to start wondering what can be done. One school collapsing wasn't enough to sound the siren and get busy sorting the problem. Why now? I can only imagine that the magnitude of serious faults have been at last recognised, and realisation that allowing children to be killed or injured would totaly kak up the ruling party for evermore if it got out....which it already has, that those in charge had known for a long time about it but done nothing.. no futureproofing there at all!
It's last minute firefighting all the time nowadays.
Anyway, back to futureproofing a home.
I'm interested in what others consider is important.
One thing I'm facing is no buses after march 2024. Nearest town, hospital, and shopping centre is 20 miles away.
I can't afford an electric car, I can't cycle 40 miles with or without shopping. Even an electric one would struggle at that distance.
I presently just shop localy and order a few items a week on my friends tesco shop that I can't find here in town.
But what if I need to travel somewhere else, or want a weekend away ?

Solutions on a postcard please. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE