French Belt Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Here are some photos of a belt pouch inspired by an 18th century French slit pouch. Size is indicated by the 2 1/2 inch brass compass. The other item is a salt/pepper shaker made from a piece of elk antler.

The pouch is constructed of tanned moose hide, and is hand sewn.

BeltPouch.jpg

e0773c6b.jpg

FrenchBeltPouch001.jpg

FrenchBeltPouch002.jpg

PG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pierre, That is the most beautiful pouch I think I've ever seen! I love the sections, the simplicity and the elegance of the design - looks to be fairly soft too which would be a bonus - some of the heavy solid pouches can be a grind to wear.

Fantastic work - if I ever learn to do one tenth of things you can I'd be proud as anything

Red

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
stuart f said:
Nice, simple and functional i like it, did you make it yourself Pierre?

Ouie. :)

Like you said - simple. Took me longer to put up the photos than it did to sew the pouch.

BR: Think you've had too much single malt.

PG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
Ouie. :)

Like you said - simple. Took me longer to put up the photos than it did to sew the pouch.

BR: Think you've had too much single malt.

PG
Pierre,

I wish - on meds for four months now - can't drink :rant:

Really like that design though - no buckles to faff with, not gonna gouge you when you sit down, way of keeping your stuff separate - fantastic

Take a compliment man! : ;)

Red

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
Pierre,

I wish - on meds for four months now - can't drink :rant:

Really like that design though - no buckles to faff with, not gonna gouge you when you sit down, way of keeping your stuff separate - fantastic

Take a compliment man! : ;)

Red

Eh! :eek: :rolleyes:

PG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh now that is good :D I am impressed. :You_Rock_
Might copy the idea if you don't mind, I've been given some beautiful, fine weight goat skin, and I've been looking for something useful to make from it.

Cheers,
Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Pierre, that is primitive sophistication at its best. Cracking job!

I,m working on a pouch, right now, just fettling the odds and ends: seems to be a lot of them. Clearly, somewhere in the process, the whole thing has evolved and otherwise self- transmogrified , into something of a "big girls blouse".

So, with mine, I,ve missed the target of elegant simplicity .

Will post ,when I,m done .....(probably end up lookin like rappers street art)

Ceeg

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
Oh now that is good :D I am impressed. :You_Rock_
Might copy the idea if you don't mind, I've been given some beautiful, fine weight goat skin, and I've been looking for something useful to make from it.

Cheers,
Toddy

Please feel free. And a thank you to everyone else for the kind comments.

PG

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Nice work Mr G.

I'm gonna be ordering some leather this week and I think a similar pouch will be going on my 'things to make' list.

I must say I've used this kind of opening on bags and pouches before and I find it most effective.

Thanks

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I like it! - can we see the salt / pepper shaker as well - that looks interesting as well!, hows that made mate?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup I definately like that, going to play around with some of the leather I've got here soon, need to make some mocs, but I should have enough spare to make that,. Well done. :You_Rock_

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
g4ghb said:
I like it! - can we see the salt / pepper shaker as well - that looks interesting as well!, hows that made mate?

Just drilling large holes into antler - which is plugged with smaller bits of antler - which is plugged with a nail.

Back to work. No photos for a while as they take so long for me to upload. My son says we have a program which reduces the size of photos so they upload quicker, but I've yet to become proficient using it.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Not that the pattern is hard to figure, but to cheat. just print the photo, blow it up on a copy machine, Double it (of you've taken a photo of the front view). Fold it in half lengthwise - to get symmetry [sp?], and cut it out. Each smaller is graduated downward in equal size from its backing.

It is a versatile pattern and you can do whatever you wish. You can put a belt loop on the back, or just put one side of the pouch over your belt and the other outside the belt. If the outside pouch slams around too much for you, sew a leather lace on the inside pocket and punch a hole on the outside pocket (at the bottom of each). Make sure the lace is over size. Drawing the lace through the hole will tighten the two pouches together, yet give you easy access when needed.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE