Fuel for long distance trips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
In the airborne forces, we always carried a lit hexi in our top left smock pocket, so if we ran out of rations we'd still have something hot to eat.

Tell that to the youngsters nowadays and they don't believe ya!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....In my (regrettably now very long) experience the most pleasant hydrocarbon fuel to use is aviation spirit (Santaman's avgas), which unlike road fuels leaves practically nothing behind when it evaporates. Not even a smell......

Yeah, it's known as "aviation spirit" in the UK. Avgas is actually 100 octane Low Lead gasoline.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........In my (regrettably now very long) experience the most pleasant hydrocarbon fuel to use is aviation spirit (Santaman's avgas).......

.......Unfortunately because of regulation it's not all that easy to buy in the UK.....

Not exactly sold over the counter here either (and far more expensive than road fuel anyway) I believe the point however is that in certain limited situations, it might be the only fuel available. That seemed to be the point of the OP; the stove with the most flexibility regarding fuels.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
ged:

you manage 15ml of meths for 500ml regular in a trangia? That is good going. I know there are ones like the vargo triad that claim it, but I would feel good if I managed 500ml from 25 ml with all the heating and evapouration post use. Tell me your secret.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Blimey, missed that one. Ged, sell it back to Trangia for £100k so that they can copy that nirvana burner...one of the backpacking worlds conundrums is now solved! Failing that how about a video?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
ged:

you manage 15ml of meths for 500ml regular in a trangia? That is good going. I know there are ones like the vargo triad that claim it, but I would feel good if I managed 500ml from 25 ml with all the heating and evapouration post use. Tell me your secret.
I have once made a 20ml boil in my triad... in the house!
ged:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
500ml using 15-20ml of meths is very doable on various burners. Proper windscreen and correct height of pot above heat also helps a lot.

For example the sidewinder/caldera cones made by Trail Designs along with their stoves are very fuel efficient.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have once made a 20ml boil in my triad... in the house!

Sorry for the delay in replying folks, the forum keeps on blocking my account because the dumb-bottom mail system that it's using now doesn't understand our mail defences... :(

Quite a few times I've weighed the amount of meths used to boil 400ml of water (starting from about body temperature) in a BCB stainless mug, with a foil lid, on the ordinary Trangia burner.
It takes about 16 grammes, which is about 20ml. You do need a good windshield, and if there's a good breeze you need a very good windshield -- better a windshield in a shelter.
An lightweight aluminium container with a better shape, like the Trangia kettle, is a bit better than the stainless BCB mug but more awkward to carry in a belt pouch.
I think my best effort with the little Trangia kettle was 11 grammes but I'd have to check my notes because that might have been paraffin on an Optimus 96. :)

To save fuel I use water that I've had close to my body so the water AND the container that I'm going to boil it in AND the Trangia burner are already at about 25C before I start.
That saves around 25% of the fuel if it's freezing out there -- which is when I most want a brew. I put the mug on the burner as soon as it's lit, I don't wait for it to 'bloom'.

I drink tea black, no sugar. If I'm going to drink 500ml of tea, I don't boil 500ml of water. I boil less than 400ml, then make the tea.
Then when it's brewed I pour the rest of the water from the (body-warm) flask into it so I can drink it without burning my mouth.

If I'm in a hurry or short of fuel (very rare) I might boil even less water (and that's more efficient, the losses are lower).
I might even drink coffee, which doesn't need the water to be as hot as it does for tea. I probably need the energy anyway (I have sugar in coffee, that's really the only reason I drink it).

One of my corned beef hash things (much of the thermal mass is peas and carrots in water) takes just about the same amount of meths.

So: 40ml for a brew and a meal which is just under half the meths that my Trangia burner holds brimming full which means I can go all day on one fill -- if it doesn't leak.

Even so, I'm only getting around 30% efficiency. It takes about 126kJ to heat 400ml of water from 25C to 100C (400g x 75C x 4.2J/gC).
There is (well, should be - see below) almost 420kJ in 16ml of meths: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Comparison_with_other_fuels

Finally be aware that not all meths is equal. I use "burning alcohol" or the more expensive "superior alcohol" which I buy by the gallon in France.
Alcohols mix easily with water, and I don't know how much water will be in the meths you're buying, but for sure it won't be zero because anhydrous alcohol is a laboratory reagent and it's REALLY expensive.
http://www.chemicals.co.uk/absolute-ethanol

I don't see that there's a big issue here, but as I said 30ml of meths seems a bit excessive for a brew.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I have many, many designs of meths stoves. Cat, whitebox, mini bull, pop can, tuna can, trangia, Triad etc. The Triad is the most efficient by far, I've never tried a commercial Caldera stove but have made a clone which was okay but certainly no better that the Triad.

How on earth you manage to walk comfortably and carry a full trangia and 500ml of water at reasonably close to body temp I have no idea. I walk stripped most of the time to just a base layer with a windstopper layer in winter, so no pockets. All of my tests are done using mains temperature tap water (5-8c) so that will have a bearing. I use methanol to burn, it compares directly with meths in test conditions but is a lot cheaper. I've never used ethanol so can't comment. ADz; I'm well aware of the 15ml claims made by Caldera, have you ever managed that? I've seriously considered a Caldera cone previously but the gas option just keeps coming up a winner for me so far.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
How on earth you manage to walk comfortably and carry a full trangia and 500ml of water at reasonably close to body temp I have no idea. I walk stripped ...

You said walk, I didn't. I most want a brew when I wake up. I've been sleeping with my water, not walking with it. :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use 1kg gas cylinders or about 700g of gas. bacon eggs cornbeef hash nice n crispy. Alot of salt in those brings me back to being thirsty. Two 500ml cups of tea with breccie and three at night.

Am I the only one thinking that with 1L of tea in the morning, and 1.5L of tea at night, how far do you get between toilet stops? :p

I will say that the jetboil does work better for small girly portions though!

*Grumble* at your "girly portions". That said, I think anything I eat will mostly be girlie portions...

I have never found it difficult, its really rather like your argument of "you can buy gas anywhere". Trust me, you really can buy food anywhere. Plenty of farms will still, with pleasure, supply eggs, veg, etc. Almost every tiny hamlet has a shop where you can get some veg, some fresh meat etc.

I am not so sure I agree with you, I think in low land Britain I would agree, but in the North of Scotland? Or Iceland, maybe not.

If I had to ultralight and eat freeze dried, I'd rather stay home to be honest. It strikes me as very poor planning to think that there would be no resupply possible for 14 days - there are very few places where that would be the case. Even 30+ years ago I could spend three weeks on Skye occasionally looping past a Youth hostel for a shower and to pick up a parcel with more fuel etc. in. I could also nip past a shop every few days for fresh veg and meat and a few dried or tinned items. Its really not difficult and people shoouldn't think that that they have to buy expensive rations to get out and about.

Here's a video from a trip:

http://vimeo.com/16580852

Write up about the trip here

25 days without resupply opportunity, 25 days fuel and food needing to be carried.

I've not judged anyone, i'm merely giving my opinion based upon my experiences, if someone finds a better solution for their type of activities good on em.

Are you sure?

What you are doing is arguing against and belittling peoples opinions even though you have absolutely no experience of the type of terrain, weather, and difficulty levels.

[post=1525532]You sure?[/post]

I don't enjoy freeze dried meals, i do enjoy a 8 hour hike slightly more if my pack is lighter though.
I've never once restricted myself on cups of tea, neither have i ever rationed my fuel.

Again if you try to cover 20 miles in a day and do anything over 1000m of ascent it IS a slog.
I don't care if you are a marathon runner, carrying 12 to 14kg over that sort of distance over that sort of height gain you ARE gonna feel it.
It's only after you've suffered that you start to look towards saving weight were practically possible.

Yep this is why I am trying to get my pack under 8kg before I add food/water/camera gear.

With regards to hygiene, again 5 days hiking on and around rain soaked mountains what are the options in your opinion?

You can't wash the clothes as they simply won't get dry.
I keep myself clean, but there is not a lot you can do with regards to cleaning your clothes.
If i take a fresh set of clothing for each day that's about 300g per top and 400g for trousers, 5 days would mean 3.5kg in extra clothing.
Again no real problem when walking canal paths or over Lincolnshire "mountains" but when putting in any distance or height it's a major load to carry for no real reason, cause you're going to sweat your togs off anyways.

There are options available. In that situation I would adopt jungle procedure, a dry set of clothes, and a wet set. Wear the wet set in the day, dry set at night. Take a pair of underwear for every day, choose the right pair and this should be in the 20-40g each region. Done.

Lastly,
Who are you to judge what i find pleasurable?
You have absolutely no idea who i am, you have from zero to very little knowledge of Greece and the areas i hike, yet you making a sweeping statement to infer that i'm looking at it as some sort of macho endurance test.

To be fair, you have made such judgements in other threads and in this one about my own personal choices and ideas. You don't know who I am and I don't know who you are. I have on desire to acquire an enemy, or to get into a slagging match. Nor do I have any wish to exchange insults. I would however draw your attention to how you have replied to my various posts and ask you to perhaps reconsider the above paragraph.

It's also my legs and back that is carrying the weight in my rucksack, so again as a grown adult it's my choice what i pack, what i eat and what i cook with.

Yep, that applies to all of us.

If you did the same route with tinned food and fresh veg i'd happily re-evaluate my choices.
As it is you're trying to tell other people how to live their lives with absolutely no experience or knowledge of the efforts or experiences involved.

Remind me, what colour is your pot?

Guys, cb6fs seems to be taking some knocks here. I am just transitioning to lightweight backpacking (slowly because it's not cheap to get set up) have about 40 stoves (really) of all fuel types. You have to rely on net reviews otherwise I would have 140 stoves! I was totally against the Jetboil for instance, but got one free with a magazine subscription. It DOES cook, from simmer to boil and the whole food range except pancakes with the stock pan. It's not heavy but I can get a better and lighter pan with a Ti burner that is more versatile but it's not as protected from the wind etc so needs a windscreen. The point is that I would never had bought a JB despite the good reviews.

I too am transitioning to a UL setup. So far in the last month I've managed to get 2kg off my weekend pack base weight (13kg -> 11kg). I have planned savings of another 700g in the coming weeks, and this is before I start to really scrimp and save on the grams.

I have 4 stoves. Catcan stove, MSR Whisperlite, MSR Dragonfly, MOD issue Hexi burner.

5 if you also count the crusader cooking system.

I now measure and weigh my kit. When I was in the mob I thought nothing of throwing what I wanted in a rucksack and bimbling off; on one occasion with a bag weighing 27kg. A 3 day trip, I now can do with 12kg INCLUDING food and 1.5L of water. There could be more done but I can't afford it.

I think I topped out one trip at 45kg. That was utter madness. Never again.

The point is; and I poo pooed this before, is that the days walk really is more enjoyable. I recently did a 50 mile walk over 3 days without a single blister and I wasn't dreading the next day when I awoke each morning. The journey before that I carried 18kg and whilst it was a a good walk, I was knackered and it was hard.

Completely agree. The walk back today was so much more enjoyable than the same trip a month ago. Less weight, less fatigue. Also a more comfortable pack. BPL have it right, less weight, more fun.

It's taken me decades to get around to going lightweight and I can't understand why I didn't do it before. cbr6fs seems passionate about his ethos that's his choice and from my pov it makes perfect sense, I don't see it's worth knocking an individual or a group of people who enjoy doing it another way. Just like some can't fathom why you don't want to carry tins, I can't understand why you would, or an Optimus 123R stove for instance (which I have). Likewise, you CANNOT do some of the walks in the UK using fresh food and resupply unless you walk out of the way to visit places off of the route.

Agreed. I have plans for a 3-4 day trip in lowland Britain, and in 60km, I will pass exactly 2 shops, to visit any more would require a significant diversion.

Anyway I/we have gone way off topic and a multi fuel burner will never be light but it will be convenient. It's a judgement call.

That it is, but given how little weight the Omnilite TI actually is, compared to the likes of a Dragonfly, seems ideal. It has certainly gone on my shopping list.

Now you seem to have a agenda against me and you seem to actively seek out posts of mine to get outraged about.
Even worse, when i post explaining my opinion in what i feel is a non offensive calm way, you answer with snippy comments and nit pick to try and take the thread off track.

I'm sure I've felt like that on at least 2 threads...

Actually it's an optimization problem, but this is as far as I got in this thread before running out of steam. There's a lot of good information here but it seems to be meandering.
One point I thought hadn't been sufficiently aired is that it's the efficiency of the entire heating system that matters if you care about weight on a trip, not just that of the burner.
One poster claimed to use 30ml if meths to boil 500ml of water (from some unknown starting temperature) but that seems excessive to me. In a Trangia 25 I would expect to be able to make a brew or a meal with that sort of quantity of water using half as much meths.
Still less meths in a more efficient setup, if you can find one. :)

Yes, but Meths is not that easily available. Down here in Kent the moment you leave a town, you won't find it. You're lucky if the village shop has biscuits and a bottle of drink, The ole traditional hardware shop or aladins cave village store just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

And this is where the balance tips. Meths or gas, I may have to carry the whole trip's worth of fuel from day one. Where as Petrol or multifuel stove I could actually get away with carrying half the trips worth, because at a petrol station, I can get petrol. With a multi fuel stove that will take petrol *AND* gas, I can even carry the petrol bottle empty, and use the gas bottle until the petrol station at day 7... Lots to think about.

As has been noted, road fuel (petrol/gasoline) is awful stuff - my most recent experience of how awful was two nights ago when the a fuel pipe on the Hayabusa came adrift, and my hands have only just stopped smelling of it.
It kinda baffles me how anybody can talk about filling up a half-litre bottle from the pumps and then grumble about hexy. All you need to do is set the stove downwind. It says that, or something like it, right there on the packet.
Fuels don't get much safer than hexamine, and if you can grumble about hexy you can live without cooking. :)

Interesting point of view. Hexi is considerably more expensive, hard to find, and smells aweful. You also have exactly zero control over how much you use. You can't really put half a block out when you're tea is ready...

In my (regrettably now very long) experience the most pleasant hydrocarbon fuel to use is aviation spirit (Santaman's avgas), which unlike road fuels leaves practically nothing behind when it evaporates. Not even a smell.
Unfortunately because of regulation it's not all that easy to buy in the UK, but if you fly (unless of course you fly a jet) you can save the bit that you have to drain from the tanks on the pre-flight check instead of letting it slop on the grass.
And you can make especially sure there's no water in there by draining more than might strictly be necessary. :)

One of the interesting ones these days is Aspen. It's rumoured to be much nicer than petrol in it's odour. I've not tried it yet. But when I run out of petrol for my MSR stoves, I will certainly be replacing it with Aspen.

Thank you everyone for your contributions on this thread, I think I've reached the conclusions I need for the trip.

Thanks

Julia

ged

Jul 16, 2009
That makes for sense. So when you are making a brew from "cold" in the evening, you would expect to use more fuel?

Yes, if I made tea in the evening, but I'd tend to make chocolate in the evening because if I drink tea or coffee after about tea-time I can't sleep.
Hot chocolate doesn't need much more than warm water. So for me, it's a sort of win-win situation.

But to be fiar I don't know how much time I spend worrying about how much fuel I'm using when I'm using it. Don't forget the first word of the thread title is "Planning".
I do my measuring and what-not at home in the garden, so I know more or less what I need to take with me when I leave civilization and the electronic balance behind!

I'm always planning to use less fuel, which can mean planning to have some warm water in the morning (like washing with the water from a bottle of warm water that's kept me cozy all night) or it can mean trying not to use the fuel that I've carried in at all.
If you can boil water using foraged fuel that's a 100% win in fuel efficiency, and then some because you haven't had to carry it. But that's probably digressing from Julia's rules of engagement for this thread.

If you have to melt ice or snow by the way, it's a HUGE loss. It takes more than twice as much energy to turn ice at 0C to water at 100C as it does to heat water from 25C to 100C. The numbers are 754 and 315.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Am I the only one thinking that with 1L of tea in the morning, and 1.5L of tea at night, how far do you get between toilet stops? :p

The stops pose different issues for you than they do for me. :)
But I would tend to drink less at one time, and more often, and mostly just plain water.

*Grumble* at your "girly portions".

Women!

...trying to get my pack under 8kg before I add food/water/camera gear.

Ditch the camera. You want to remember what it was like, go back there. :)

There are options available. In that situation I would adopt jungle procedure ...

+1

...Meths is not [always] that easily available. ... multifuel stove I could actually get away with carrying half the trips worth ... Lots to think about.

Indeed, and a multi-fuel stove is usually my first choice, although my recent experiments with the 111T using alcohol have been disappointing. I posted here about that somewhere a while ago I think.

... Hexi is considerably more expensive, hard to find, and smells aweful. You also have exactly zero control over how much you use. You can't really put half a block out when you're tea is ready...

Actually you can put them out but you don't have to light the whole block! I cut the hexi blocks up with my knife. One quarter of a block makes me a brew. As I seem to keep saying, the first word in the thread title is "Planning". You chose it. :)

One of the interesting ones these days is Aspen. It's rumoured to be much nicer than petrol in it's odour.

OK so now it's not a rumour, I've been using it in my Optimus 8 and 111B for years. But I will say that I'm most disappointed with the plastic containers that it comes in. The fuel evaporates from them surprisingly quickly, so you start with about 3.6kg, use half of that, and end up with 1.5kg. That's my own personal experience of storing five-litre cans of it in a shed which gets quite warm in summer. Next time I buy some I'll pour it into a metal container.

... I think I've reached the conclusions I need for the trip.

Thanks

:)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The stops pose different issues for you than they do for me. :)
But I would tend to drink less at one time, and more often, and mostly just plain water.

The other day, while gardening, I went through 4L of water (with blackcurrant squash in it) by 4pm. But it was exceedingly hot and I was working through the middle of the day.

Yes please!

Ditch the camera. You want to remember what it was like, go back there. :)

This is actually the one response that I find more infuriating than any other. I head out into the wilderness to take photos of it, my main reason for being there, is to photograph it. Hence while my pack may be as light as possible, there is no compromise on the camera.

Seeing as the wilderness is the only place you can see the sky as nature intended, that also means carrying something to support the camera for long exposure shots of the sky. This is why the responses to [thread=122340]this thread[/thread] upset me so much, to the point that I have yet to calm down enough to write a polite response.

Indeed, and a multi-fuel stove is usually my first choice, although my recent experiments with the 111T using alcohol have been disappointing. I posted here about that somewhere a while ago I think.

Are there any multi fuel stoves that will also burn meths?

Actually you can put them out but you don't have to light the whole block! I cut the hexi blocks up with my knife. One quarter of a block makes me a brew. As I seem to keep saying, the first word in the thread title is "Planning". You chose it. :)

Given the toxicity of Hexi, I won't touch it with the knife I also eat off...

OK so now it's not a rumour, I've been using it in my Optimus 8 and 111B for years. But I will say that I'm most disappointed with the plastic containers that it comes in. The fuel evaporates from them surprisingly quickly, so you start with about 3.6kg, use half of that, and end up with 1.5kg. That's my own personal experience of storing five-litre cans of it in a shed which gets quite warm in summer. Next time I buy some I'll pour it into a metal container.
:)

That is really useful to know. I think I would be buying it in 1L bottles and decanting it straight into metal fuel bottles for most bushcraft uses. Maybe for a chainsaw I would leave it in the 5L bottle...

Thanks

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
With respect Quixoticgeek as you are full aware by my quoting methods, my the posts you quoted were not directed towards you.

The posts you've quoted me in are from completely different topics that have absolutely nothing to do with the advice i've tried to give or the defence of my opinions here in this thread are not relevant here at all.

I am not interested in entering some sort of pedantic point scoring, i try and give the best advice i can on the very very very few topics i post on here on this forum, if my advice or opinion is questioned i'll happily defend it to the best of my abilities.

If you have question on my advice regarding posts made in this thread i will happily try and help you to the best of my abilities.

If you want to start dragging in completely different threads about completely different opinions (non relevant) as some ridiculous pedantic point scoring system then i'm happy to say, you win as i refuse to partake.

Please don't take that as being unfriendly, i will do anything to help anyone, and will give the absolute best advice i have.
If you have any questions of challenges to my opinions in THIS thread please ask and i'll happily try my best to answer.

Cheers
Mark

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... the one response that I find more infuriating than any other. ... I have yet to calm down enough to write a polite response [to another post]

Give over, this is just a bit of fun. I know you want to take your camera, and I'd like to take one more often than I do too, but thesedays I usually compromise and just take my 'phone.
At least I have something if I want to grab an interesting record.

Are there any multi fuel stoves that will also burn meths?

Er, the 111T? :)

Given the toxicity of Hexi, I won't touch it with the knife I also eat off...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine#Food_additive :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
One of the interesting ones these days is Aspen. It's rumoured to be much nicer than petrol in it's odour.

Julia,

Also look at Panel Wipe (covered a lot on here before). I run all of my petrol stoves on it. 123R, 8R, 99, 111, Coleman 442, clone stoves etc and I actually like smell. It's reasonably priced and can be mail ordered from many places or your local motor factors may have it Not for your trip but whilst in the UK.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Give over, this is just a bit of fun. I know you want to take your camera, and I'd like to take one more often than I do too, but thesedays I usually compromise and just take my 'phone.
At least I have something if I want to grab an interesting record.

I know, I just get really twitchy about it. You would be amazed how much some men can patronise women when doing anything that isn't women's work. It's very easy to get hypersensitive about it, especially with my photography.

"ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine_fuel_tablet

Julia,

Also look at Panel Wipe (covered a lot on here before). I run all of my petrol stoves on it. 123R, 8R, 99, 111, Coleman 442, clone stoves etc and I actually like smell. It's reasonably priced and can be mail ordered from many places or your local motor factors may have it Not for your trip but whilst in the UK.

Ooh, the fact it can be mail ordered is useful, if I can find ½l bottles of it for mail order, I could have that posted to resupply points... That certainly opens options up.

Will get some to try on my stoves. What's it's shelf life like?

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE