Fuel for long distance trips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know, I just get really twitchy about it. You would be amazed how much some men can patronise women when doing anything that isn't women's work. It's very easy to get hypersensitive about it, especially with my photography.....

Photography's a man's job!? Not really. Rodeo's a man's job.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I know, I just get really twitchy about it. You would be amazed how much some men can patronise women when doing anything that isn't women's work. It's very easy to get hypersensitive about it, especially with my photography.

"ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine_fuel_tablet

Ooh, the fact it can be mail ordered is useful, if I can find ½l bottles of it for mail order, I could have that posted to resupply points... That certainly opens options up.

Will get some to try on my stoves. What's it's shelf life like?

Julia
I've had the latest lot about 18 months. most of it stored in 3l washing detergent bottles. I haven't lost any to evaporation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Dammit Julia I didn't say eat the whole tablet!

I'm just poiting out that a trace on your knife won't quickly kill you. Not even slowly, in paroxysms of agony. So relax. :)

True. Not going to go out and cut any in a hurry tho...

And y'all like to correct my conversion mistakes!? LOL. 500 Milliliters is only a half liter, not a liter.

Yes, but 2x 500ML = 1L, 3x 500ml = 1.5L. You said "Two 500ml cups of tea with breccie and three at night." I make that a total of 5 x 500ml cups of tea - 2.5L total.

Tho I think we may be each being pedantic here...

Photography's a man's job!? Not really. Rodeo's a man's job.

Must not rise to the bait... must not rise to the bait... must not rise to the bait...

I've had the latest lot about 18 months. most of it stored in 3l washing detergent bottles. I haven't lost any to evaporation.

That's good to know. Will add 500ml to my shopping list.

Cheers

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Yes, but 2x 500ML = 1L, 3x 500ml = 1.5L. You said "Two 500ml cups of tea with breccie and three at night." I make that a total of 5 x 500ml cups of tea - 2.5L total.....

I'll have to go back and re-read it. But it wasn't e who said it, it was Petrochemicals.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Must not rise to the bait... must not rise to the bait... must not rise to the bait...

LOL. Sorry. The truth is that I can remember when carrying a camera generally marked one as a tourist. My daughter's been trying to do photography semi-professionally but unfortunately, it's a die-ing profession these days. For men or women.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well I think you answered your own question Julia with the squash answer, perspiration etc, washing all of the extra toxins you create through physical activity and extra eating from, you will have to top it up with alot more than a couple of litres of squash a day.

You will probably find enough fuel for a bush buddy stove or a tin can with holes in it. Whisperlights are supposed to burn meths.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
LOL. Sorry. The truth is that I can remember when carrying a camera generally marked one as a tourist. My daughter's been trying to do photography semi-professionally but unfortunately, it's a die-ing profession these days. For men or women.

Blimey? there was really a time like that? How scary.

My camera is in a pouch across my chest for easy access. Means I can't see my feet when walking without tilting my head to look round it, but I don't like hiking without it. I don't take many photos, but when I do, I tend to be happy with the results.

well I think you answered your own question Julia with the squash answer, perspiration etc, washing all of the extra toxins you create through physical activity and extra eating from, you will have to top it up with alot more than a couple of litres of squash a day.

I tend to drink 2-3L of water a day as a matter of course, before I start any exertion. Just the idea of a litre of tea before I start moving ...

I think the climate has a big impact too.

You will probably find enough fuel for a bush buddy stove or a tin can with holes in it. Whisperlights are supposed to burn meths.

I thought I killed that idea off with the link to crossing of iceland? :p

J

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I tend to drink 2-3L of water a day as a matter of course, before I start any exertion. Just the idea of a litre of tea before I start moving ...

I think the climate has a big impact too.

I thought I killed that idea off with the link to crossing of iceland? :p

J
You have to understand my mornings are slow, I'm not there for a competition, and I'm always thirsty when I wake, maybe a litre and a half if I'm feeling like it.

I saw the Iceland one, but I thought this trip was linked to Kent, or Cornwall. I think there should be enough dead plant stuff for a small cook, keep your eyes out then for next time. I would thave thought there would have been enough plant matter even in Iceland. The only truely barron place I have seen is the upper slopes of the Tenerife volcano, above 2000m there is almost nothing but lava rock, but pine trees still grow up to 2000m on the wet side of the island and even cactus and shrubs the dry side.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You have to understand my mornings are slow, I'm not there for a competition, and I'm always thirsty when I wake, maybe a litre and a half if I'm feeling like it.

My mornings tend to be slow also, tho I may have to speed up a bit on long trips if I am to get 30k done in a day.

I saw the Iceland one, but I thought this trip was linked to Kent, or Cornwall. I think there should be enough dead plant stuff for a small cook, keep your eyes out then for next time. I would thave thought there would have been enough plant matter even in Iceland. The only truely barron place I have seen is the upper slopes of the Tenerife volcano, above 2000m there is almost nothing but lava rock, but pine trees still grow up to 2000m on the wet side of the island and even cactus and shrubs the dry side.

If you look at the iceland video and photos, large sections of that trip are just as you described. Nothing but lava, rock, and water. I would say "as far as the eye can see", but that's about 20m at some points...

Biomass can't be relied on for some trips I have planned.

Thanks

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE