Frosts clipper blade shortening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Yep, no problem. mark your desired shape /length and slowly remove material with the weapon of your choice, i use a belt sander with initially a coarse grit progressively finer, making sure you dont over heat blade,.. patience my boy... use of oil or water to keep blade temp low. Im sure someone will disapprove of this but i have shortened / reprofiled loads of stuff in this way and have not lost temper/ edge holding etc etc...

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I agree - it is perfectly possible! (I often alter blade shapes)

slow and steady is the key to keep it cool to save the heat treat / temper!

I use a mini grinding disk on a dremel and cut the blade underwater in a shallow tray (just make sure the spray goes away from you unless its a HOT day! ;) ) - If you use a plastic tray like me don't forget to put a bit of scrap wood at the bottom so you don't cut a hole in the tray!

Have a go! - and lets see the result:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you tried removing the handle and shortening the blade/extending the tang in a new handle. Two birds with one stone....
John

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
If you dont feel brave enough give us a shout and ill do it for you

Nice offer mate! :D - I was going to offer the same but decided it is kinda fun (in a scarey sort of way) and that GF would like the satisfaction of trying it himself:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE