Full kit lists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hello All,

First time posting so bare with me!

I've been camping & sort of bushcrafting for many years and its just as we're expecting our first baby, I've decided to make it my main hobby for the future. To help raise money for the baby I'm currently selling all my possessions although I've been allowed (!) to respend some of the funds on kitting myself out for my bushcraft needs in the future.
I generally like to buy quality kit that won't need replacing if looked after properly and this is where I hope you guys will come in!
I wonder if people could list bushcraft essential/luxury items I will be needing when I eventually get the chance to get out, or perhaps even their full kit lists so I can get some idea of what I will need (I'm sure you'll enjoy that one!)
I've just sold the xbox and brought a Stewart Marsh RWL/34 Woodlore clone (amazing) so I'm ok for a knife as I'm sure you will agree buying a knife first was absolutely essential!

I've just moved to Leeds and would be intersted in meeting up with other local bushcrafters in the future and currently looking to secure use of 40 acres of private woodland in Lincolnshire for our bushcraft needs!

Regards,

Nicolas

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Spring/Summer Kit List

60 ltr rucksack

Group buy Hammock
3 x 3 Tarp
Mozzie net
Karabiners and straps
Underblanket
Sleeping bag (3 season)
Wool Blanket (Extra insulation)
Wool Hat (for sleeping in)

Spare Clothing

Lightweights
Merino Base layers
Wool socks
Shorts
Wool Jersey

Poncho (instead of Waterproofs)
Gaitors
Folding Chair (Not essential, but nice to have)
Axe
Saw
Knife
FAK

Chuck Box

Small Kettle
Small Billy
Small Skillet
Plate
Mug
KFS
Grill (cheap cake cooling rack)
Water Bottles
Lantern & Fuel
Sundry bag (brew kit, etc)

Head torch
Notebook & pencil

Wash kit
Folding bowl
Bandana (doubles as a towel)
TP Bag (contains toilet paper, wet wipes liquid bio-degradeable soap and hand sanitizer spray)
Pan Scrubber

Paracord
Sewing Kit
Strop & Paste

Cool box/bag.

That would be for a weekend away, in good weather and static. In autumn/winter a whole lot more kit goes out with me to weekend meets, but that's a whole different list.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It depends when you'll be out and where.

An axe can be a good investment, I quite like the GB scandinavian forest axe, although the handle is a little short in my opinion. If I had more money, I think I'd get their american felling axe, although I think people who don't use axes much like smaller axes.

Sharpening stuff also, for maybe a fiver, or waterstones for more than that.

A tarp as well, a carry mat, and a sleeping bag. A tent perhaps.

A couple of pans, or you can use tinned food which cooks in the can. A pot holder too or a multi tool. I have a leatherman wave that's been used a little that I can sell you for £35 if you want.

A firesteel, and windproof matches for emergencies. Some clothes suitable for your enviroment. Boots probably.

Midge repelant, skin so soft is good.

As you get better, you can take less and less kit. It's not hard to make things like chairs and stuff, and it's more fun.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I think what you want is at least partly on this thread at SOTP

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2785

This is a list of the kit that people would replace with exactly the same thing, if they needed to buy again.

So I think it will fit in with your question about what is the best choice of good quality kit so that once bought you won't feel the need to replace it with something better.

For me it would be my Tilley Hat, and probably my Nallo tent.

Graham

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you have a knife,
you have the essentials covered! The rest is covered by knowledge and luxury items - and believe me, I have my share of luxuries.
It'll be a very emotive subject because as your skills and ability increase, so your idea of good kit will change. Get along to some of the meet-ups, and chat to those who have kit that you are thinking of getting, to see if it suits you.

ATB and welcome aboard

Ogri the trog

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the only things i would say are essesntual are..

knife - most inportant, you can do prety much anything with just this one tool alone (but we are not all that good:rolleyes:)

firesteel - couldn't live without lol

tarp with guy lines attached

sleeping bag

role mat - but you could easyly improvise a bed from grass, bracken etc.

bivi bag - not essentual but it is very luxury with a tarp but can also be used without a tarp

something to cook in - billy cans etc

water bottle

mug - i recoment a sainless steel one so u can use it to make a brew in over fires

backpack to keep it all in

windproof jacket

boots

we all have out 'less essentual items' but i find the less you use them the better time you have lol

pete

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Thanks for all the tips!
Best get saving my money - I think I'll try and get bits and bobs as I go along.
I don't think I'll be getting out must this summer anyway unless the baby needs a willow cot making!

Nicolas

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I'm not a 'kit junkie' in any sense of the word and prefer using cheap, reliable items - home made if possible - so my list may not be what you're after. Saying that, it may give you a different perspective on kit.
These are my basics, which I think are pretty essential.

Tarp/tent - if you intend on staying out overnight. I paid £35 for the military issue tarp and almost immediately wished I hadn't. The military issue poncho does just as good a job but for a quarter of the price. Decathlon do a good 3mx3m tarp too for about £20.

Sleeping bag and mat - again, if you're camping out. I use a Nanok -10 which is plenty warm enough and didn't break the bank. You could always just use a couple of wool blankets.

A rucksack or pack of some sort - you won't need anything expensive or built for Special Forces just for overnight camping.

Good quality knife (you appear to have that one sorted ;) ) Just make sure you can keep it sharp and in good nick. I use a £10 Mora (good quality isn't necessarily synonymous with expensive)

Portable folding saw - others may disagree here but I think it's absolutely essential if you end up doing anything at all with green wood (you invariably will). Using a saw is the safest and least harmful way of gathering the green sticks you need. And when I say 'safest and least harmful' I mean for the tree :D . I use a Bahco Laplander, as do many others. I wouldn't play it cheap here - I've used some terrible folding saws before and the Laplander is about the only one I'd recommend. Perhaps the Pocketboy130(?) but I don't have a good deal of experiance with that tool.

Billy can or similar. You only need one really and it doesn't have to be huge. I use a small coffee tin from Wilko's (£2) with a coat hanger-handle.

Water bottle x 2. I use the plastic military ones, as do many others. They're very good, you can get them from loads of places, and they're cheap too! Alternatively you can just use an old coke bottle or two, although they're not very robust.

Spoon. Try making one, you'll get hooked :)

Mug - a stainless one from a camping shop is fine. Or if you want to be properly cheap you can lash a split-stick to an empty bean can (I don't do that ;) ).

Axe - unfortunately there aren't many 'cheap but good' axes out there. You could always buy a cheap one and make it good but, believe me, it's hard work :(

Fire steel - or 'ferrocerium rod' or 'spark stick' or whatever we're calling it this week. Get one and learn how best to use it and you'll never take matches again! Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but if I'm only taking one source of fire it's this. Wet won't kill it and you won't find it suddenly and inexplicably failing to work.

There. That might look like a lot but that's only 11 things. Everything else I would say was a luxury. That's not to say I don't take everything else with me :eek: but you can stay out overnight witht these few basics and be comfortable. And you don't need a bank balance longer than your phone number to afford it all.

Cheers :)

I'm sure I've forgotten something. You know when you get that feeling?

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
In my experience there is always a cheap/good quality option, usually ex-army or keep an eye out in the classified ads and if you keep it in good condition you wont loose much money when you sell it. My favorite website at the moment is www.endicotts.co.uk well worth a look and there is a great deal on hammocks and tarps in the group buy forum you might want to consider http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29812

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Frankly, too many people focus more on kit than being "out and doing".

You need - something to sleep on, in and under (bag, mat to insulate you from the ground and something to keep the rain off). A first aid kit is wise. A map and compass is essential. A decent pair of boots and a rainproof jacket. Some scoff, a way to heat it (kitchen pan, and a hexy stove for £2) and make a brew, a swiss army knife. A way to carry and purify water (two pop bottles and a strip of puritabs) and a bag to carry it all in and you are good to go.

Don't waste loads of money on gear. Get a closed cell roll mat, a £20 sleeping bag and a poncho to sleep under. A cheap Silva compass and the local 1:50,000 map. A few packs of noodles, a couple of tins and some sarnies. Nick a small saucepan from the kitchen and buy a cheap stove. A really basic surplus rucksack and just get out and do it. Its spring. In the UK, at this time of year, you don't need an artic bag and a set of merino wool thermals. If you find you want a bigger tarp or a bivi bag or whatever, then add to your kit after your trip - when experience tells you which bit of kit you need the most.

Red

Frankly, too many people focus more on kit than being "out and doing".

You need - something to sleep on, in and under (bag, mat to insulate you from the ground and something to keep the rain off). A first aid kit is wise. A map and compass is essential. A decent pair of boots and a rainproof jacket. Some scoff, a way to heat it (kitchen pan, and a hexy stove for £2) and make a brew, a swiss army knife. A way to carry and purify water (two pop bottles and a strip of puritabs) and a bag to carry it all in and you are good to go.

Don't waste loads of money on gear. Get a closed cell roll mat, a £20 sleeping bag and a poncho to sleep under. A cheap Silva compass and the local 1:50,000 map. A few packs of noodles, a couple of tins and some sarnies. Nick a small saucepan from the kitchen and buy a cheap stove. A really basic surplus rucksack and just get out and do it. Its spring. In the UK, at this time of year, you don't need an artic bag and a set of merino wool thermals. If you find you want a bigger tarp or a bivi bag or whatever, then add to your kit after your trip - when experience tells you which bit of kit you need the most.

Red

Bearing in mind what BR said I dont wish to veer off topic but:-

I had a mad keen friend from my local dive club once, turn down a dive daytrip because he had spent all his money on new kit and was skint.
It had me scratching my head for a while in disbelief.

Sorry, back to the topic in hand, although i feel there is some relevance.

Bodge:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE