from Gtex to Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
he he

I have been using Gtex and the like for the last few years, and while I do like it ( keeps me dry), I find it feels unnatural when I'm out. And most of the time I'll only wear my swanndri and only put my Gtex when its pouring down.
Being a little pyromaniac I'm always poking in the fire and playing around with it. But I'm super conscious about the sparks that come off it. And really annoyed about the 2 holes I burned on my left arm :(
I looked at Ventile in the past but wasn't to sure if it was the right thing for me. But after reading all the good AND bad things that you put up about it I convinced that Ventile is better for me then Gtex or other synthetic fabric.

But now I have a bit of a problem, most off the ventile jackets that I can find are anoraks or only to hip height.

Now I was wondering whether you guys could help me with my search. What I'm looking for is a jacket with full zip and about the same length as a Swanndri mosgiel shirt ( almost to knee lenght ) as that's what I normally wear under my Gtex.

Thanks In advance

Bas

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
Thanks Toddy. I'll have a look around.

And Prawnster, I know it would come cheap :p. But I have been saving up for this the last few months. But yeah it's not really a purchase that I would ore can make regularly.

Bas

Noddy

Nomad
Jul 12, 2006
Away
Snowsled's Wilderness and Osprey Jackets come to a little past halfway down your thigh, and (I am guessing) that their Heritage jacket is a little bit longer

http://www.snowsled.com/clothing/clothing_range.htm

Some of the west winds gear looks long too. I hear that Hilltrek will make up clothes - not exactly to spec but will adapt thei existing lines

And I've seen post from several people here who have run up their own smocks etc. That might be something worth pursuing in the bespoke line of things

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Make your own? enough Ventile suppliers are listed here and if you aren't handy with a sewing machine you could probably find a tailor who will put one together for you, especially if you own a Swanndri Mosgiel shirt that he or she could base the pattern on.

:)

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
Everyone thanks.

It looks like I'm going to safe some money as well. Don't know why but the prices on UK shops for ventile clothing are much lower then here in Holland.

I just found a Dutch supplier off Hilltrek but the prices are just insane.
It would cost me 500 euro's for the Gelncoe jacket :|, But only 300 euro's in the UK.

But now I just have to make my mind up what it's going to be.
I really like the BCUK ventile jacket, and I'll have a chat with them to see if it can be made to length.
Then again the Hilltrek option is there to and the possibility to have one made to order like Sandbender said.

choices choices choices.

I'll have a good think about it, and have a chat with the suppliers.

But again Thanks all.

Bas

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Speak to Andywink, a member here, as he is making SAS style smocks from Ventile to order. Custom length shouldn't be a problem.

I did a review of mine a few weeks ago. Sorry, I don't know how to link to the thread, but it is on the second screen of member reviews part of the forum.

Simon

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I can certainly recommend the BCUK jacket.
I like saving up for the best kit around and the BCUK jacket is probably my favourite bit of kit.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Everyone thanks.

It looks like I'm going to safe some money as well. Don't know why but the prices on UK shops for ventile clothing are much lower then here in Holland.

I just found a Dutch supplier off Hilltrek but the prices are just insane.
It would cost me 500 euro's for the Gelncoe jacket :|, But only 300 euro's in the UK.

But now I just have to make my mind up what it's going to be.
I really like the BCUK ventile jacket, and I'll have a chat with them to see if it can be made to length.
Then again the Hilltrek option is there to and the possibility to have one made to order like Sandbender said.

choices choices choices.

I'll have a good think about it, and have a chat with the suppliers.

But again Thanks all.

Bas

If you go for the Hilltrek jacket , order one direct from Bill at Hilltrek - with the very strong Euro it will seem very cheap, and postage to the Netherlands is easy with no duty. If you do get a Hilltrek jacket, ask them to make you one with a bigger hood, as the hood is cut a little tight for some people

Nonsuch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE