French F1 Commando Tent (canvas) preview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Just picked up this tent from military mart for £22 and thought I'd give it a whirl whilst taking the boys out.
Really impressed at what you get for the money, quality is good and there is acres of room (up against a lavvu). No issues with condensation and ended up with my wife and I and our youngest in it for the night. Vid is a bit of fun as I was trying to keep the kids entertained at the same time.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
only slightly disappointed you didn't go in for a commando roll after hurdling over the tent. Nice looking tent.

Reactions: nobby8126

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I have read several reviews of these tents, and having one, am amazed that people get more than one adult in them! Where does any kit go?
Much as I like and use mine, like the lavvu, it is strictly a solo tent in my book:O_O:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I have read several reviews of these tents, and having one, am amazed that people get more than one adult in them! Where does any kit go?
Much as I like and use mine, like the lavvu, it is strictly a solo tent in my book:O_O:

It looks like there's a tarp in line with the tent, so I suppose that's where anything that needs sheltering from an overnight shower would go.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Just stood up to about 10% annual rainfall in a matter of hrs.....;) tough liitle tent. Performed well above it's pay grade. Dry within, despite exposed zips. Slept well.
(polycotton F1)

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’ve owned a canvas F1 for twenty plus seasons. They were an early release and then rarity until the
Plastic versions currently sold. Canvas is still a rare bird in the US.
It went on a ‘Winter Camping Course’ hosted by the ghost of the once mighty Sierra Club. It was the last big snowfall before our California drought kicked in.
I dug a trench , laid two pine branches as snow anchors ( Uh, is that legal?) while these REI types were struggling with new gear from the suggested gear list. They put the gay pride parade to shame and
My ‘ Jack London ‘ reenactment gear was subject Ed to insult or infatuation. Nightfall and I was curled up in my down bag. Again, l
Was admonished that down gets wet by a guy in designer bluejeans.
Snow and wind started hitting us about midnight.
I heard three tents collapse ( improper assembly, placement and staking.)
Next day I had five offers to buy it.
The olive drab IS DARK and you can easily oversleep. There’s a reason creme colored wall tents are popular. An extended stay in these can induce cabin fever and mild depression!
The juncture of the zippers is the Achilles heal in insect country. Even the new plastic with full netting have this flaw. A kit of cloth, soaked in a mild repellent stuffed at the intersection solves that issue.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE