Friction folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have made myself a couple of friction folders, using off cuts of steel and bits and pieces I had lying around.

The little one. Including the tail , the 3mm thick blade is 4" long. The pivot point is 2 1/2" from the tip. The handle is just about 2 1/2" long, an offcut of stabilised Burr Elm. Pivot is 4 mm steel (from a tent peg!) and a couple of flattened copper roves, the stop pin is 2.5mm brass rod from a model shop. Now lives in my pocket permanently!

The bigger one. The blade (4mm thick offcut) is 4 1/4" long including the tail. The tail is shorter, 35mm to the pivot so the blade is 2 1/2" long. The handle on this one is Boxwood, a very hard dense wood.

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

DSCN1064.jpg

When I get some more metal in, I am going to make a "bushcraft" friction folder, with a 3" to 4" blade, with a stronger pin and probably Boxwood handle! Got it all planned in my head..

Enjoy them!

What do you think of the Bushcraft friction folder idea?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Those are just lovely, I so wish I had that kind of skill. And please post pictures of the next one.

Green eyed!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice work! Gotta love friction folders :D

My thoughts on a Bushy FF - thick, sturdy pin as you say - *** are simple enough that I don't believe they would be incapable of pretty heavy work (heavy for a folder at least!) with sturdy enough pins. Would also be nice if the tang was hard enough to use a firesteel! Should make a nice alternative to a fixed blade, a bit more native friendly :D

Pete

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Very nice work! Gotta love friction folders :D

My thoughts on a Bushy FF - thick, sturdy pin as you say - *** are simple enough that I don't believe they would be incapable of pretty heavy work (heavy for a folder at least!) with sturdy enough pins. Would also be nice if the tang was hard enough to use a firesteel! Should make a nice alternative to a fixed blade, a bit more native friendly :D

Pete

Actually, that's a good idea, using the tang for the firesteel, saves the back of the blade, and you could use it with the knife closed. Shouldn't be too difficult hardening the tang. If I can keep the tang hard enough, we could also use that with a piece of flint...

Any other ideas welcome!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Love that 'little un' ( like them all to be honest,but thats my fave!)
If there was a way of using the tang for fire duties but keeping most of the filework
(which realy adds to the whole look,beauty in a utilitarian world!) then they would be perfect! Just add a neat leather belt case!!
Are you going into limited prodution on these babies? If so would you consider putting me down for one!?
My best.
Chris.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Actually, that's a good idea, using the tang for the firesteel, saves the back of the blade, and you could use it with the knife closed. Shouldn't be too difficult hardening the tang. If I can keep the tang hard enough, we could also use that with a piece of flint...

Any other ideas welcome!

That flint n steel idea would rock too :D

Problem, though, with getting the tang that hard IMO is that it might break if it was a conventional steel, especially since the tang is so narrow.. I think that Mike Ameling experimented with some tougher modern steels for use as a steel striker belt buckle, so he may have suggestions as to what could be hard and tough enough...

Pete

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Nice. The rounded end to the tang is a good idea. I've got a lovely wee friction folder I use for EDC and have poked my hand a few times on the squared end when searching for it in a pocket.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for all the nice comments. :)

Justin. That's why I rounded it. I wanted to keep the knife in my pocket and didn't want sharp corners in there!

Shinken. Yes It's nice wood. Just a shame I am running out of it!

Draven. Yeah, I thought about the possibility of breaking the tang if it's too hard. I also thought it may be possible to attach a hardened bit of steel to the soft tang, could be riveted. The first blade won't have that, because I have already cut it, using 3mm. I'll make another one out of 4mm, and I think I'll try to rivet a hardened piece to the back of the tang. That may work.

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
I'm with Chris the Cat. The small one would be very welcome in my pocket. Are you considering making to order or a small production and offer. They look to be worth odering even with any hassles of sending to the US. Great Work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE