Full tang stainless steel kinfe wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madra rua

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 20, 2004
Ireland
Hello,

I need/want a new knife with some simple requirements. I have used a Helle folkekniven for over two years and was happy enough with it until the stick tang broke while I was trying to split some kindling with it. Perhaps I was using too much force and any knife would have broken in the same situation, but know I want a knife with a full tang for added strength. I'm now using a stainless steel Mora which is a fine working knife but not very easy on the eye with its blue handle. I want to buy a reasonably price full tang stainless steel knife with an attractive wooden handle and leather sheath. I really like the simple and functional look of the Woodlore knife or the Stuart Marsh knife but both are a way over of my budget. Surely there must be some company who produces a full tang stainless steel knife with close to the same specifications of the Woodlore or the Stuart Marsh knife at a more affordable price but I'm having a hard job trying to find one. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :) .
Cheers,
Fint.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
personally I would get a carbon steel blade if you want a knife that wont break!

Because a stainless blade in your price range wont be all that tough

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Why don't you buy a stainless blade blank and handle it yourself?

Something like this maybe:

DSCF0705.jpg

Its a Frosts Laplander 115 blade.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a really ummm! good ummm! Strong (definately)! handy ummm! British army survival knife for swaps.......Forgot to mention full tang!!!:)

M

mikehill

Yep F1 ;) £55 for the great blank, £15 for wood and £3 for some corby bolts and you have a knife worth £120 ish and the pride of making it yourself :) If you need bolts and lanyard tubing give me a shout and I'll sort some free ;)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey fella,

if your interested, i've got a brand spanking new EKA Nordic W11 that ticks all your box's. Full tang, stainless, Bubinga Handle, sexy leather sheath. It's still in it's box and comes with a10 year manufacturers guarentee!

£55 + shipping to Ireland Pay by Paypal if you like. Go to Hiennie Hayes for full spec and pic's (mines over £10 cheaper than theirs)

Drop me a line at spencer.locker@btinternet.com if your interested! ;)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Well, you might consider something in D2 tool steel, which is very stain resistant, almost like stainless. D2 steel is one of the toughest knife blades you can get.

The image below is of the TAK-1 made by Ontario. It's got a rep for being a pretty tough knife. It comes in 1095 and D2, but the D2 is what I'd get. It was designed in conjunction with Randall's Adventure & Training which runs a jungle survival school down in Peru. The TAK-1 D2 runs about US$85 or so.

Helle makes a pretty knife that looks good and it probably cuts good too, but I'd be willing to bet that that the TAK-1 is exponentially tougher. D2 also will take a really good edge and it will hold it through a lot of use and abuse.

Here's a link to a review of the TAK-1 D2.
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=203

TAK-1 D2 Steel

D2 Steel
Textured Powder Coated Blade
4.25" cutting edge length with drop point
10" overall length
Blade .1875" (3/16") thick
Black Linen Micarta Handle
Ambidextrous Cordura® nylon sheath with lashing holes for attachment or paracord storage

http://www.jungletraining.com/
http://www.ontariorat.com/tak.htm

TAK-D2---No-Background--Non.jpg

TAK2.jpg

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey chopper,

maybe, but i'm not advertising the EKA generally, i just saw the thread and thought i'd offer it to him, not asking for offers or sales, just out of the kindness of my heart and the fact that it's ticking his box's and my Mrs thinks that i have too many knives as it is.

If he doesnt want it then i'll keep it and probably sell my others in the classifieds! :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE