frosts clipper info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys i have just bought a frosts clipper from ebay and it sould be coming soon but i would like a bit of info on the clipper i.e is it strong , how long will it last ect i have looked around on te net but i cant seem to find any
also as the clipper is a very popular knife for beginers i figured that it could help alot of others looking to purchuse this knife rather than just helping me
thanks leon

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
You need to be a bit more specific in your questions Leon. So far you've asked...

is it strong?
Well yes and no. It is alot stronger than a banana, but not as strong as a diamond. It is stronger when you are cutting with it than when you are trying to lever the lid off of a paint tin (which will usually make the tip of the knife snap off BTW)

how long will it last ?
How long is a piece of string? What I mean to say is it will last longer than you will live if it is looked after, not abused, not allowed to rust away etc. etc. However if you stick it in a vat of acid, or accidentaly leave it on the moon it will not last very long.

I'm not trying to be rude Leon, but if there are any more specific questions fire away :)

Marts

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
it is a stainless steel version so i shouldnt have that much of a problem with rust what else will i need to do to look after it except for sharpening
in mors kochankis book it says that if you can hammer your knife all the way into a tree and then stand on it without it breaking then it is a good knife will i be able to do this not that i am planning to but i was just wondering
also have you had much experience with tis knife and was it any good for you
thanks leon

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Leon, the Clipper is strong enough to cope with virtually all things you will do with a knife within the relms of bushcraft, if you use the correct techniques you will be able to cut,carve,batton,skin,feather sticks etc etc without harming the knife. Its ideal to learn with as even if you damage the knife they are cheap enough not to get upset over.
How long will it last ?, well that depends on how you use it and look after it, after a while you may wish to either carry on using the clipper or purchase something else either out of need or desire.
Good luck with your Bushcraft career and dont forget to get out as often as you can and practice the craft. ;)

Reactions: Aliwren

leon-1

leon-b said:
in mors kochankis book it says that if you can hammer your knife all the way into a tree and then stand on it without it breaking then it is a good knife will i be able to do this not that i am planning to but i was just wondering
also have you had much experience with tis knife and was it any good for you
thanks leon

Leon, Mors uses one of these knives.

I have one (the carbon version) and it's very good indeed. The only thing that I have done to mine is square off the spine of the knife using a diamond file, apart from that they are very good straight out of the box.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i am planning on filing down the spine so that it will work with firesteel aswell

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The plastic sheath they come with isn't so strong - I've been careful with mine so far but I've heard they snap easily. All the more reason to practice your leathwork with a custom sheath! When using a plastic sheath, I've been advised to slice off the bottom to let water drain out.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think that the plastic standered sheath already comes with a hole in the bottom
and i was thinking of making a sheath do you know rougly how much it would cost
thanks leon

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The standing on a knife stuck in a tree has been done by some of the "more senior" ;) members here. If you look around there's a video of it. However I think that it was a full tang knife. The stick tang in a mora may not cope with this as well - plus it's not avery nice thing to do to a tree (when the guys here did it it was on a tree that was scheduled for the chop anyway)

Stainless is exactly what it says - stainless It doesn't mean it won't rust, just not as quickly as a carbon blade.

I have several Moras. They are good all round knives and I particularly like them for green wood carving, which is what I seem to do most of :rolleyes:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
i have the carbon blade clipper, great knife and strong enough for most things. i purchased (unable to make my own :( ) a leather sheath to replace the plastic one that came with it. they are very sharp out of the box and just need a little work on the spine in order to use with a fire steel. the only other thing i did was drill a small lanyard hole in the handle, but that was just for personal preference. they really are good knives...cheers....stu

leon-1

leon-b said:
i think that the plastic standered sheath already comes with a hole in the bottom
and i was thinking of making a sheath do you know rougly how much it would cost
thanks leon

It depends on materials you want to use, leather costs about £3.70 for a square foot. If you are making a dangler sheath you will need a D ring as well.

Good heavy grade linen thread can be bought in lengths of about 10 meters, cost is about 85p.

You'll need some contact adhesive (I tend to use PVA, but anything will do).

After that it is time and the design for making one.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a couple of questions
how easy is it and how long does it take for the stainless version to rust?
how do you take care of it when it has rusted?
how do you prevent it from rusting?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Marts said:
The standing on a knife stuck in a tree has been done by some of the "more senior" ;) members here. If you look around there's a video of it. However I think that it was a full tang knife. The stick tang in a mora may not cope with this as well - plus it's not avery nice thing to do to a tree (when the guys here did it it was on a tree that was scheduled for the chop anyway

If I remember correctly it was a stick tang Pukko, done to demonstrate that a stick tang is plenty strong enough to cope with that 'test'.
The Scandinavians have been making and using knives for quite some time and know a thing or two about knife making, I think I'm right in saying the majority of their knives being made with stick tangs.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I picked up a carbon 740 recently for my first fixed blad knife in a looong time.
From what I've been reading about knives recently, keeping it dry and storing it in a dry atmosphere should stop it from rusting.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks dommy
does any one know where i can see that video because i have looked around but i cant find it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
ok thanks dommy
does any one know where i can see that video because i have looked around but i cant find it
Hi Leon-b mate (as opposed to Leon-1),

Worry not about hammering your frost into a tree and standing on it - its a fairly extreme test and really not that relevant in the real world (although I'm happy to see you got Mors K's book - what do you think of it?). If you do get any rust on your blade, rub the rust of with some fine wire wool (or your Mums kitchen scouring pas when she's not looking ;)). Give the blade a wipe over with some oil (wither a quirt of 3 in 1 from the shed (ask your dad for some), or WD40 from the car (comes in a spray can or even a wipe with cooking oil. Always clean any gunk (tree sap etc.) off it after use and give it a light wipe with an oily cloth.

Tada - no rust

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes we have got some wd40 so i will just put a bit of that on every now and again
i am enjoying mors k bushcraft i am just past half way into it in the shelters paragraph great book i also got food for free and trees both collins gem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE