Fungi ID

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I found this growing on a pollarded willow tree by the river, I've had a look through my fungi book but cant see anything that looks like it. It's rock hard and quite heavy, the underside smells strongly of mushroom and the wood on the back has a white mold on it.

Front.

Side.

Other side.

The wood on the back.

Any ideas what it is and can it be used for anything?

Thanks in advance.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am really certian that you have a good tinder fungus there. On account of the size I would say it wasn't a fomes fomentarius but a fomitopsis pinicola. With fomitopsis pinicola the resinious layer on the top of the fungus should melt when held to naked flame. This resin may have firecraft properties.

There is quite a few hard polypores that form coals or hold embers. I am really very bad at firecraft, and I dont trust my own experiance in what burns well when I stuggle to start a fire with tampax and dry wood. From what I have read on this site it is by far the best to remove the pore layer before the fungus dries out. I have three fomitopsis(?) which were dry when I picked them and I have to chip lumps off with chisel. They do dry to impossibly hard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE