Full Tang in Nalgene Bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thank you very much!

That is really informative!

So, if we want to get a plug and play standard solution we have to look at the smaller ones or take the Klean Kanteen.

But I really like the deep notch at the Nalgene!
It would be possible to attach a wire around the neck of the Klean Kanteen, that holds two rings where I could hook in a thin stainless steel rope to hang the bottle over a fire.

But the Nalgene bottle offers with the deep notch around the neck of course the nicer solution.
It's already better thought through.

Do the openings of both bottles have the same diameter?
You could put a wire around the Klean kanteen bottle, but you would need some tension on it to trust it in use. I thought about the same thing, and decided to get the Stainless Nalgene, for that purpose.

I personally like both, the Klean kanteen holds more, is cheaper and to be honest very good.

The Nalgene has better steel 18/10, has a cast look to the thread rather than pressed like the Klean kanteen and is safer for your intended use.

I would go smaller knife wise, plus you can get more in it then.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, that's also my thought.

The straight Nalgene stainless steel version is simply the best designed 1 litre wide mouth steel bottle on the market.

That's simply a superior design.

Kleen Kanteen Reflect 27 oz / 800ml with full metal closure is the winner of the tall bottle competition, but the fat boy competition is gained by Nalgene without any doubt.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Just a thought, if this is for a survival bottle why not a smaller knife and a saw blade?

Would it be possible to coil a saw blade to fit in?
Or a wire ‘commando’ saw (which should be used tensioned straight not rolled round the branching that makes sense?)

I might try a technical exercise at the weekend and see what I can get into the smallest container I have

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If possible I will integrate a poncho.
Should this be possible, the bottle is full.

A wire saw would perhaps fit additional but are they usefull?

Mors Kochanski mentioned in a video the idea to put a saw blade into a belt.
This seems to me a good idea.

Reactions: MrEd

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think here somebody made belts with a space for saw blade - 40 years ago and I think at time there were US adds for similar belts.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I opened an own thread for the saw-belt:

Reactions: MrEd

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Maybe a fretsaw blade? More aggressive cut than a junior hacksaw. You'd just need to be more selective with what you cut.

Saw blade in a belt? I'd like to see how this unfolds. My starting point is that it would be uncomfortable and rapidly eat your belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's the question!

Nowadays a lot of new materials are developed. I think it is possible to make a perfect piece but the idea is relatively unknown and the market is too small.

Who really needs it?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think the modern folding saws have taken the role, few people actually make log fires for the night anymore (or build anything substantial) where the longer blade would have an advantage.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As everybody knows very well, I love Off Thread posts.
But I think we should stay here with the bottle kit and in the other thread with the belt saw.

A wire saw would belong here, but I doubt that they are really usefull.

Did anybody try out such a hand chain saw? That could be an option for the bottle kit.

(I noticed that the man in the last picture has two right hands!
Is that the reason why Finnish people are so skillful?)

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
has two right hands
Nah, just a middle hand, useful at times.

Actually that pic is funny, it looks like he has his right hand on the left side of the tree meaning he would work hands crossed. I have never used one but have been told it works, really works but using it is heavy work.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
As everybody knows very well, I love Off Thread posts.
But I think we should stay here with the bottle kit and in the other thread with the belt saw.

A wire saw would belong here, but I doubt that they are really usefull.

Did anybody try out such a hand chain saw? That could be an option for the bottle kit.

(I noticed that the man in the last picture has two right hands!
Is that the reason why Finnish people are so skillful?)

i have yes, not the chainsaw type ones but the wire type ones and they are ‘okay’ for smaller stuff if you take you time and have them stretched straight using a stick similar to a bow saw rather than using them with your hands.

okay for getting wood to make a fire but not man enough imo for shelter building etc

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Not yet, because I currently have to count my buttons due to the Corona Virus crises in the concert business. And on top of It I am currently seperated from the items that I already own and want to put into it, because I left them in our office in Cologne but am currently in a village next to Berlin, where I am training my brother's ducks and chickens in survival techniques and polishing my historic military garbage.

As soon as I can manage to get the bottle content together, I will inform here the forum and the surely interested rest of the world if I was successful with the project.

The survival situation on my brother's farm is so complicated anyway, that such a bottle wouldn't be enough of stuff, and so I am glad that I stored in my sheds in Berlin more military equipment than the Army of Luxembourg.

:)

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
If the plan is to walk out in three days at the suggested distance my packlista would be:
*waterpurification-tablets
*so much suger that fits
*a plastic water container around one liter (plastic bag kind of type).
*5-ish metatablets
*A smal victorinox.
*A metal mugg that fits on the outsider of the steel bottle or rather plastic bottle to maybe save some weight.
*A emergency blanket and some lines wraped around the kit.
*Firesteel/rod

Why?
*Because most people need att least 200 g carbs a day to have a chance to walk that distance and it will still be very hard going.
*Most also need 3 to 4 liters of water even if its not that warm.
*If one need to light a fire some shavings and a metatablets will give a good start without needing to spliting wood to find the dry middle. Next fire one have dry wood saved from the first one.
*The mugg for boiling and drinking water. *A meta tablett makes a faster way to boil a mugg of water when moving.
*Walking that far doesn't give much time or energi to clean the amount if water needed with boiling. When filling up both watercontainers pop a tablett in each and keep walking.

If I would need to chose a fixed blade I would consider the weight and volym of it before if its a fulltang; sticktang or rat tang.

But everyones milage varies.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you have so few stuff to carry you also can take a Moraknive Garberg or whatever. That's surely better than to risk to break a stick tang.

The idea with the sugar seems pretty good to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE