Fuel for long distance trips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
When I'm going somewhere where I need my stove to function on pretty much any fuel apart from really dirty fuels and weigh as little as possible, I reach for my Primus OmniliteTi. It'll burn gaseous and liquid fuel with the exception of alcohol. Not a problem as alcohol can be burnt in any tin etc. You can also refill gas cans with it by using a butane lighter refill can in the fuel hose at a pinch. There are very few places in the world where you can't get at least one of these fuels.

I take a full spares kit and a spare pump/fuel line. There is nothing that these will not fix. I'd err away from the Nova, the nut can snap off at the bottom as it's weakened by the shaker jet design.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
My preferred method is to pay someone to cook for me, chapatis/goat/fish/rice cooked by a Somalian/Rastafarian/Tibetan using wood fire/hexi/paraffin stove, you name it I've eaten it.

I've also gone days at a time without food or just eaten nuts and biscuits.

Choice of stove and fuel is number 102 of a list of 120 on my checklist, it sounds like you are still on question 5 or 6?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
So, as I change trains from Gare Du Nord to Montparnasse where is my nearest decathlon?

What about the change of trains at Toulouse-Matabiau? Arrival at L'Hospitalet-près-l'Andorre ?

Upon arriving in Seyðisfjörður where is my nearest source of the correct gas cart? What about Torshavn?

Absolutely no idea, i don't do public transport.
Your best bet is to do a search, if you go the decathlon.fr site it will give you a list of stores and their locations.

Do they? Never seen them in AH when I lived in the Netherlands...

Yep

Footprint vs centre of gravity.

You've already stated that you intend to eat dehydrated food, in my experience i've never had a problem even with relatively tall stove/pot combo's like the Jetboil

A Jetboil with it's stand fitted under the gas canister will be more stable than your whisperlite.

Centre of gravity is not really relevant in this case as you're boiling water so the pot is in a fixed location.

But if I leave the whisperlite at home and take the fire maple vortex, at 227.2 grams.

You could also fill your rucksack with bricks and sand, i don't really see how that's relative though.
There are light and there are heavy stoves, you showed some concern that a remote gas stove will be heavy, my intention was to show that is not always the case.

OOI, how did you derive the 850g of fuel? Please can you show your working.

As a comparison my Evernew alcohol burner (pretty efficient compared to a trangia burner) uses around 30ml of meths to boil 500ml of water.

28 (amount i get out a gas cartridge) x 30ml = 840ml of meths required
My Trangia meths bottle fully filled with 500ml of meths weighs 485 grams
My 300 Trangia meths bottle filled up weights 353 grams
500ml + 300ml = 800ml (around 28 boils)
More worryingly though 485g + 353g = 838 grams for for (inc containers)

838 grams of meths needed
373 grams for a gas cartridge

I investigated the jetboil range, discounted it for gas and also seemed like a one trick pony to me.

Absolutely spot on.
Not the stove i take if i want to actually cook anything, but when it comes to boiling water there is nothing i've found that's as efficient and lightweight but still practical.
Trust me it pains me to say that, with the problems i had previously

You can get extremely light if you want to. But it's actually the best trade off of fuel availability, energy density, durability, controlability, and ease of use. It's a massive set of simultaneous equations, and I am trying to find the answer of best fit.

Julia

A mate in the UK insists on using a wood burner, to me it's an absolute nightmare.
First off he is always scouting around looking for suitably sized wood, then when we stop he's forever faffing to get it lit, then it takes an absolute age to cook or boil anything, he can't control the heat even when it gets going and then we have to wait while the bloody thing cools down.
Got to the point where i refuse to walk with him as it takes 45mins for him to have a cup of tea.

He loves it though and thinks my gas burner is "unromantic and cold"
So if you add in personal preferences everything else goes out the window.

If you don't like gas burners that's your choice and i see no point trying to change your mind, in my experiences though some of your goals point towards gas being a good option.

Weight.
It's a lightweight fuel solution for multi day trips

Control
The stoves give a good amount of control over the flame

Fuel availability
I've never personally had any problem finding somewhere that stocks gas cartridges, but because you get so much fuel in such a small light container you can pack up more than enough gas and still stay light

Speed
It's a very fast way of cooking (no priming or pumping) which i find useful as the last thing i want to faff with after a full days hiking is cooking my food.

Reliability
Gas burners tend to be extremely reliable which is not always the case with multi fuel stoves in my experience (seals, pumps have failed on my, plus i always seem to be unlucky with bad fuel).
Only problem i've had has been a bit of spluttering with a gas burner due to a blocked filter, easy to clean out and still work ok though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....What type do I go for then? A few years back I was hiking in Scotland with friends, and we were based in Killin. I took my petrol stove, filling it up when I filled up the hire car to get there, and my friend took his gas stove. He scoured all three outdoor shops in the village for the right gas to fuel his stove, before finally giving up and buying a hexi stove so he could at least eat... A few years later my housemate of the time was going hiking in the dolomites. I offered to lend him my MSR Whisperlite. His hiking companion said that it was kind but unneeded, they had a gas stove and would be fine. They got there to find they couldn't get the right gas cart anywhere, they spent 10 days cooking on my housemate's crusader cooker. With this in mind, I cannot depend on being able to source the right kind of gas cart where ever it is I am going. Liquid fuels of one kind or another can be found pretty much everywhere. ....

I think you've already answered your own question. Go for a multi/liquid fuel stove.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You are asking for an answer but not fully posing a question. Holding back information with regard to the destination is about as much use to a meaningful answer as using a chocolate clothes line prop on a hot sunny day.

Every option given has been negated and put aside. In the circumstances, I fully agree that a multi fuel stove would be the best option. Good luck on your travels.

N

Nomad

I often hear this from people when I mention weight of various items. You're right, you don't notice the weight of your knife in your pocket. But, if I was to take every item in your pack, and make each one 50g heavier. You would notice the 1kg of extra weight you're carrying around.

We're not talking about every item in a pack, we're talking about one item. Moreover, my response was to your comment about whether the weight concerned really was such a big deal. I was merely pointing out that I seem to be able to carry a fairly heavy pocket knife without noticing.

To put it in perspective, to carry walk 1km, is 100 calories. To do that 1km with a 5kg pack, is 150 calories. Every 100g is another calorie per km. Not much on a 5k walk round the local woods. Do 300 km through the wilderness, and having an extra 1kg of pack weight, means you burn 3000 calories. (based on "average" calorie numbers, individuals may vary etc... numbers for guidance purposes only).

Perhaps your answer lies in a spreadsheet. Thought this was interesting...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

Quite a lot of variation due to terrain and pace. I dare say the fuel/food efficiencies could be calculated for a range of foods and stoves/fuels, and then a bunch of modifiers applied to project requirements for a given period over whatever terrain at whatever pace.

Having said that, you're opposed to gas and hexi, don't think you'll be able to replenish meths (and maybe aren't too impressed with the meths stoves anyway), so it seems to me that you're looking at petrol/paraffin and similar fuels. If that's the case then you either pick the lightest petrol stove, the lightest paraffin stove, or the lightest multi-fuel stove. With that, you then deal with how much fuel to carry and how to replenish it if you don't carry enough for the whole trip. The lightest stove that burns the fuel(s) you want to use will be the lightest stove, and that will be that. You then plan your trip in detail, crunch the numbers, and decide if it's hypothetically feasible. If it isn't, then you either reconsider the fuels you discounted, modify your replenishment plans, or get the engineer's hat on and invent a lighter stove.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Fair one about only having the smaller jet for burning petrol; I take it you didn't have a bigger jet for dirty fuel use?
This thread seems to have become a real deal on the forum! Before I rewind to your original query, and as others have mentioned, are you looking for the perfect set up for long distance trips or a set up based on individual trips in researched environments with a real preference for a lightweight setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
if you're not doing it solo then take your dragonfly or whisperlight and the spares kit, you've already paid for these.....then give someone else a hexy burner with a few packs of blocks distributed between you and yer pretty much covered for anything.

fuel will be no problem and if all else fails you have the near on un-killable hexy block to fall back on

nailing down the trip duration, including time spent in the cuds between re-supply, plus climate and season would help to

failing all that. you could always simply flag down a passing rasta or somalian to do you a brew lol

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
When I'm going somewhere where I need my stove to function on pretty much any fuel apart from really dirty fuels and weigh as little as possible, I reach for my Primus OmniliteTi. It'll burn gaseous and liquid fuel with the exception of alcohol. Not a problem as alcohol can be burnt in any tin etc. You can also refill gas cans with it by using a butane lighter refill can in the fuel hose at a pinch. There are very few places in the world where you can't get at least one of these fuels.

I take a full spares kit and a spare pump/fuel line. There is nothing that these will not fix. I'd err away from the Nova, the nut can snap off at the bottom as it's weakened by the shaker jet design.

Now this is actually the most useful suggestion so far. The Omnilite is very expensive, but it does appear to be the answer to my all my issues. It is tempting to sell my Dragonfly, put the money towards the Omnilite, and then I can burn everything bar single malt whisky...

My preferred method is to pay someone to cook for me, chapatis/goat/fish/rice cooked by a Somalian/Rastafarian/Tibetan using wood fire/hexi/paraffin stove, you name it I've eaten it.

I've also gone days at a time without food or just eaten nuts and biscuits.

Choice of stove and fuel is number 102 of a list of 120 on my checklist, it sounds like you are still on question 5 or 6?

I head to the wilderness to get away, also being of the female persuasion I fear that my survival time alone in somalia may be somewhat shorter than yours...

I am however very curious, what are the other 119 items on the checklist?

Absolutely no idea, i don't do public transport.
Your best bet is to do a search, if you go the decathlon.fr site it will give you a list of stores and their locations.

And that, in one sentence gives rise to question how relevant your suggestions may be. If you are limited to public transport or on foot, it changes the options. Driving to the nearest decathlon to pick up a gas cart is considerably easier, than having to change trains, break the journey, get a bus to out of town, pick up the cart, get the bus back into town, get back on the train...

Oh, and living in Canterbury, my nearest decathlon is in... France...

Oh, and if you are in a vehicle anyway, would you not choose to burn the fuel that your vehicle uses? solving any fuel supply issues?

A Jetboil with it's stand fitted under the gas canister will be more stable than your whisperlite.

Centre of gravity is not really relevant in this case as you're boiling water so the pot is in a fixed location.

Centre of gravity is fundamental to the stability of a stove. Higher centre of gravity requires a wider base for the same stability. It's simple physics and cannot be avoided.

You could also fill your rucksack with bricks and sand, i don't really see how that's relative though.
There are light and there are heavy stoves, you showed some concern that a remote gas stove will be heavy, my intention was to show that is not always the case.

It is Teepee's suggestion of the Omnilite TI stove that is the most useful of the whole thread actually.

A mate in the UK insists on using a wood burner, to me it's an absolute nightmare.
First off he is always scouting around looking for suitably sized wood, then when we stop he's forever faffing to get it lit, then it takes an absolute age to cook or boil anything, he can't control the heat even when it gets going and then we have to wait while the bloody thing cools down.
Got to the point where i refuse to walk with him as it takes 45mins for him to have a cup of tea.

Some of the many other reasons that I discount biomass as an option even when there are twigs available. Yes a fire is nice, but if you are trying to do 20-30km a day, then 45 mins to make a cuppa is a pain. I tend not to drink tea during the day when hiking, I will have a hot drink with breakfast, and hot drink with dinner, but I do avoid the one with lunch.

He loves it though and thinks my gas burner is "unromantic and cold"
So if you add in personal preferences everything else goes out the window.

Well yes. Personal preference is a good way to trump any conversation. If you get someone suitably stubborn you will never change their mind

If you don't like gas burners that's your choice and i see no point trying to change your mind, in my experiences though some of your goals point towards gas being a good option.

I agree with all your points, I just contest the availability and with direct experience of being unable to find a suitable gas cart when out on trips, I discounted it.

Carrying a Omnilite Ti and starting the trip (when I am in the UK) with a gas cart, but carrying the empty bottle/pump, seems the ideal solution.

I think you've already answered your own question. Go for a multi/liquid fuel stove.

Yes, the meths stove is finding itself not in the packing list.

You are asking for an answer but not fully posing a question. Holding back information with regard to the destination is about as much use to a meaningful answer as using a chocolate clothes line prop on a hot sunny day.

Every option given has been negated and put aside. In the circumstances, I fully agree that a multi fuel stove would be the best option. Good luck on your travels.

Actually the original question I asked was answered in post number 5 of the thread. The 89 posts have largely been around people answering a different question to the one I actually asked in the first place.

We're not talking about every item in a pack, we're talking about one item. Moreover, my response was to your comment about whether the weight concerned really was such a big deal. I was merely pointing out that I seem to be able to carry a fairly heavy pocket knife without noticing.

And I was refuting it by pointing out that when you are carrying that bag of items every step for 300km, then the weight becomes a lot more crucial than you may originally think. I've done heavy weight trips, I've backpacked across europe with 45kg backpacks. Sod that. I am aiming for a base pack weight of under 10kg, ideally 8kg. Every single item in the bag has to justify it's place. No "oh I'll bring this just in case" or "it may be nice to do y one night".

Perhaps your answer lies in a spreadsheet. Thought this was interesting...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

Quite a lot of variation due to terrain and pace. I dare say the fuel/food efficiencies could be calculated for a range of foods and stoves/fuels, and then a bunch of modifiers applied to project requirements for a given period over whatever terrain at whatever pace.

It's quite alarming when you think about some of the numbers...

Having said that, you're opposed to gas and hexi, don't think you'll be able to replenish meths (and maybe aren't too impressed with the meths stoves anyway), so it seems to me that you're looking at petrol/paraffin and similar fuels. If that's the case then you either pick the lightest petrol stove, the lightest paraffin stove, or the lightest multi-fuel stove. With that, you then deal with how much fuel to carry and how to replenish it if you don't carry enough for the whole trip. The lightest stove that burns the fuel(s) you want to use will be the lightest stove, and that will be that. You then plan your trip in detail, crunch the numbers, and decide if it's hypothetically feasible. If it isn't, then you either reconsider the fuels you discounted, modify your replenishment plans, or get the engineer's hat on and invent a lighter stove.

There are some meths stoves that I am really impressed by, namely the Evernew DX stove. Really nicely designed, efficient and can do biomass if it's available. And for the last 6 months of my planning, it was the stove of choice in my pack. It was only when I started to look at resupply options that I started to realise that it may not be the ideal result of the simultaneous equation. Hence my original question regarding the relevant energy densities of the two fuels, and how much I would have to carry for the choice to be different.

The Omnilite TI changes the equations slightly, and gives me a new answer to the question I originally asked.

Fair one about only having the smaller jet for burning petrol; I take it you didn't have a bigger jet for dirty fuel use?
This thread seems to have become a real deal on the forum! Before I rewind to your original query, and as others have mentioned, are you looking for the perfect set up for long distance trips or a set up based on individual trips in researched environments with a real preference for a lightweight setup?

I had the full stove with me, I just wasn't aware that I could try diesel using the kerosene configuration.

Ultimately, I can't afford to have a whole stable of stoves and pick a different one for each trip. So in many respects the perfect lightweight stove for long distance trips.

There is always the option of cold meals and hard tack with cold fluids to wash it down!

To quote Susanne Williams - "Say no to unnecessary suffering" :p

if you're not doing it solo then take your dragonfly or whisperlight and the spares kit, you've already paid for these.....then give someone else a hexy burner with a few packs of blocks distributed between you and yer pretty much covered for anything.

fuel will be no problem and if all else fails you have the near on un-killable hexy block to fall back on

nailing down the trip duration, including time spent in the cuds between re-supply, plus climate and season would help to

failing all that. you could always simply flag down a passing rasta or somalian to do you a brew lol

Nope, I am purely looking at solo trips here. Noone I know is stupid enough to come with me :p

Julia

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
A multi fuel is the way to go then to cover all eventualities; the next step is looking at models that save weight without sacrificing performance

And a solid spares/ maintenance kit ;)

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A multi fuel is the way to go then to cover all eventualities; the next step is looking at models that save weight without sacrificing performance

And a solid spares/ maintenance kit ;)

Yep, am pretty sure that's been established. Primus Omnilite TI looks the best option, is there anything lighter that is as versatile?

J

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep, am pretty sure that's been established. Primus Omnilite TI looks the best option, is there anything lighter that is as versatile?

J

I just looked that one up. It looks good. Be advised though, it says it "works.....even on aviation fuel." Remember from a few posts back, Aviation "fuel' falls into two separate categories:
1) Avgas (which is in reality a high octane gasoline/petrol for piston engine small airplanes) If you ever need to use this (doubtful TBH) you'll need the fittings/jets for petrol.
2) Jet Fuel (which is in reality a kerosene/paraffin or a mixture) If you ever need to use this fuel, you'll want to use the jets for diesel or paraffin/kerosene.

N

Nomad

And I was refuting it by pointing out that when you are carrying that bag of items every step for 300km, then the weight becomes a lot more crucial than you may originally think. I've done heavy weight trips, I've backpacked across europe with 45kg backpacks. Sod that. I am aiming for a base pack weight of under 10kg, ideally 8kg. Every single item in the bag has to justify it's place. No "oh I'll bring this just in case" or "it may be nice to do y one night".

It's quite alarming when you think about some of the numbers...

I think my view is that stuff just has mass, and that we can choose to get used to it. While I can see the value in making everything weigh less, there is an alternative in the form of eating more, or moving more slowly, or whatever. I don't think it's necessarily the case that weight must always go down, and thus calorie consumption with it, and thus weight of energy carried with that. I would never consider relying on a home brew coke can meths stove. We humans are capable of carrying stuff, and sometimes the other benefits are worth the weight.

It makes me think of Formula 1 - each kilo of fuel costs about 0.1 seconds per lap. You can go faster if you carry less fuel, but you might run out before the end. You can put more in, be slower at the start due to the additional weight, but drive harder in the latter stages because you have more fuel left than the ones that chose the economy path (but you'll be wearing out the tyres faster and will have to spend more time making pit stops). You can also gamble that there will be a safety car and fuel less in the hope of a few laps of really economical running and still have enough to push hard when needed. If you get it wrong, you have to drive more gently to last the distance. Lots options, lots of variables, and they all somehow manage to finish the race anyway. When it gets down to it, they can't predict what's going to happen, so they take their best estimate and manage the reality as it happens.

The Omnilite TI changes the equations slightly, and gives me a new answer to the question I originally asked.

I wasn't particularly thinking about stoves, but started looking at the multifuel ones as a result of this thread. The Primus Omni range looks really good - the fuel versatility is a major plus.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not too sure what your point is mate?

ALL upright gas canister burners have exactly the same problem, it's not really a Jetboil specific problem.
Personally i don't camp out at anything near freezing very often, so it's of little consequence to me, but it is a well known and well documented flaw with upright gas burners.

There are bodges you can do like stand the cartridge in warm water, or very very very cautiously use a heat shield to reflect some heat from the burner back into the cartridge.

If i do want to cook at really cold temps i just take my Kovea Spider as it's a remote burner with pre-heat tube.

With regard to Jetboil regulators, in my experience the SOL burner is the one to get, it's more efficient and has better control than the burner used on the other systems.

Have to say i am a really really really begrudging Jetboil user, i was absolutely disgusted at the their terrible after sales support when my Ti cup heat exchanger melted.
They agreed to exchange it till i told them i was in Europe then effectively told me there is no warranty on European sold Jetboils.

The manual when i bought the stove said anything with a high fluid content could be cooked, but then changed all documentation after serveral other exact same failures so now it says it's ONLY for boiling water.

Disgusting and deceitful in my opinion and i'd never buy another Jetboil product BUT for only boiling water and for it's weight and efficiency there is nothing that comes close to the Jetboil SOL Ti for anything above freezing temps.

all are with a normal pan.1 to 1 and1/2l a day for 10 days is 15l. Efficiently run in reasonable weather. boiling water. One 250g/410ml cartridge. Meths at 100ml/80g, 3 hexis per day, or 45ml/34g petrol 40ml/30g,parraffin roughly.

point about the regulators, good to know that they work.

Reactor from msr beats the pants off a jetboil sol ti, aluminium, simmer control, more efficient, wind resistant.

Other one is what is called the primus eta power solo, used to be called the packlight, liquid feed, no regulator. Efficient .

I like to cook 3 times a day, and plenty of hot drinks and biscuits. Probably close to equaling 8l of water.if I do it efficiently my fuel for 5 days comes in at a kilo of gas, plus stove and pan windshieldetc. But if I run out I have to rough it and tough it out.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman the stove comes with three interchangeable jets and yes it will burn aviation fuel.

Yeah; I know. What I was pointing out is that there are two distinct types of aviation fuel and they are NOT interchangeable.

1) Avgas = petrol
2) Jet fuel (Jet-A or JP-whatever number) = kerosene/diesel

Both are aviation fuels.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
You can also refill gas cans with it by using a butane lighter refill can in the fuel hose at a pinch.

quick search on the internet, can't find anything about it. You must have come up with it. Nice idea. Soon to be called the teepee refill.

So it will register on googles search engine:

refilling camping stove cookers cannisters cans cylinders with butane lighter gas refill.

I'm off to google it.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
quick search on the internet, can't find anything about it. You must have come up with it. Nice idea. Soon to be called the teepee refill.

So it will register on googles search engine:

refilling camping stove cookers cannisters cans cylinders with butane lighter gas refill.

I'm off to google it.

I've been refilling all my cans recently in a similar way. I drilled a plastic adaptor that you get with the lighter refill cans so that it takes those cheap gas range cans with a bigger nozzle. I bought a propane refilling kit with a clear hose, (didn't want to keep unscrewing the fuel hose) the adaptors fit the hose perfectly and you can watch all the gas run into the receiver can. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE