frosts clipper info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes you know the post about your £5 sharpening kit is the sharpening kit any good

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
Marts said:
how long will it last ?
accidentaly leave it on the moon it will not last very long.

on the moon it would last alot longer then down here :p no wind ,water,,or any erosive force

sorry :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes you know the post about your £5 sharpening kit is the sharpening kit any good
Used well it is as effective as a £50 set of bench stones mate. You will need to get some of the finer papers (1,500 grit and maybe a bit finer) to get the mirror polish. To be honest though, with a bit of imaginantion, you can do it for next to nothing. If you struggle, I'll coach you through it till you get it right.

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used one of Reds kits on a couple of Mora's, shaving sharp in very little time, didn't worry about the real fine sheets, just a pack of assorted from Halfords...

The hair on my arm has now grown back ready for when I do a re-sharpen on the stash of other blades I now have...

LS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

You can use my kit any time LS - just stay away from my flint & steel ;) (LS can kill tinder by blowing on it - go figure)

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
:)

You can use my kit any time LS - just stay away from my flint & steel ;) (LS can kill tinder by blowing on it - go figure)

Red

Thanks Red...

I guess that I will have to try a wee dram of meths to help with the fire lighting!!!

LS

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i should be going into town this weekend so i will get some wet and dry
what grits do you reccomend

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
lol you are so funny cormac

We try our best Leon...we get loads of laughs when I try the flint and steel, and even more laughs when I breath fire after Reds chilli... :lmao:

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
ok i should be going into town this weekend so i will get some wet and dry
what grits do you reccomend

Red will be best to answer this one, but I just went into the local Halfords and found a multi grade pack, you will also need some ply wood and carpet tape to make your boards up.

LS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Go for 240, 400 and 600 (or fairly close). If you can get anything finer (say 1,000 or 1,500) grab a sheet. If not, Theres a website where its 79p a sheet including p&p or thereabouts. Try to grab some spray adhesive (photomount) or a bit of double sided tape if you haven't already got some. Then you'll just need some board to stick down on. You will need patience and care the first time you do it, but trust me it works.

Next lesson after that is to carve feather sticks with at least one complete circle on each feather (two is better) ;). The only way to do that is sit in the garden and practice!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will get 240,400,600 and 1000 grit
i quite like the carving side of bushcraft i have started a spoon but the old knife that i was using wasnt up to it so i am just going to wait for my clipper

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You may struggle to find 1,000 grit mate. Don't worry too much. Try with up to 600 grit first. When you have the hang of that I'll tell you where to get the fine stuff

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
is it harder to carve a spoon than to carve a feather stick

No Leon, it is much easier to do a feather stick than a spoon, though most of my spoons do end up as feather sticks by the time I have finished with them...

They have been likened to paddles...

LS

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i thought carving a featherstick would be easier is there a certain type of wood you recommend or can you use any

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE