Fried Green Tomatoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This recipe is very, very close to mine. The only difference is I use only cornmeal (no adding of flour) due to my daughter's Celiac condition. I also offer ranch dressing as an optional condiment when I serve these. They're great as either a side dish with the main meal or as an appetizer:

1966762_693618804014508_500296013_n.jpg

Here is a Southern classic! Making these delicious treats isn't as hard as everyone thinks, but make sure you buy good local produce for the best flavor! (or grow your own)

Fried Green Tomatoes...

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
Vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt. See More — with April Lang at Beaufort Online.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great! I can inhale lots of those.

I thought the original TexMex thing was really fried green tomatillos?
Friends don't let friends eat fried green tomatillos. Ugly, ugly taste.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great! I can inhale lots of those.

I thought the original TexMex thing was really fried green tomatillos?
Friends don't let friends eat fried green tomatillos. Ugly, ugly taste.

They're not Tex-Mex. They're Deep South (I believe originally from Georgia but I could be wrong) The originals were likely fried in bacon grease rather than veg oil as modern ones are.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I miss them, the tomato kind. Practically impossible to convince anyone here to pick big green tomatoes.
I don't seem capable of planning ahead and growing my own! For the number of times (rare) that I'd do this,
a little hit of bacon grease is a long satisfaction.

Have you ever used corn flour (not corn starch) to do these?

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
We had a glut of green unsnlast year, hope for more ripe this year with our greenhouse, but we shall no doubt be trying this recipe later in the summer, if summer ever arrives !

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I miss them, the tomato kind. Practically impossible to convince anyone here to pick big green tomatoes.
I don't seem capable of planning ahead and growing my own! For the number of times (rare) that I'd do this,
a little hit of bacon grease is a long satisfaction.

Have you ever used corn flour (not corn starch) to do these?

Nothing wrong with bacon grease :)

I've used corn flour for a few things but not this. I might try that but TBH pure cornmeal works pretty well.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We had a glut of green unsnlast year, hope for more ripe this year with our greenhouse, but we shall no doubt be trying this recipe later in the summer, if summer ever arrives !

Best to remember to only cook what you can eat in one sitting. While they're great when fresh, hot , and crisp; they're not so great as leftovers.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I first tried making these back in 1992; I'd watched the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes @ The Whistle Stop Cafe" on a very driech summer day in Fort William the previous summer.
Must say I love them and will give Santamans take on them a turn.
Have done them as a mixed platter with apples and Aubergine (eggplant to our American chums) also done in a similar way. The sharp taste of the green toms is very nice and a good way to use ip a glut of them.
I like the word "glut" - has comforting connotations of mid summer and halcyon days. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's a hit with the kids: pick some green tomatoes.
Cut holes or other designs in aluminum foil and carefully wrap the green tomatoes.
Keep the fruit on the windowsill to ripen/color up = you get pink tomatoes with red spots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE