frosts clipper info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
just learnt two half hitches red
One of the simplest knots, but I use it a lot - Oh...have a look at a clove hitch too 0 thats a useful one :)

Nice adaption spamel - any sausages left :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
right ok i'll learn the clove hitch
so far i no th figure of 8, figure of 8 loop, bowline and two half hitches

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You are always better off using a Round Turn and Two Half Hitches.

It is a lot more secure, in fact this is one of the knots used to attach Anchors (so it has to be reliable and strong).

A quick definition:

Knot = A permanent fixing.

Hitch = A temporary fixing.

All Hitches are easy/fast to tie, but should be replaced by a proper knot ASAP.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks mate
but im a bit unsure of what you mean do you mean tye both of them or...............

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
All of the Knots and Hitches used today come from the days of the old Sailing Ships (some have been renamed by Landlubbers :p ).

Imagine you are heaving a full barrel of Salt Pork out of a boat up onto the deck and need to stop for a second.

You would use a Rolling Hitch to take the weight while you did whatever you need to do.

When you get the barrel where it's going to be stored, you would lash it into place with Knots.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i know the figure of 8, the figure of 8 loop, bowline, two half hitches
what knot do you think i should learn next

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

So we are clear mate, the two half hitches are the bits where you pass the free end of the rope over the fixed (long) end to "lock it off". Imagine standing in front of a tree with a hammock. you pass the rope round the back of the tree. Now pass it round the tree again. now tie two half hitches. Thats a round turn and two half hitches. As for the clove hitch, I know what bogflogger means, I just struggle to explain it. Heres the way by which you do it in the midle of a rope.

1. Starting in the middle of the rope. make a circle. Do it so that the piece of rope leading to your left is on the top of the loop (rope coming from the left lies over end of ropepointing to the right.

2. Make another loop exactly the same a bit further to the right

3. pick up the right hand one of the two loops and put it on top of the left hand loop

4. drop both loops over a chair leg or something and pull tight - a clove hitch without using an end! Very handy when mooring a boat!

Red

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Here's a list of the most useful:

1. Round Turn and Two Half Hitches.
2. Reef Knot.
3. Sheet Bend.
4. Bowline.
5. Clove Hitch.

With practice, you will be able to tie all of them using only one hand! (the other one would be holding onto a Mast or Spar.)

Then try:

6. Timber Hitch.
7. Rolling Hitch.
8. Cats Paw.
9. Sheet Shank.
10. Alpine Butterfly (or Artillery Hitch).
11. Triple Bowline.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You are welcome Leon.

Just take your time and learn how to tie them one at a time.

But most important, get outside and enjoy yourself! :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
For me at least it's difficult to just learn a knot. It's much easier when you actually need to use it. Although learning the basics is probably a good idea (fig-8, bowline, clove hitch etc), I find the best way is just to learn new ones as you go along and need them. Right now I only ever need to use very few knots. If I get a hammock, or go climbing again then I'll learn some new ones.

So, as with everything, it all comes down to practice. So just go out and do stuff.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Leon b

These are a couple of books I bought for myself...
Knot Know-How...isbn 1-898660-98-0 I think this one was about £3.00

and

Knots & Ropework...isbn 1-84309-146-1 I paid £3.99 from "The Works"

The top one has illustrations in colour of dozens of knots, the lower one uses sequential colour photographs of over 200 tying techniques etc etc...

Try the online book shops...you might get new or second hand ones...

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE