Friction folder with bone handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I finished this mountainman (ish) friction folder this week.

DSCN1192.jpg

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

Overall, it's 7" long, the cutting edge is 70 mm long, so it's a legal EDC. The blade is a convex, rather than my more usual scandi, grind. I etched the whole blade overnight with mustard, wrapped in some twisted clingfim. That's given a really nice pattern to the etch.

The handle is also different from what I normally do with my folders. The liners are blued steel, the scales are bone, the spacer is brass. I used bronze washers on the pivot, so the knife folds very smoothly. The whole things is riveted with steel rivets (well, I used nails)

I am playing with the idea of doing some scrimshaw on the bone handle. Maybe I'll practice on some spare bone first :rolleyes:

Sorry, the pics aren't that good. I just can't get the white bone scale to show up better. I'll try again tomorrow, to show the back of the knife and the neck sheath I made for it.

Hope you like it. I certainly do :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
They are lovely looking knives, very nice work.:approve:

If i was to change one little bit i would hide some of the pins.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks! the blade is 01, the liners are just plain old steel from B&Q, something like 0.75mm I think. Once shaped I heated the liners with a blow torch to blue them. The pins are just riveted ordinary steel nails. The bone scales come from Pet at Home, filled dog bones. Give the filling to the dogs,wash them well! I chose the thickest/flattest I could find. Messy things to use though. It stinks and the dust is probably not very good for you, so wear a dust mask and work outside, preferably on a windy day and keep the wind on your back as much as possible! But once sanded and polished, it's lovely!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks! the blade is 01, the liners are just plain old steel from B&Q, something like 0.75mm I think. Once shaped I heated the liners with a blow torch to blue them. The pins are just riveted ordinary steel nails. The bone scales come from Pet at Home, filled dog bones. Give the filling to the dogs,wash them well! I chose the thickest/flattest I could find. Messy things to use though. It stinks and the dust is probably not very good for you, so wear a dust mask and work outside, preferably on a windy day and keep the wind on your back as much as possible! But once sanded and polished, it's lovely!

Great use of available material to make a useful and good looking tool. :)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Some great work there Jo! Have you riend local butchers for bones? Most sell them for a few pence and I'm sure they'd be easier to clean than 'filled' ones.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I haven't tried the butcher no. Mind you the Pet at Home bone are cleaned up of all the flesh, and probably bleached and the filling they put in there easy to remove, though I may give a go to the butcher's as they probably will be bigger, I'll just have to work out the best way to clean them up.

Some more pics, taken after getting some advice on taking better pics on the photography thread:

DSCN1230.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1232.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE