Fungi ident help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Evening all

Stumbled across the following today whilst out for a stroll.

fungi.jpg

I've never been very good at identifying mushrooms and fungi...anyone able to help me out?

Cheers

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
I thought that to begin with Pandabean, but like you say I'm not certain considering how many there are all in one place. Having had a little look in a book borrowed off my mum I think it might be old beefsteak fungus?

Still not sure though!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Would it be some weathered Horsehoof fungus by any chance? But I thought they would have appeared singily rather than in a group as in your pic.

ps don't take my word for it, I'm still learning too :D

Definately not a hoof fungus.

It is hard to say from that photo. If the fungus is hard (like wood, or close) then it is probably some sort of Ganoderma. But I think it is softer and I suspect it is an old, discoloured Giant Polypore (Meripilus gianteus)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I thought that to begin with Pandabean, but like you say I'm not certain considering how many there are all in one place. Having had a little look in a book borrowed off my mum I think it might be old beefsteak fungus?

Still not sure though!

Nope. Beefsteak fungus does not appear in great cascades like this. Usually just one bracket.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Thanks for the replies. Stupidly I didn't think to test the frimness or note down the species of tree it was on. Will have to take another stroll and get some more information on it.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
You got us puzzled now Deck ;)

Take some more piccies too, close-ups and underneath one if you can.
I would also go with a bracket type, but most are lighter on the margin, not darker. So any further info would be helpful

Cheers
Ness :)

Yeh there is a problem with the board, already posted in the bugs forum about it.

My book says the Giant Polypore usually grows near the base of the tree or close to the ground on roots. The original photo looks like it is a few feet off the ground.

I did have a photo of something similar to the first post but I cannot seem to find it, but I was convinced at the time it was a rotten horsehoof fungus. I am pretty sure it was on its own rather than a group.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yeh there is a problem with the board, already posted in the bugs forum about it.

My book says the Giant Polypore usually grows near the base of the tree or close to the ground on roots. The original photo looks like it is a few feet off the ground.

Often it is near the base, but quite frequently it grows all over the trunk. There is a reason it is called "giant."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE