fuel for lamps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have just aquired a couple of the old parafin lamps and was wondering, to save weight when out and about, if i could use coleman fuel in them instead or any other type of fuel. They are non pressurized, just a wick in a fuel resevoir, so not sure if some fuels would work. Anybody got any ideas!!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Why not just use lamp oil. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in the UK, but here in Germany it's quite easy to get a hold of. Not too sure if using petrol is good for your eyebrows!!

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Do NOT use Coleman Fuel!

Doing that is a Guarentee of a serious fire!

You can get "Lamp Oil" from places like B&Q but it is expensive.

If you hunt around hardware shops you should be able to find Paraffin still being sold.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hmm... weird, lamp oil and oil lamps are still sold everywhere here for very reasonable prices. Apparently many people use it for decoration and stuff. You can even get colored oil, which "looks beter" in transparant lamps and even citronella oil version.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can get parafinn in 4 litres containers at all the big DIY stores like B&Q, in the garden section (gardeners still use parafinn heaters in greenhouses), also from some petrol stations. Lamp oil is available at a lot of craft shops.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
bogflogger is right!!! - DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL!!!!!!! - it is essentially refined Petrol! :eek:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Looking at the problem backwards. I gather you want to use the same fuel for your cooker and lamps. What kind of stove do you have? Will it work of paraffin?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You can get 4 ltr bottles of paraffin at most garages and DIY stores but it is quite expensive, some petrol stations, especially rural ones, still sell it from the pump and is cheaper that way, but not by much...At B&Q I got a additive to change the smell for something a bit sweeter, you can also get lamp oil in citronella, which will also help keep the bugs away...

LS

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't burn lamp oil in a pressure lamp such as a Tilley or a Vapalux, it could clog your vapouriser tube in quick time (additives in the stuff very often), stick to plain paraffin. If your stove or lamp are burning correctly, there should be little or no smell; you get the smell mainly from poor combustion

I use paraffin/kerosene stoves a lot, some over 80 years old, work great :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
mojofilter said:
Up here B&Q charge £5.99 for 4l of Parasene branded parrafin. :eek:

There is only one garage I know of that still sells it, but they take £3 a gallon!

£3.00 a gallon...bargain
£4.99 ltr ...over priced

LS

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't use much parrafin these day's (only in my workshop heater) but i get it from my local garden centre.
As mentioned above it's still used in greenhouse heaters.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
DONT DONT DONT,
Use Coleman fuel in a parafin lamp unless you have the Fire Brigade standing out side your tent with the hoses charged and ready to go. As g4ghb says - its essentially petrol.
Lamp oil and parafin lamp fuel are much less volatile and won't torch your surroundings so easily (but they will given half a chance).

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE