freshwater gill netting, legal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I know nothing of this,, but I wonder if someone in the know could tell me if gill netting or seine netting is illegal or legal in british rivers?

I know targetting Salmon is illegal, but I believe some people still use nets to catch migrating sea bass. So what is the position with regard to being in posession of a gill net?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Illegal to members of the general public, but the EA reserve the right to grant license to certain people (gill nets that is)... normally those doing scientific research or working for the local fishery.... but getting a license just to catch fish.... not a chance.

Some places allow you to fish with a net..... the severn estuary for example has a long tradition of using hand cast nets.... but again a license is needed and only so many licenses are granted every year.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
So what is the position with regard to being in posession of a gill net?
Being caught by a baliff near a river / lake / res with a gill net can result in a £300 fine (on average)..... though if you have fish on you that they suspect caught with the net (or by other illegal means), all your equipment can be confiscated and forefit.... including your car which you are using to transport illegaly poached fish!!!

Ed

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ed said:
Being caught by a baliff near a river / lake / res with a gill net can result in a £300 fine (on average)..... though if you have fish on you that they suspect caught with the net (or by other illegal means), all your equipment can be confiscated and forefit.... including your car which you are using to transport illegaly poached fish!!!

Ed

Hmmm, OK, that would seem to require they need to demonstrate some intent, rather than starightforward posession is illegal?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
In Norway the rules are similar as yours on salmon and sea trout, a few have the right to use nets, while most cannot.

On inland trout you can do pretty much whatever the landowner allows you to. At least if there are no additional local rules for protecting big lake trout. Several types of whitefish are also special spawning fisheries on.

There is one rule though (specifically directed at poachers I think):
You cannot spear trout with the aid of arteficial light. An extremely effective method. Sometimes even more effective than netting. Making a quick getaway is easy, just throw the torch in the water and run. Of course noone should try this if it is illegal where you live. In daylight you can use the spear if you want.

Also no dynamite is allowed (luckily), but guns are. There is also a dispute on whether bows and arrows are legal (as spearguns are).

Torjus Gaaren

leon-1

Ed, we still have Salmon fishing here on the Dart. They are also using nets (I used to work with one of the guys that does it for a living), with him there was some kind of family connection (basically his grandfathers fathers father and all down through the generations have been doing it) and the only people that seem to be able to get a license for it are members of his family.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
leon-1 said:
Ed, we still have Salmon fishing here on the Dart. They are also using nets (I used to work with one of the guys that does it for a living), with him there was some kind of family connection (basically his grandfathers fathers father and all down through the generations have been doing it) and the only people that seem to be able to get a license for it are members of his family.

Some people are just luckier than others... :(

Torjus Gaaren

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think they still fish with coracles on the Teifi - about 4 or 6 pairs of licences I think, something like that. There's a coracle museum at Cenarth.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Am I right in thinking that gill netting for bass etc is legal without a licence in the sea?
This is to be a local bylaw issue.... in our area, there is a limit on length, where on the tidal area they can be set, length of stakes (visable above ground), how often they have to be staked, and the ends of your nets need to be marked with bouys marked 'NET' with a contact phone number on them....

I'm sure the EA can give you the details of where you can get a copy of your local bylaws.

Ed

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ed said:
This is to be a local bylaw issue.... in our area, there is a limit on length, where on the tidal area they can be set, length of stakes (visable above ground), how often they have to be staked, and the ends of your nets need to be marked with bouys marked 'NET' with a contact phone number on them....

I'm sure the EA can give you the details of where you can get a copy of your local bylaws.

Ed

Thanks Ed. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE